adsl2+ speed increases

Soldato
Hey,

BT finally upgraded their systems around here, Aquiss gave me a completion date of today and I've just tested my speeds.

Download is averaging 8.59Mbps, that's 2Mbps more than normal and a upload of 0.74Mbps which is the same.

Does it take a while for the speeds to sort themselves out, I know when we first went to adsl it took 10 days for the speeds to equalise, or is this just the best I can expect around here? :(

Soldato
OP
ok, had a bit of time tonight, well made some after my speeds have fallen through the floor.

stats.jpg

Now when it was first done it was hitting 8mbps and the router downstream speed was showing 12000kbs. A couple of days later and speedtest was getting to 6.06Mbps and it was just staying at that, as though it was hitting a ceiling.

Speedtest is now now showing 2.7Mbps download and 0.93 upload speeds. I'm going to fire Aquiss an email tomorrow to see what is going on but is there anything my end I could be checking?

This weekend i'm going to disconnect everything where the phone line comes in, connect router to phone box with a standard 1m phone cable and then a laptop in to the router with a 1m cat5 and see if that makes any difference.

Soldato
Line attenuation is fantastic however, your noise margin is through the roof. Ring them up and tell them that! Needs to be dropped back down to 6~8 (depending on stability).
Also, do not reboot/turn off your router for a few weeks whilst they're making changes.

Soldato
OP
Emailed ISP today about setting up the new router and raised a concern about the noise as suggested and got this response:
In terms of the noise margin, this can be reset, but the line has to be stable for at least 72 hours without any drops. If the SNR is increase or the line is dropping, this will highlight a problem on your line. The noise margin increasing will have attempted to mask a possible problem.

So, going to have to reconnect the house to eliminate any issues my end then I take it contact BT and see if there are any line faults on going in the area.

Soldato
Your isp are wrong. They can ask BT to get your SNR at default as it should be 6dB by BTWholesale.

What router do you have ? You can try DMT Tool here: http://dmt.mhilfe.de/ or Routerstats Tool here: http://vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm

so u can tweak your snr down to 100% to 50% , if it doesn't work then you have to ask your ISP to ask BT to reset your SNR at 6dB.

It happen to me when my ADSL was solid 7.15Mbps with SNR of 9dB and then BT upgrade me to ADSL2+ and suddenly they put 34dB on my SNR and complaint to BT as they made a mistake at the exchange and reset it and this time I get 6dB and got solid 19 Meg.

Here is the useful information of how to increase your downstream sync rate by BTWholesale horror DLM controlled at the exchange: http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/SNR-tweak#

Last edited:
Soldato
Your upstream attenuation is strangely different from your downstream. There is usually a difference but you don't normally see it quite as marked as this. I wonder if there is some noise on the line dragging the high frequency downstream down.

Try direct In test socket and compare results.

Be wary of ever getting openreach involved if theres a chance you've got faulty equipment as they'll charge you. They Also charge for missed appointments.

Soldato
OP
Issue was the same on both routers, one of which I purchased from Ocuk on Friday. My ISP have, unknown to myself been monitoring my line over the weekend and emailed me this morning stating that they really aren't happy "with the copper line length jumping around and noise margins bouncing"

I managed to get the Router plugged in to the test socket today, brand new router, filters and cable and my connection speed is now sitting at 574Kbps, upstream is 1260Kbps and noise levels slightly less than posted above.

I've had no drops since moving to the test socket, over 10 hours ago. It was dropping ever 10-15 mins upstairs.

Bottom line, it looks like its a line issue so I do need to now mess around with BT's awful customer support.

Thanks for the links, I will check them out tomorrow hopefully.

Soldato
OP
I'm now getting the run around from BT, reply to my issue was:

"As this is a broadband issue YOUR ISP should be dealing with this for you, your ISP is just trying get you to do what they should be doing"

getting really peeved with this now :(

Associate
I'm now getting the run around from BT, reply to my issue was:

"As this is a broadband issue YOUR ISP should be dealing with this for you, your ISP is just trying get you to do what they should be doing"

getting really peeved with this now :(

they are correct.. Your isp needs to raise line faults with BTO... Bt that supply your line wont sort out line faults if it does not effect your phone service

Associate
they are correct.. Your isp needs to raise line faults with BTO... Bt that supply your line wont sort out line faults if it does not effect your phone service

It's only correct if there is no copper line fault.

Have your ISP ran a copper line test and if so what was the result? If it came back all ok and you are in the test socket and alternative kit tried but still having issues with the SNR and Sync rates varying then your ISP should send out an SFI. BTWholesale will not accept a fault if the copper line test shows a fault AND Openreach will not accept an SFI task from BTWholesale if the copper line test fails.

If however your ISP ran a line test and it came back with a copper line fault then the PSTN provider needs to resolve the issue. If BT are your line provider then connect a phone to your socket and dial 17070, it will read back the cli then after that select the option for quiet line test and see if you can hear any noise, if you do hear something then try another phone to be sure and if it is still there report a noisy line fault ***do not report a noisy line fault if its not noisy**, again if the ISP did not detect a copper line fault then get them to task out an SFI once you are satisfied that you have eliminated any possible issues at your property.

