*** iPhone 5 - Revealed! ***

Soldato
Brushed mine against my window ledge this morning, and to my horror there was a white mark on the anodised metal band. After drawing my breath and giving it a wipe it turned out to be white paint and cleaned off! Very nervous about causing cosmetic damage to the anodised band now though.

Soldato
I am also concerned about my battery life.

yesterday when i went to bed it was at 14%

according to usage it had been used for 4.5 hours with only 30 mins of calls the rest was on standby.

My ip4 even after 2 years rarely dropped below 50% with my daily use.

Soldato
my 4s is currently in my draw

usage is 3 hours 30 mins
standby 3 days 13 hours
47% left

(it has been in flight mode for 2 days though)

Associate
Another day, although early, and another sign that the battery in the iPhone 5 is either much poorer than in the iPhone 4 or I have a duff example.

This morning I left the house with 100% charge as normal. One use of Facebook and one check-in on Foursquare and to date 21 minutes of streaming Radio 5 on TuneIn radio - 88% already! I'm in a three bar 3G area. The 5 is losing battery almost twice as fast as the 4 used to! Very poor.

You need to restore from new...

I left the house this morning on 100% and still on 93% that's with 3G on, FB and a few emails here and there.

Soldato
my 4s is currently in my draw

usage is 3 hours 30 mins
standby 3 days 13 hours
47% left

(it has been in flight mode for 2 days though)

My GFs 4S has been on flight mode not being used at all since I swapped her sim over, 2 days later its well over 90% lol.

And OMG, the vibrate motor on this thing could never be described as a silent alert.. I've got music on the PC and I still hear ever text she gets.

BZZZZZZ!

Soldato
My GFs 4S has been on flight mode not being used at all since I swapped her sim over, 2 days later its well over 90% lol.

And OMG, the vibrate motor on this thing could never be described as a silent alert.. I've got music on the PC and I still hear ever text she gets.

BZZZZZZ!

yeh, not sure why they changed the motor it in. Apparently because not many people could hear it. Its ******* vibrate, not a sound!

New motor is gash IMO but anyway

Caporegime
So how many people returned their iP5 because of in-box scratches? Im loathed to get it replaced, but expecting the Apple Store not to be happy to do a refund...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I restored from an iCloud backup, maybe that has so something to do with my battery life? Macrumors mention doing a DFU restore??

1. Connect the phone to the PC
  2. Open iTunes
  3. Hold the power + home button on the phone until you see a message saying "iTunes has detected a phone in recovery mode"
  4. Release buttons
  5. Click restore
  6. Done

Soldato
Why should icloud restore effect battery life?

Its rubbish, i have restored from icloud on my 4s and that was fine.

I just think the battery gets better the more its used! My ip5 is on 88% and has been used for a bit of gaming, a few texts and browsing since 7am. 1 hour 2 mins usage, 5 hours 30 standby

That good or bad? (my ip5 was restored from cloud too)

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Any time you restore from a backup, you run the risk of a bad configuration screwing something up.

I always set up from new using a DFU restore, so you know it's not the software.

Soldato
  1. Connect the phone to the PC
  2. Open iTunes
  3. Hold the power + home button on the phone until you see a message saying "iTunes has detected a phone in recovery mode"
  4. Release buttons
  5. Click restore
  6. Done

ha ha, thats never what happens for me, I really like using itunes as a media player, I'm certainly no hater but for restoring/upgrading I have a really bad time.

My routine is normally

• Plug iPhone/iPod touch/iPad into itunes
  • sees available update
  • select to update, software downloads and restore starts
  • gets to the end of the update and says it can't restore, generally error 1604 or 1602 and leaves the phone in restore mode
  • close itunes (as per apples suggestion)
  • open itunes, sees device in restore mode, asks if I want to restore it
  • YES! then it says preparing for restore at which point the phone flashes the screen off then back on
  • nothign happens for 10 minutes
  • get the cannot restore error again
  • close itunes, reopen itunes, repeat above steps
  • restore complete!

which I appreciate isn't exactly the easiest thing in the world to do but it's a routine which works.

This has been the same with a couple of installs of windows, various cables, various usb ports and a lot of devices (I have all the idevices for work) I can live with it but it's not exactly easy.

Doing my GFs 5 at the weekend was weird, that sort of half restored it, I picked restore from a backup which installed all the apps and music but stuck it on the register page on the phone itself so I went through the setup on the phone and when I got into the phone mode it had all the apps, all the music but none of the data like messages/photos/wallpaper etc.

So I stuck it in restore mode, went through the rigmarole above and eventually it was fine except the first app page is now totally empty which I always thought was impossible but she quite likes so it can stay as it is.

Soldato
Went to CW to get them to swap networks, said they could do t but they'd need to order a new handset as iphone 5 is locked to the first network thats set, new handset wouldn't be in till 9th oct tho :( anyone know what the stock is like in apple meadowhall Sheffield for contract? Or should I just stick with O2 :( worried about not having the 4g with O2 :( only got till Friday tho to decide as the cool off period would be over by then but everywhere seems to be out of stock now.

Last edited:
Soldato
One of the big features that I just remembered about this device is the in-cell display where it feels you are actually touching the screen. Has anyone noticed this in practice? I feel the screen does appear a little closer to the surface but not by much and it's certainly not something to shout about.

Man of Honour
One of the big features that I just remembered about this device is the in-cell display where it feels you are actually touching the screen. Has anyone noticed this in practice? I feel the screen does appear a little closer to the surface but not by much and it's certainly not something to shout about.

It definitely helps with some games the added accuracy, but yeah not something you really notice just using the phone in general

Back
Top Bottom