SO how many are upgrading from the 4s to the 5 ?

Associate
I have to say though, that Lumia 920 looks very tasty indeed.

It does doesn't it. I don't think it will be able to break through in this country though, everything is geared toward the iPhone. That, and the fact the Lumia is a bit of a brick.

Associate
I can't really see the advantage of the 5 over the 4s unless you really need the extra screen size. My 4s feels very smooth and fast so the extra speed bump doesn't appeal, actually the biggest temptation for me is more storage space I only got the 16gb one and I constantly have to delete stuff to free up room.

Soldato
No because it's hugely disappointing.

I'm not even on a contract, I bought my 4S direct from Apple, so it would be very easy to sell on my 4S and buy the new one but I'm still not fussed. Maybe I'll change my mind when I see one in the flesh but I'm still disappointed with the 5 on paper.

A lot of people on here are defending it and saying it has improved CPU/Ram/technical specifications. You're forgetting though, it's an iPhone not a gaming-rig or a supercomputer. The 4S is rapid as it is, I really don't care if Safari/Facebook/Sky News load 2ms faster than they already do.

I'll accept I have probably set my expectations too high but there's nothing revolutionary about the iPhone 5.

Man of Honour
A lot of people on here are defending it and saying it has improved CPU/Ram/technical specifications. You're forgetting though, it's an iPhone not a gaming-rig or a supercomputer. The 4S is rapid as it is, I really don't care if Safari/Facebook/Sky News load 2ms faster than they already do.

No, but you'd care if it meant it used a lot less power, boosting the battery life.

Soldato
The only reason I would consider upgrading is to get more storage space. Apart from that most of the improvements that I would find useful are all software based so I think I will hold off, and thats coming from someone who upgraded to a 4s from a 4 on launch day.

Soldato
I'll accept I have probably set my expectations too high but there's nothing revolutionary about the iPhone 5.

And that’s the problem, people were setting their expectations too high. Honestly were people expecting?!?!!? It’s a phone, nothing in the mobile world should be taking us by surprise which we haven’t seen before. Whether its Apple, Samsung or Nokia.

Soldato
And that’s the problem, people were setting their expectations too high. Honestly were people expecting?!?!!? It’s a phone, nothing in the mobile world should be taking us by surprise which we haven’t seen before. Whether its Apple, Samsung or Nokia.

I agree, the thing is the iPhone is already fantastic and pretty much everything it does. Even the camera on the 4S is great. I took it travelling with me for 3 months and some of the shorts are comparable to my Nikon J1, so even if they'd shoved a 12MP lump in I still wouldn't have cared.

But unfortunately no one can claim the iPhone 5 is revolutionary. A great example of something that would blow me away would be a new type of battery that can power the thing for 3-4 days at a time.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I don't think the 4S to 5 is a massive upgrade. However, I can't accept people's opinions that the 5 should have been better. I think people are just upset because Apple have stuck with their tried and tested style and didn't put in some crazy new feature never seen before. The fact is that as a phone it's a fantastic package and more than a match for the offerings from Samsung and HTC.

Soldato
I was ready to pre order but I'm not going to bother. All it adds over my 4s is a slightly longer screen and a faster processor (which probably won't be noticeable in the real world anyway).

If the Lumia gets awesome reviews I'm going to pick that up. If not I'll stick with my 4s until something that tickles my fancy.

Commissario
Yes. It's new and it's shiny.

This is the first time I've not pre-ordered though, I've got a lot going on in October so I've not got the ready cash sitting around. I'll probably look up picking one up off contract in about a months time.

Man of Honour
It's a completely pointless upgrade for me, but I'm still doing it, why? Because I can afford it

Sick of having to justify it to people all day at work or on here

"LOL you're spending all that money on a phone that has only one extra row of icons?"

Yet these are the same people that will go out each and every weekend and spend £100+ on alcohol and have nothing to show for it other than a headache

Yes, I'm mardy today

Soldato
The same people might laugh at someone who would spend £300 just to have the latest iPhone.

I absolutely love my gadgets and funnily enough my mates have mocked me for years for being the geek who has to have the latest phone etc but not this time. Basically if they'd skipped the 4S then the iPhone 4 to iPhone 5 would be a decent and wholly justified upgrade IMO.

Soldato
Had a Iphone4 for the last 26 months I think I will change to a Samsung note2 once its out.. main reason i want to use a Keybaord and mouse as well as extra storage.. I'll buy the phone outright

Associate
I'm upgrading from my Samsung Galaxy S3. Before that, I had the iPhone 4S. Traded in my 4S for £310 so I got the S3 for only £40. Now I'll get £260 for the S3, so I'll have another £260 odd to pay for the 5.

So I guess I can say I am indeed upgrading from a 4S to a 5, and I cannot bloody wait!

Last edited:
Associate
I don't think the 4S to 5 is a massive upgrade. However, I can't accept people's opinions that the 5 should have been better. I think people are just upset because Apple have stuck with their tried and tested style and didn't put in some crazy new feature never seen before. The fact is that as a phone it's a fantastic package and more than a match for the offerings from Samsung and HTC.

Indeed!

As regards "it's not different enough", I reckon unless they made it starfish-shaped then people wouldn't have been happy to be honest! For me, I I'm only changing from a 4S because I can and because that's what I felt like doing Friday gone though....

Soldato
Not sure why 4S owners are getting their knickers in the twist. I'd say this upgrade is mostly geared towards 4 owners than 4S owners.

Back
Top Bottom