Although it would be interesting to see your current sync stats as you posted 3M @ 30dB SNR Margin now that suggests your should be able to get at least another 8M out of that although probably higher as most routers only display up to 30dB. I'd like to see what your Attenuation and SNR Margin is now although your DS at 574K looks to be a profile cap rather than a Margin cap.

EDIT:I've just seen this "I've had no drops since moving to the test socket, over 10 hours ago. It was dropping ever 10-15 mins upstairs."

That's why you are seeing what you are seeing, as you have been bouncing all over when plugged in upstairs the DLM has capped you down, you have isolated the socket you are now connected to from any faulty wiring by going directly into the test socket. I would suggest monitoring it for another 24 hours and if it is stable without any bounces then ask your ISP to carry out an SNR reset, this will increase your sync rates, if they get a bit cagey explain to them that ever since you connected to the test socket everything has been all ok and that you believe it to be a possible internal wiring issue.

Out of interest if the ISP did carry out a line test and saw a fault it wasn't by any chance a "CA - Loop" result was it?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
They ran a line test and it came up with the following:

Copper Line Test
Overview
Outcome Fault - Unbalanced Cable .

Details
Capacitance A to earth 76 NanoFarad .
Capacitance B to earth 126 NanoFarad .
DN length (estimate) 572 Metres .
Fault type Y .

lastest router info after being connected to the test socket:

router1_zps8425addf.jpg

I tried the quiet line test 4 times yesterday over the space of 2 hours, line was completely silent each time.

Associate
They ran a line test and it came up with the following:

Copper Line Test
Overview
Outcome Fault - Unbalanced Cable .

Details
Capacitance A to earth 76 NanoFarad .
Capacitance B to earth 126 NanoFarad .
DN length (estimate) 572 Metres .
Fault type Y .

lastest router info after being connected to the test socket:

router1_zps8425addf.jpg

I tried the quiet line test 4 times yesterday over the space of 2 hours, line was completely silent each time.

When was that line test ran, before or after you were in the test socket? If before hand then thats an internal wiring issue, if not then report the fault out to BT. The imbalance will make the line susceptible to noise ingress but that is a major imbalance! The B leg looks to be close to twice the length of the A leg, the DN line length estimate isnt accurate either, the A leg looks to be around 1.2-1.3Km long.

Your attenuation has dropped by 3dB and your SNRM is still high at 30dB, if system uptime is how long it has been in sync then you seem to have a stable connection in the test socket. EDIT: NVM I can see in the screenie that the PPP session has been up for 18hrs 14 mins so you have had a stable connection in the test socket.

If it remains stable for the rest of the day and the line test they ran that returned the unabalanced cable was when you were still upstairs and that a further line test ran by them when you are in the test socket comes back clear then I'd ask them to do an SNR reset. You will need to sort the internal wiring out though if you do not want to remain in the test socket(again thats if the line test does not come back as unbalanced when you are in the test socket).

Last edited:
Don
then leave them as you have every legal right to cancel now as your paying for a service thats not fit for purpose, thats one good way round it.

No, he doesn't. He only reported the fault to them two weeks ago. He needs to give them reasonable time to resolve the issue, two weeks is not reasonable time in the eye of the law. Especially as he actually has a working service, albeit it limited.

If he is out of contract, he can do what he wants though.

Soldato
OP
When was that line test ran, before or after you were in the test socket? If before hand then thats an internal wiring issue, if not then report the fault out to BT. The imbalance will make the line susceptible to noise ingress but that is a major imbalance! The B leg looks to be close to twice the length of the A leg, the DN line length estimate isnt accurate either, the A leg looks to be around 1.2-1.3Km long.

Your attenuation has dropped by 3dB and your SNRM is still high at 30dB, if system uptime is how long it has been in sync then you seem to have a stable connection in the test socket. EDIT: NVM I can see in the screenie that the PPP session has been up for 18hrs 14 mins so you have had a stable connection in the test socket.

If it remains stable for the rest of the day and the line test they ran that returned the unabalanced cable was when you were still upstairs and that a further line test ran by them when you are in the test socket comes back clear then I'd ask them to do an SNR reset. You will need to sort the internal wiring out though if you do not want to remain in the test socket(again thats if the line test does not come back as unbalanced when you are in the test socket).

I think it was actually before the test was run. I'll set it all back up downstairs with the test socket and ask them to check again. See what that says and go from there!

Thanks for the info, it's very much appreciated as it seems impossible to get a definite answer on what path to follow, and it's especially confusing when you have ISP saying one thing and BT saying another.

No, he doesn't. He only reported the fault to them two weeks ago. He needs to give them reasonable time to resolve the issue, two weeks is not reasonable time in the eye of the law. Especially as he actually has a working service, albeit it limited.

If he is out of contract, he can do what he wants though.

I wouldn't worry about moving anyway, decent package and the ISP are generally pretty good. It's a monthly rolling contract which I really like :) Hate 12 month+ contracts :D

Back
Top Bottom