iPhone 5 worth it from 4S

Man of Honour
OP
But there's an apple store open in Watford now and schools back in so it'll be empty(ish) during the day time... :p

Are you on about the one near Garston? Are they actually a proper Apple store or just a reseller? As in can I take a phone there to be replaced under warranty?

Soldato
I took my 4S in yesterday and they gave me a brand new replacement under warranty.

Took the opportunity to play with the 5.

Is it worth the upgrade? Definitely not in my opinion. I'd imagine I'd get a fair bit for a brand new 4S on eBay too which would make the upgrade more affordable. I agree with the comments above though, 4>5 makes more sense.

Soldato
I'd rather fall down the stairs than be surrounded by such a bunch of freaks, thanks. There's one thing in this world that I despise, and that's going to an Apple store. :mad:

What a bizzarre and misguided response. But the oh so obvious thing to do is go to any other mobile store that sells them then. Getting hands on rather than basing your response a rather silly and subjective question on here is well just dumb.

Associate
I never see the point in threads like these... you will just get opinions - there is no answer for you.

Only you can decide if it is "worth it"

Soldato
Are you on about the one near Garston? Are they actually a proper Apple store or just a reseller? As in can I take a phone there to be replaced under warranty?

There's a proper one opened in the Harlequin centre opened a few weeks ago! (got an email about it, haven't been to it yet)

Full on real apple store like the one in Mk or the several in London! Actually excited as it should be a lot more useful than the official reseller here in St Albans...

Soldato
I'd rather fall down the stairs than be surrounded by such a bunch of freaks, thanks. There's one thing in this world that I despise, and that's going to an Apple store. :mad:

Yes the hardcore fans who queue up for days are freaks, but when you go in the Apple store at any other time, its generally full of people from just about all walks of life.

If you really don't want to go in one, then you can still see the iPhone 5 in every single mobile phone shop, along with the likes of John Lewis and other such department stores. If there is one thing this country isn't short of, that's mobile phone shops on the high-street.

Man of Honour
OP
The last time I was in an Apple store I ended up having to wait for 45 minutes over my appointment time next to some new age hippy freak and his mate who would just bop about singing to themselves. Then next to them was some other chap being told absolute lies by the salesmen and generally loads of other pretentious idiots who I couldn't wait to get away from. It wasn't my first experience like that either, had it in Southampton and previously in Brent Cross. Every single time I've been in I've found the customer service appalling except maybe one time when I kicked up a fuss about the lies I'd been told about my Mac and the 'head technician' came to help me out who was a nice chap. Most of the employees seem too busy trying to look 'cool' with their iPhones around their neck and iPad in their hands while ignoring people who've been stood around for ages waiting for help. Does my head in, honestly. lol /rant.

Soldato
Awwww :( The belfast one was ok, though the staff were all new and didn't know the ins and outs of what they were doing when it first opened.

The MK one has given me a few nice experiences to (more relevant place and Watford to there isn't all that far really, plus driving/parking there is easy enough), staff have been a lot more knowledgeable and were really friendly about my nano (before he realised he put the serial number in wrong to get my full apple care up).

Hopefully the new Watford one will be all right

Last edited:
Soldato
The difference between the 4 and 4S is Siri and a slightly faster processor yes? That being the case, I don't understand why upgrading from 4 to 5 is much different than a 4S to 5.

The 4 was a single-core Cortex-8 class chip. The 4S was a dual core Cortex-9 class chip. So for a start there's a 2nd core so that you can be running two independent threads at once, which will help improve responsiveness, but then it's a more modern micro-architecture, so even though it's clocked around the same, it's probably 20-30% quicker at processing instructions.

The 4S to the 5 is moving to what many people consider a Cortex-15 class chip, which at a similar clock speed roughly doubles performance.

Add to that the new screen - yes, it's not much bigger, but when watching video the 16:9 aspect ratio means that you don't have to a) chop off the sides or b) have letterboxing when watching content which has been the biggest thing for me.

Soldato
I think the 4S to the 5 is the biggest jump the iPhone has made. Whether that's worth it or not is up to you.

Fundamentally disagree. The 5 really isn't that impressive. This is coming from an Apple geek who has always bought the new iPhone the day it's released.

The 3GS > 4 was one hell of a jump. Everything about it was superior.

Soldato
i jumped from 4 - 5.

just going through process of selling my 4 and every time i pick it up it feels like a brick compared to the 5.

plus the speed difference (for me anyway) is great.

Back
Top Bottom