iPhone 5 - Just not doing it for me this time around

Xee

Xee

Associate
I'm not bothered by Apple Maps, already used it on my iPad 3. Apple will continue to improve it, especially now with all the fuss. I think the build quality is good, but would probably get the white just to avoid the black paint coming off.

But what I really have trouble with still is the screen size! It's still too small!! Which makes me keep looking at the S3 and HTC. But I don't like the Android OS it's buggy and awkward. I have already decided the S3 is better then the HTC One. But keep wrestling between iPhone 5 and S3 (is there anything better then the S3 on the Android front coming soon?)

Maybe I should just wait awhile? Or just get a cheap sim only contract and wait for iPhone 5s/6? I have had 3 iPhones in a row and just feel disappointed by Apple this time.

Last edited:
Soldato
You say the screen is still too small, but what do you do that needs a big screen?

One of the things I do a lot of is watch video (keeps me sane during my commute). Moving the screen to a 16:9 aspect ratio has meant that the perceived size of the video has increased massively for me (I always used to watch letterboxed rather than missing out on the content).

I've had a play with an S3 and HTC One X and honestly didn't see any massive use cases for such a large screen (in fact, many of the apps just looked pants as most Android apps I tested simply stretch to fill up the available space, leaving lots of the extra real-estate wasted - facebook and twitter being prime examples).

Soldato
I got an iPad yesterday, I must admit, the screen on my 4S looks absolutely tiny now. :) I don't know how I managed. It's made me remember that my iPhone is a phone! The extra bit on a 5 wouldn't make any difference.

I think I'll be getting an iPad mini when they come out for out and about.

Xee

Xee

Associate
OP
I got an iPad yesterday, I must admit, the screen on my 4S looks absolutely tiny now. :) I don't know how I managed. It's made me remember that my iPhone is a phone! The extra bit on a 5 wouldn't make any difference.

I think I'll be getting an iPad mini when they come out for out and about.

This might be the reason. I also got a iPad 3 recently and it makes my iPhone 4 appear absolutely tiny. Now I like to browse the web and watch video a lot on my iPhone. More then on a PC, but the iPad 3 is now my number one. Therefore an iPhone with a bit more width and height would have been perfect. The stupid reasoning that you can use it with just one hand is a load of bull tbh. Most people use 2 hands.

Last edited:
Soldato
iPHONE

its a phone at the end of day and been designed to make phone calls,the rest is a bonus.

It's not though is it?

Sure smartphones are still called phones and they still have the ability to make calls but in truth they're more like portable computers and most of us use them as such. Just think of all the things you do on your phone right now compared to say 10 years ago. I bet most peoples primary use is social networking not voice calls.

For all these new modern phone activities screen real estate becomes more important than being able to reach all 4 corners of your screen with a single thumb! Lets be honest we all use our phone with two hands and i expect most of us aren't too put out by this!

I say enjoy the bigger picture with more screen real estate on the SG3 ;)

Also ICS on the SG3 is a joy to use (don't find it buggy at all) and its just as good as iOS on my iPad but in different ways. Android OS's have come a long way and Jelly Bean is expected for the SG3 any time now :)

Soldato
The iPhone will stay at 4" for a while.

The iPhone is a mainstream product. 4.8" is too big for the mainstream. Lots of people don't want a phone that big. It's unwieldy and difficult to operate with one hand.

If you want bigger than 4" then you need to go Android or Windows Phone. Apple hasn't just pulled 4" out of the air. It's a reasoned decision based upon what the wider public wants, not what people on a computer forum want.

Soldato
What's with the sudden fixation of making phones bigger. Seems like a technological step backwards in a world of smaller, thinner, lighter components.

Soldato
Have you even tried a modern release of Android (ICS or JB)? They're not buggier than iOS and certainly not awkward. I made the transition in June and haven't looked back since.

To be fair, I had more crashes on my S3 in the month that I had it than I ever did in 2 years of iPhone ownership. I didn't even get as far as going down the rooting path, this was with a completely stock phone.

And (comparatively) Android is still fiddly even with ICS, you spend more time configuring it to your liking than actually using it I found, option upon option to find and set.

Associate
To be fair, I had more crashes on my S3 in the month that I had it than I ever did in 2 years of iPhone ownership. I didn't even get as far as going down the rooting path, this was with a completely stock phone.

And (comparatively) Android is still fiddly even with ICS, you spend more time configuring it to your liking than actually using it I found, option upon option to find and set.

Same experience as I've had, will probably go back to iPhone when my S2 contract runs out.

Associate

I've got 2 S3s' in the house, both stock. Never had a crash on either for the month we've had them. As for Android being fiddly, I've never found this. Yes there are more options to configure, but you don't have to mess around. Android does work out of the box very well.

But as a lot of things, it's all down to personal preference.

Soldato
But as a lot of things, it's all down to personal preference.

Indeed, no denying Android has its place, but it's certainly not to my tastes for a mobile OS. If I want to tinker I'll do it on a PC, I just want a phone to work. I probably had to reboot the device 3-4 times when it either stopped responding, or something stopped working.

My S3 didn't do what I wanted out of the box, in fact that's the main reason I went back to iOS after only a month. I just couldn't get it to handle things the way I would like, especially Exchange email which is important to me.

On top of that I found the Play Store dreadful in layout and content, and my S3 battery life was poor too. Charging nearly dead on every 24 hours with not much use, yet my new iPhone can go 2.5 days with what I would call "normal" daily usage.

Back
Top Bottom