Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Boardman hybrids look much closer to flat barred road bikes than skinny wheeled MTBs to me. Some of the other hybrids look like the opposite philosophy though.

Depends on the brand and the individual model really. Felt hybrids look more like MTBs and have a chunky looking tyres whereas a Marin Fairfax has a narrower tyre, carbon fork and a light as **** frame.

Soldato
41km down, adjusting myself to the heat, up to 20c today and not a cloud in the sky not that hot a temperature but the sun has some burn to it, SPF30+ slapped on!

Just off my PR on the two CAT 4 climbs, but 2 minutes faster than my PB overall. I didn't feel like I had to kill myself to get up the climbs and this obviously paid off elsewhere.

Caporegime
We managed about 40 miles this morning. I say about - as usual, my phone died so Strava gave up about 25 miles in. We did some of the same climbs and descents as last week. I took people's advice regarding descending on the drops, and fared a lot better with stopping in time and cornering on same of the steep bits, so thanks for that! The guys took me up a hill I'd not done before, which turned out to be utterly brutal. I overstretched myself at the start and had to get off and walk from about halfway up. Oh well, next time.

Oh yeah, and it was freezing. I was glad of my arm warmers and a pair of borrowed gloves!

Soldato
Get a Garmin/Bryton and ditch the phone for tracking and keep for that time you need to make a call!

My Ribble is sat in the Parcel Force depot ready for delivery, i assume delivery will be on Monday when i will be in bed having got in at 0700....

Properly excited about it, judging by the weather today it may even be time to break out the new Gore jacket i got!

Caporegime
Finally managed to sort my wiggle order out, they only had my money for over a week whilst denying I ever paid, incompetence of the highest order, won't be ordering from them ever again, my 'refund' will be going straight to CRC once I get out of this desert!

Soldato
I've slipped back into smoking over the last week or so (I'd given up for a year but for a couple of months I've been in and out) and I've been putting off riding properly because I knew I was going to suffer.

Part way around today I got a bit between my teeth and in the end I set personal records on seven segments (I think one or two were new to me or rarely ridden but the rest are all pretty regular segments for me) and the ride was close to my fastest average on that sort of loop but I feel like I'm going to die. I feel absolutely dreadful and I'm coughing my face off.

I think partly I did it to punish myself and remind myself what it makes me feel like exercising while I'm smoking.

The Bryton definitely helped though - having all the different information is genuinely useful, my Cateye just had speed, a pace arrow and one other that you could display through but I have a few bits on the main screen of my Rider. Can't wait to the a speed/cadence sensor.

Soldato
I've slipped back into smoking over the last week or so (I'd given up for a year but for a couple of months I've been in and out) and I've been putting off riding properly because I knew I was going to suffer.

Part way around today I got a bit between my teeth and in the end I set personal records on seven segments (I think one or two were new to me or rarely ridden but the rest are all pretty regular segments for me) and the ride was close to my fastest average on that sort of loop but I feel like I'm going to die. I feel absolutely dreadful and I'm coughing my face off.

I think partly I did it to punish myself and remind myself what it makes me feel like exercising while I'm smoking.

The Bryton definitely helped though - having all the different information is genuinely useful, my Cateye just had speed, a pace arrow and one other that you could display through but I have a few bits on the main screen of my Rider. Can't wait to the a speed/cadence sensor.

Get the garmin speed/cadence sensor - the Bryton one apparently can't do speed and cadence at the same time, you can get the garmin one cheaper too - mine was 29 quid from the tree place!

Soldato
Get the garmin speed/cadence sensor - the Bryton one apparently can't do speed and cadence at the same time, you can get the garmin one cheaper too - mine was 29 quid from the tree place!

Yeah that was the plan, I'd read it's compatible. No idea why they would make one that you have to switch!

Get mad jealous of people with Treks, the speed trap and duo trap systems are genius imo.

Soldato

screenshot20120922at214.png

That is a fail. Good deal though.

Soldato
are the bryton GPS as good as the garmin at that price point - £120 or so?

The garmin 200 doesn't do cadence or hrm so the Bryton has many advantages, the garmin 500 is the comparable model but more like 200 with cadence and hrm.

Personally I want a garmin 800 so happy to use the Bryton until I'm allowed the big boys toy!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom