• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 660ti vs HD 7950

Associate
It is apparently quieter than the others even though it has three fans...:)

Plus, many people have confirmed an excellent overlocks/cooling/noise.

An extract from a review I read:

All in all. this is a VERY COOL running and VERY quiet card that boasts MONSTROUS performance (Beyond that of a GTX 580). combine that with mad overclocking headroom and you have an insane GPU that sips energy
Despite me owning this card only for a few hours. I purchased this card for the given reasons above. If you hate noise and want a HD 7950. This is it.
It's well rounded in all aspect. truly not only a high end card. but in all likely hood the best of ALL HD 7950 models. You will NOT be dissapointed.

:p

Last edited:
Associate
I'm a bit confused by the OP. In the first post you said you don't want to overclock:confused:
If that's the case then the 7950 probably isn't for you, as its value is in its over clocking ability.

If you are not going to over clock, I would get the msi 660ti power edition, or splash a bit more and get a 670.

Also if you are over clocking and considering a 7950, I would go for the MSI twin frozr 7950 on special offer this week. I would stay away from the HIS cards as you said you want it to stay quiet.

Associate
OP
I'm a bit confused by the OP. In the first post you said you don't want to overclock:confused:
If that's the case then the 7950 probably isn't for you, as its value is in its over clocking ability.

If you are not going to over clock, I would get the msi 660ti power edition, or splash a bit more and get a 670.

Also if you are over clocking and considering a 7950, I would go for the MSI twin frozr 7950 on special offer this week. I would stay away from the HIS cards as you said you want it to stay quiet.

Sorry for not making it clear.
Last night after god knows how many hours of research. I came to that conclusion.
I scrapped gigabyte from the list, due to warranty. Impossible to call them, as of 2003.

I then thought, which msi to go for. Amd or nvidia.
My conclusion came to what you stated about oc'ing. But also gaming: nvidia works better for the games I'll play, so why go for amd.
I'm going to give msi and evga a call right now.

Thanks a lot for the help :)

Associate
OP
Right this is most interesting!

EVGA will honour the warranty internationally.
MSI said they would only honour the warranty within the country of purchase.

(called both of them)
Might go with EVGA then

I'm set on the GTX 660 ti now.

Associate
OP
I bought mine on tottenham court road, but the today only place do it. It is about 20 quid more, but i run 3 screens so thought it would help.

I don't actually need the extra 1GB, as I'm running on 1 screen but when I'm spending £250-270 (OCUK price) - 1GB for an extra £20 doesn't hurt.

Mind PM'ing me where you got it?
I can't seem to find any UK resellers on that one.

Or else I'll settle for OCUK's 2GB

Associate
OP
I went for the MSI GTX 660ti with OCUK with the free borderlands 2 CD.

I only went via that, and not the USA route, as I was "only" saving £60 via going to the USA - so to save myself the hassle for at least the initial build (as things can go wrong) + the first year warranty being with OCUK.

Both EVGA and MSI offered 3yrs warranty.
It came down to looks, price, and clock speed.

The looks, for me - the EVGA won hands down, especially with the Asus Z77 Sabertooth.
However the slightly higher base clock speeds of the MSI, alongside its 3X and the free borderlands 2 game, made me choose MSI.

If EVGA offered a free game or a slightly cheaper price - I would have gone with it.
Really drove me nuts which to go for - so I just picked for silly reasons, rather than concrete benchmarks etc (as both perform near equally in my eyes)

I didn't go with the HD7950's for several reasons (even told by an MSI rep, as I called them and asked them what's better the HD7950 or GTX660ti offered by MSI)
The reply was very simple:
If you aren't using more than 1-2 screens, the mem bus and size, won't really matter.
And when it comes to gaming, you (me) mentioned you liked Battlefield 3 - and thus the Nvidia is better supported with Battlefield (and EA generally after some research).

Considering if I game I would be playing battlefield - I thought Nvidia is better.

That said - I don't want to OC the GPU (purely because of a fear of it blowing - naive maybe on my part, but safety first)

So if anyone wants to OC their GPU - I strongly suggest the HD7950 over the GTX660ti's
This is after many hours of research, videos, reviews, and personal input by people.

I'm saying it here, so that people can see what went through my mind in my decision, and more so, a simple, yet effective comparison (personal input on my part) of the HD7950 vs GTX 660ti - So i hope this thread also helps.

Back
Top Bottom