*** The official scuffgate thread ***

• Thread starter Deleted member 651465
  • Start date

Si.

Si.

Soldato
I noticed a few marks on mine today, took it into the apple store and they exchanged it no problems at all, very impressed.. New phone is spotless but they do seem VERY easy to scratch so will need a case (never liked cases but don't think there is a choice with the iphone 5).

Soldato
Maybe it's my warped logic but I don't see the point of returning a lightly scuffed black iPhone for another black one. It makes more sense to exchange it for a white model.

There are too many reports of the problem for it to be limited to a specific batch. It seems to be an inherent flaw with the design and/or process. These phones ARE going to accumulate scuffs over their lifetime - and whether it comes with one out of the box or you scratch it on day 1, day 10 or day 100 it won't be a big deal in the long run and is not going to significantly affect resale value.

Yes you will be disappointed your example isn't perfect, and maybe Apple will tweak something in the future to make it more hard wearing. But if you exchange it now you're only going to get the same thing again and delay the inevitable for a matter of days. And putting it straight into a case is not a sure-fire solution - as previous iPhone owners know - a case can even exacerbate the problem. Some people are proposing that the phones could even be being damaged in transit so a few months worth of pocket lint and friction is going to tear it apart case or no case.

So, for me, exchanging like-for-like (unless it's really bad) is a fools errand unfortunately.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

OP
My replacement arrived today, looks good.

Thought I noticed a scratch near the left hand side of the screen, but it wiped away :eek::) I also noticed on my first handset (whilst browsing last night) that I had a weird bit of fluff under the screen, dead centre. To be honest, I'm glad I replaced it. That would have done my head in.

My logic is.. even if I mark it myself, at least I know it's my own fault and that when I received it, it was perfect.

Soldato
Not a mark or dent on mine...

Serial number: C38JDLXRDTWD (cleaned up from 'c38jdlxrdtwd')
Name: iPhone 5
ModelCode: iphone_5
Group1: iPhone
Group2:
Generation: 7
Model introduced: 2012
Production year: 2012
Production week: 37 (September)
Family name: Become a pro user to see this information. (sorry)
Screen size: 4 inch
Screen resolution: 1136x640 pixels
Colour: Black
Capacity: 16GB
Factory: C3 (China)

Caporegime
Just returned mine for refund - not as obvious damage as EVH (mines a 2 silver scratches only a few mms in size just on the front right side of the phone above where the nano SIM goes)

Serial number: C37J92PADTWG
Model Number: MD299
Group2:
Machine Model: iPhone5,1
Production week: 35 (September)
Capacity: 32GB

ps3ud0 :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
Having had mine for a few days, I feel pretty confident that as long as I'm careful with it there shouldn't be too much of an issue with wear. It's the same with the aluminium Mac stuff - you knock it into things and you'll end up with some nice bluey/green scratches once you take the anodised layer off. Those are uuuuugly.

I've been using mine starkers since Friday and there's no marks at all and it's been going in my pocket. I'm still getting a pouch with a very soft interior to err on the side of caution though lol.

Soldato
Mine arrived flawless:

Serial number: C36J9NADDTWG (cleaned up from 'c36j9naddtwg')
Model Number: MD299
Group2:
Capacity: 32GB

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

OP
Just noticed a dead pixel in the centre of the display (opened a new tab on fullscreen landscape safari), and I'm gutted.

Called Apple and they are yet to receive and log my original marked iphone, so I have to wait for it to "be on the system" before they can book another out to me.

Technically, it is showing that I have 2x 64GB iPhone 5, so the only alternative is to send my current handset off before they send my 3rd(!), which I can't do due to work.

Tempted to reserve one instore and ask for a refund of my online order, but will see what happens tomorrow when I call :(

Soldato
Mine has a small chip on the bottom edge, I can't be bothered to get a replacement, no doubt I'll do worse at some point.

Group2:
Production week: 34 (August)
CPU speed: 1.3GHz

Soldato
Lol so why the hell did they make it out of aluminium then... idiots :)

See most of their product lines in recent years. Also Google 'Macbook scratched' and so on; pretty much anything of theirs that's intended to be used on the move and also has an anodised aluminium unibody is suseptable to scratching if you're not careful. The 4/4S band scuffed/marked just as easily IMO, it's just because it wasn't anodised it wasn't as visible.

Soldato
Its a shame, because the backs on the Ip5 cost 8x more than the ip4 / 4s do, meaning the Iphone 4/4s phones are Much cheaper to repair.

Once again apple made poor design choices

HAz

HAz

Soldato
had mine since tuesday, not used it much but have it in my pocket without any keys or wallet in and its starting to wear on that band already, not really happy about that as whats it going to look like in a few months time?

I dunno if i should send it back for a white one, so stupid.

Serial number: C35J92CZDTWD (cleaned up from 'c35j92czdtwd')
Group2:

Soldato
had mine since tuesday, not used it much but have it in my pocket without any keys or wallet in and its starting to wear on that band already, not really happy about that as whats it going to look like in a few months time?

I dunno if i should send it back for a white one, so stupid.

Serial number: C35J92CZDTWD (cleaned up from 'c35j92czdtwd')
Group2:

Can you describe or take pictures of this? I'm just interested to see, as I'm surprised that the finish is so poor if that's the case! :(

Associate
All fine with mine

Serial number: C93JDT4RDTWD (cleaned up from 'c93jdt4rdtwd')
Group2:
Production week: 37 (September)
Factory: C9 (China)
External link: Technical specifications by apple-history.com

Associate
People who have taken there phone back do you have to take it to the place you got it if exchanging due to scuffs?

I got mine from three so would I have to go to a three store or can I go to an apple one.

Also when exchanging do you need the box and bits or will they just swap phone for phone?

Thanks

Caporegime
"Any aluminum product may scratch or chip with use, exposing its natural silver color. That is normal."
sounds legit i look my my many year old lian li case and see all the chips and scratchs on it....

oh wait i dont it still looks as new as the day it was bought

its like say a drinks can may chip through use......

Back
Top Bottom