Dynavin D99

Soldato
Anyone got one of these units? thinking of replacing the crappy CD based nav system in my Golf with one. Have heard bad things about chinese copies but these seem to be pretty decent.

The other option is the OEM golf MFD3 unit which although nice, would be almost double the price to retrofit but with less features.

http://www.dynavin.com/products/product_dnv_vw.php

Man of Honour
I have one, did a review of it in a threaded entitled 'BMW navigation install'.

You can get the latest vw system for about a grand tho which is better integrated.

Soldato
OP
Due to the age of my Golf I would require the canbus upgrade and if I were to add the iPod and bluetooth nonsense it would push it over a grand.

Standard will of course have the advantage of showing nav instructions in the MFD between the dials though

Soldato
You can do the upgrade to the RNS510 without upgrading your canbus controller, you just need to run a modified firmware on the unit. Some sellers may put this on for you.

I ran mine for 2 or 3 years that way until I needed to upgrade the firmware when I retro fitted the MK6 reversing camera so the input switched to the reversing camera when reverse was selected. I got a new canbus controller for £65, I coded it myself but the seller offered to code them for you if you don't have VCDS.

I find with the built in hard drive and sd card slot that can read 32gb sd cards I never really use the MDI for iPod or USB control I mainly use it for charging my phone.

The Bluetooth add on is expensive but you could do the upgrade for around £800 if you do without the MDI interface. I would always take the RNS510 unit over an aftermarket system as it is a very good unit that still regularly gets firmware upgrades, with the right control modules you can also add visual parking sensors, reversing camera and climate control display.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom