Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Can't be signal - the ride imports from the Rider to the Brytonsport website just fine, it's when it moves over to Strava that it goes mental :(

I'll see if it does it when I'm next out.

The only thing I can possibly think of is that I set it to take me round a route and didn't complete that route, I cut it short. It 'navigated' me back fine though and the stats and whatnot made perfect sense on the Brytonsport site so I don't think it's connected.

Weird. If it keeps doing it though it will be a bit of a deal breaker because I do quite like Strava.

Soldato
30mins on the trainer tonight. A little run-out straight from work tomorrow. A little loosen up on the trainer on Saturday. Ready for the SOT Tour Ride on Sunday. :) Anyone else doing it?

Soldato
Utter rubbish advice, guys. Not everyone likes riding drop bars and a hybrid is basically a road bike with flat bars and a bit more space for bigger tyres. Off road or not.

I'd probably recommend one with conventional brakes over discs, either cantis or caliper brakes, purely from a simplicity and cheap servicing perspective.

You don't have to ride on the drops, you can ride on the hoods. There's about 4 different positions you can take up. And often on cross bikes you get brakes on the main horizontal bar too. :)

A hyrbid is basically an abomination, NOT a road bike with flat bars. They should all be melted down!!

Soldato
Anyone got any idea how I figure out the correct spoke type/length to replace a broken non-driveside spoke on my Easton EA50 Aero rear wheel?

I believe they're Sapim double butted spokes with a j-bend but no idea of the size, and struggling to find bladed versions anywhere online. Emailed Easton but no response as yet.

Soldato
A hyrbid is basically an abomination, NOT a road bike with flat bars. They should all be melted down!!

Hybrids exist mainly for two reasons:

- Many people find drop bars alien, especially the kind of person who is going to buy a bike for commuting and hasn't ridden one since they were a kid.

- There still exists the option that they could be taken off-road with a tyre change, unlike a mountain bike which would never be practical on the road when that is it's main usage day to day.

So I fully see why they exist and why people buy them.
I've got a friend who has been commuting in London for nearly four years now and he uses a mountain bike with front suspension. He bought it because he intended to also use it off-road... has he ever done in all those years? Nope!

He would have been far better with a hybrid.

Soldato
I've lost my cycling mojo. Just CBA this week for some reason. Hardly done any training and have been eating very poorly :(
I wouldn't worry about it, I imagine it happens to most people from time to time. The days getting shorter and colder probably doesn't help much. Give yourself a break this week and pick it up again next week. If that doesn't work, order yourself a Colnago C59 to rekindle the fire :)

Caporegime
You don't have to ride on the drops, you can ride on the hoods. There's about 4 different positions you can take up. And often on cross bikes you get brakes on the main horizontal bar too. :)

Riding on the hoods is not much less weird than riding on the drops. And if you ride on the bars then you don't have access to the brakes and gears. It does make a difference.

Soldato
Same here, either hoods or tops of bars slightly inboard of the hoods. In fact I ride using that hand position so often that I've been thinking about swapping my bars for a set of 'wing' shaped ergo types.

Soldato
Yep, I go to the middle of the bars for long climbs.

I do this if I'm just spinning away up a hill.

Do it when I'm really tired as well. It's nice just to sit in a different position sometimes.

The other thing I do is kind of put my hands almost on the sides of the hoods/front of the drops, I do that when I get tingly hands presumably from leaning too heavily on my hands.

On that note does anyone have a recommendation for reasonably priced shallow/compact drops to replace the ones on my Boardman?

The drops on the Boardman are super deep and the shape of them is a bit strange - I struggle to find a comfortable position and the most comfy place is right on the very bottom, which obviously is miles from the levers.

I see a lot of bikes have really nice compact drops and I wants to get me some.

Edit: FSA Vero - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=36060

Any cop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom