*** iPhone 5 - Revealed! ***

Soldato
Went to CW to get them to swap networks, said they could do t but they'd need to order a new handset as iphone 5 is locked to the first network thats set, new handset wouldn't be in till 9th oct tho :( anyone know what the stock is like in apple meadowhall Sheffield for contract? Or should I just stick with O2 :( worried about not having the 4g with O2 :( only got till Friday tho to decide as the cool off period would be over by then but everywhere seems to be out of stock now.

I really wouldn't bother, 4G will have very poor coverage for at least a year, at the very least. EE are only saying something like 30% of the population in a year plus the LTE bands the iPhone 5 runs on for EE aren't the ones that all the other networks are going to run on.

All you're missing out on is the opportunity to spend extra on a service you probably don't need and probably won't be able to get.

Soldato
Found your problem ;)

lol, thats entirely possible although I do recall jumping onto the macbook in desparation once and still having the problems. Anyway, its not the end of the world, freaked me out a few times but I'm used to it now.

A far more insidious and irritating issue was my apps constantly refusing to update, that turned out to be the fact I had such an old itunes account that my password didn't meet the security criteria but they never bothered telling me.

Now THAT was frustrating, especially because it manifested itself as a refusal to update on wifi but being perfectly happy on 3G.

Soldato
Went to CW to get them to swap networks, said they could do t but they'd need to order a new handset as iphone 5 is locked to the first network thats set, new handset wouldn't be in till 9th oct tho :( anyone know what the stock is like in apple meadowhall Sheffield for contract? Or should I just stick with O2 :( worried about not having the 4g with O2 :( only got till Friday tho to decide as the cool off period would be over by then but everywhere seems to be out of stock now.

I think I'm going to just sign up again with o2. I haven't seen my city mentioned in any of the 4G stuff so it will probably be a year later and even then, it will probably cost £10+/month for the first year or so whoever you have it with.

Last edited:
Soldato
Any time you restore from a backup, you run the risk of a bad configuration screwing something up.

I always set up from new using a DFU restore, so you know it's not the software.

How do you get back all your contacts, notes, calendar items etc?

Soldato
I think I'm going to just sign up again with o2. I haven't seen my city mentioned in any of the 4G stuff so it will probably be a year later and even then, it will probably cost £10+/month for the first year or so whoever you have it with.

Tesco mobile do 500mins, 5000 text and 1gb data for £12.50 a month. ive been with them for ~18 months now and the customer service is fantastic

They use o2 so very good coverage and also very good coverage abroad

Caporegime
Because the white model is unpainted, are the scratching issues limited to the black model?
Id like to know the same, I want the iP5 but if its an issue across all models Id rather get a refund and wait til they fix it - its not like a pristine phone right now will stay pristine considering how just easy it is to mark (probably mark on its first drop :p)

ps3ud0 :cool:

Soldato
Because the white model is unpainted, are the scratching issues limited to the black model?

I may be wrong but I think both black and white models are unpainted.

They are however anodized, and it's a shame they didn't use the HA III type anodizing that Surefire torches uses, it's more expensive to do but it's far tougher and more scratch resistant.

Caporegime
So its just that the black shows up the silver aluminium underneath more readily? Anyone seen damage to the white yet to see how the shade differs there? Might try and get the white as a replacement instead

ps3ud0 :cool:

Soldato
One of the big features that I just remembered about this device is the in-cell display where it feels you are actually touching the screen. Has anyone noticed this in practice? I feel the screen does appear a little closer to the surface but not by much and it's certainly not something to shout about.

I'm not really sure it was marketed to look/feel any different to a standard touchscreen, the main benefit is the reduction in thickness.

Si.

Si.

Soldato
Well, 5 days into ownership, been out of the house once and it's got a ding on the side.. (2 actually) not impressed at all with the resilience of the thing. It's been in an iphone sock since I got it and very well looked after. My 4s was 11 months old and not really cared for and it's not got a mark on it.

I'm still within my 7 days, would I be able to return it to a store for a refund/replacement?

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Isn't this just the same as the iCloud restore I done when I received the phone? This is why I was slightly confused by the advice on Macrumors.

A DFU restore replaces the entire firmware & iOS software on the device. You can choose to download your iCloud data by inputting your password.

Doing an iCloud restore simply downloads the settings etc. It's almost the same.. minus the overwriting of the firmware and software etc. If you're troubleshooting, I'd still recommend the DFU restore incase the firmware itself is corrupt.

Back
Top Bottom