Recommendations for some decent stereo speakers specifically for trance/hard electronic music

Associate
Hey all,

I currently own a set of Logitech z5500's which I still love and have been going strong for over 6 years. However, I no longer play PC games much anymore and only ever listen to music. I've always felt that music on 5.1 never sounds as good for some reason, so the z5500's are now where they belong - connected to the TV in the living room.

I'm now looking for a tidy stereo replacement.

When I first bought my headphones (Sennheiser hd25-1 II), many people said if you often listen to heavier/bassier music, specifically trance music then these are a great choice. I'm now also looking for similar recommendations for stereo speakers.

• Budget up to £250
  • They will need to have optical input as they will be plugged in to my MacBook
  • Other inputs such as Coax would be nice but not essential.
  • They don't necessarily have to be loud, but quality is important.
  • Subwoofer optional, so long as the speakers themselves pack some punch
  • Primarily trance & electronic music
  • Amp?

I'm an audio noob when it comes to the technical stuff, I know I like good quality and I know there are many different ways to get. I'd just appreciate a starting point so I know I'm looking in the right direction.

Thanks in advance,
Scott.

Kei

Kei

Soldato
Optical on a stereo amp is very rare. Only way to get around that problem is to have a standalone DAC. Might be able to find a basic prebuilt dac based on an AKM/wolfson chip for little money. (usually find them on ebay as kits)

Soldato
Associate
Not sure the sub is going to be responsive enough for music.

In fact, when I was researching my HT system for the front room, there were lots of people unhappy with that Wharfedale sub when watching movies. Many opted to swap it out for something else (BK Gemini II is popular). However, this is from a HT perspective, not music.

I would personally forget the sub and put the money towards better stereo speakers, and look at floor standers if you have the space (including the recommended clearance to the walls). Just because you listen to trance, it doesn't mean you *have* to get a sub. Good stereo speakers with decent bass drivers will give you the responsive punchy bass you are after.

Leftfield's Leftism sounds pretty awesome through my Diamond 10.3s and that's through an Onkyo 6 Series AV amp. I'm sure a dedicated stereo amp would sound even better.

I do not know how to overcome your optical connection issue.

Hope that helps.

Associate
OP
Not sure the sub is going to be responsive enough for music.

In fact, when I was researching my HT system for the front room, there were lots of people unhappy with that Wharfedale sub when watching movies. Many opted to swap it out for something else (BK Gemini II is popular). However, this is from a HT perspective, not music.

I would personally forget the sub and put the money towards better stereo speakers, and look at floor standers if you have the space (including the recommended clearance to the walls). Just because you listen to trance, it doesn't mean you *have* to get a sub. Good stereo speakers with decent bass drivers will give you the responsive punchy bass you are after.

Leftfield's Leftism sounds pretty awesome through my Diamond 10.3s and that's through an Onkyo 6 Series AV amp. I'm sure a dedicated stereo amp would sound even better.

I do not know how to overcome your optical connection issue.

Hope that helps.

Thanks a lot for the response, that is actually very helpful indeed. Just the kind of advice I'm looking for.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom