Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Cheers for the tip. Genuinely surprised to see how cheap they are! Was expected the price for properly branded gear to be loltastic, but if that price holds till the end of the month I'll definitely be ordering some.

If you need gloves too then:
http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q...tm_campaign=d21e8751bc-glamp&utm_medium=email

I'm tempted to purchase the Garmin Edge 800, anyone have one?

I borrowed a friends 500 for a while, it was pretty good but the mapping was pretty poor.

Any alternative worth looking at? Halfords are the Euro maps, cadence and HRM for £369.

I love mine, had it for nearly a month and tracked 494 miles with it. It's improved my efficiency quite dramatically. My only regret is that I waited so long before getting one.

A few people on here have Bryton's which are a cheaper alternative and from what I've read most seem pretty happy with them.

Soldato
That's good to hear, my wife and I are just getting into cycling and are thinking of doing some cycling holidays so I'm thinking investing in something like the 800 now will save money further down the line...

What's the equivalent Bryton?

Soldato
I'm tempted to purchase the Garmin Edge 800, anyone have one?

I borrowed a friends 500 for a while, it was pretty good but the mapping was pretty poor.

Any alternative worth looking at? Halfords are the Euro maps, cadence and HRM for £369.

If you don't need Euro Mapping the you can get UK Open Map Project maps that are just as good for free. That should save you a fortune. I bought mine without maps or HRM (had one already) and it was over £100 cheaper than you are looking at.

Soldato
[DOD]Asprilla;22811870 said:
If you don't need Euro Mapping the you can get UK Open Map Project maps that are just as good for free. That should save you a fortune. I bought mine without maps or HRM (had one already) and it was over £100 cheaper than you are looking at.

I've used free Euro OSM maps from here and successfully navigated from Calais to the Champs Elysees in Paris - no problems with them whatsoever, and they seemed more reliable than the Garmin ones some of my friends had.

Soldato
Some parts finally arrived, though I'm still waiting on the bulk of my parts to arrive from planet-x as an out of stock set of pedals is holding up the entire order, they're due in at the end of sept so didn't bother separating the orders.

Slight hickup, I got the wrong front derailleur.... got a 31.8 and I need a 34.9, poo.

So, bb in, cranks on and rear mech on.

p1030032ld.jpg

I have to wait for my planet-x order before I can do much else really!

Wow, that frame looks awesome! out of interest, how do rear mechs actually attach on? ive never fitted one but the one that broke on my bike looked like it had some sort of press on sitting, not a bolt?

Associate
the part the attaches to the frame you can see in pic thats circular, is a big bolt with an alan key sized hole in the middle that just spins freely and winds into the threads in the hanger

Associate
Ah cool, i see

I absolutely love that frame!

I love it too, got it off a friend... swapped my old car for it! :D Was kinda handy as I wanted his frame and he was in a bind and needed a car that'd last him until he found his ideal camper/bike van.

So I've ordered the correct size front derailleur off chainreaction as ribble are VERY slow at replying to customers so I've got a 6700 Ultegra 31.8 if anyone needs one? :)

Soldato
Would anybody like a couple of free Altura short sleeve jerseys? I have a team and a classic, both size L and both in black that I don't want. The team one has been worn a few times but hasn't suffered any wear, and I've only ever worn the classic one once. I am having a clear out and was initially going to put them with the rest of the clothes that are going to a charity shop, but I figured somebody here might like them instead. Let me know via trust if you are interested :)

Soldato
Id be interested in the Classic if you still have it mate.. paying postage etc :)

I cant do the trust messaging until i hit 1000posts i think

Soldato
Id be interested in the Classic if you still have it mate.. paying postage etc :)

I cant do the trust messaging until i hit 1000posts i think
I'm pretty sure you can activate your trust at any time - see if it'll let you register. I will send you the Classic one sometime next week, assuming you send me your address via trust...

I'd be interested in the Team too. Since I destroyed my best jersey when I fell off :(
Send me your address via trust and I'll send it to you at some point next week.

email sent! would love one of them!
Sorry VeNT, Kimi and Jono beat you to it - I've only got one of each to give away...

Soldato
Would anybody like a couple of free Altura short sleeve jerseys? I have a team and a classic, both size L and both in black that I don't want. The team one has been worn a few times but hasn't suffered any wear, and I've only ever worn the classic one once. I am having a clear out and was initially going to put them with the rest of the clothes that are going to a charity shop, but I figured somebody here might like them instead. Let me know via trust if you are interested :)

Gah. I had my eye on the other style Altura classic jersey and that was it :(

I've put my original stem back on my bike today to see if it has any effect on my clicking problem. Starting to get slightly paranoid that something's up with my steerer but I'm sure that's just me worrying. Hope it's not too long for me, next ride is planned to be 100km so I hope I haven't made a huge spine breaking mistake :D

Soldato
Specialized (and a number of other manufacturers sold at Evans) do Hybrids that look like road frames with relaxed gearing and flat bars to me. I'm sure there probably are some based on mountain bike frames.

Boardman hybrids look much closer to flat barred road bikes than skinny wheeled MTBs to me. Some of the other hybrids look like the opposite philosophy though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom