I have about 4.5k to spend on a car (19 yr old)

Caporegime
seriously?!

I must have had my priorities all wrong at that age then - its not just a case of being able to afford it, is there anyone on here that had a first car that lasted well?
it's a learning curve owning a car, especially when you are young - in my group of friends we all had sheds as first cars and we really ****ed about with them, cars got scratched, spewed on/in, maintenance wasn't always done on schedule etc - all i'm saying is that driving and ownership experience should be the priority rather than spending all that money in one go, even half that budget would be fine for a first car (that's still more than my mortgage for a year!)

As I said IF I could afford it. I had a job at that age, part time, to fund my car. It was pretty much all I cared about. But your right my first car ended up trashed and my next destroyed pretty much. Having spent that much I would've treated them better, a lot better. And yes mines was spewed on/in :p

Soldato
*sigh*

i am beginning to think this is the right thing to do :/

Welp, I guess I am gonna have to do some research on good but less powerful cars then

thanks for talking some sense to me

Try some of the overlooked and less desirable quick-ish stuff. They are usually cheaper to buy and insure.

206 Gti
323 Sport
MK 5 fiesta 1.6 Zetec

Associate
Well its nice to see bhp is cooler then mpgs again.

I think if you spend 4000 pounds, or even 2000 with your family donation you are a nutter.

What about next year if they dont help you, thats £3500 your going to need to find yourself, just for insurance!.

Basically all im saying is, think of the future.

Soldato
I was looking at MR2 Turbos before I saw sense lol. Well I spend too much on an old almera but even a set of rear tyres for the turbo would be a world of hurt if it came around the same time as sticky calipers or a big bill.

Not sure how bad an N/A MR2 would be? They look sporty with the rev 3 facelift and being NA shouldn't try to kill you on a corner. Still 7.7 to 60 which is still more than fast enough I think.

Soldato
Wouldn't recommend a Mid engine RWD mid 90's car TBH

Have owned a Mk1 MR2 I'd have to agree that I too wouldn't suggest something along those (MK1 or MK2) lines as the ideal "first car"

OP - I still maintain my original suggestion of a Fiesta or Focus ZS would be ideal for your needs:

Untitled-36.jpg

After haggling I'm sure you could save a substantial amount from your original budget which should cover the group 7 insurance. It should also provide you with fairly trouble free or at least cheap (besides maintenance) motoring while also allowing you to acquire the much needed NCB to buy something more powerful a year or so down the line?

Soldato
Sorry about the previous jibe. I've looked for a couple of lesser known cars that might appeal.

Corolla insurance quick quote on a 19 yo male is 1150-1550.

Audi S3 insurance 1200-1600

CTR insurance 1200-1600. (Not really 'lesser known' though!)

Although I'm beginning to think the autotrader insurance quick quotes are utter rubbish.

Why would anyone not want that corolla as first car. 4k on insurance lolololol

Associate
OP
Have owned a Mk1 MR2 I'd have to agree that I too wouldn't suggest something along those (MK1 or MK2) lines as the ideal "first car"

OP - I still maintain my original suggestion of a Fiesta or Focus ZS would be ideal for your needs:

Untitled-36.jpg

After haggling I'm sure you could save a substantial amount from your original budget which should cover the group 7 insurance. It should also provide you with fairly trouble free or at least cheap (besides maintenance) motoring while also allowing you to acquire the much needed NCB to buy something more powerful a year or so down the line?

that actually looks pretty good, thanks for taking your time to look (and anyone else looking for me)

i ran the insurance on it: its £2100

only gripe is the mileage is higher than i'd like

also specs says it has recaro seats, i don't see them :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Wouldn't recommend a Mid engine RWD mid 90's car TBH

He's been driving for a year so far in his parents car. Don't know what it is but i'm sure he'll have behaved like a nob in it already and learned how not to go into corners, how bad brakes work from high speed and a basic car control.

Edit: It a fiesta is £2100 then forget the MR2 :D

Associate
69k mileage high? Cars don't magically blow up at 100,000 you know.

You'd be surprised how many people I know sell there cars as soon as they get to 80k and won't touch cars with 100k on the clock, its just stupid cars will run past 200k easily these days its just a question of how well its been maintained, at least it makes it easier to get hold of good cars at reasonable prices after all the clueless people pass buying them because of the digits on the dash :p

Associate
http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C336795

OR

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C323479

OR

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C327629

If you bin them, you'll get hurt/become an example of "natural selection". Things will feel very fast/lairy especially in the wet but as you know how to drive really well you can catch it really easily.You can also fix them yourself and the morris minor owners club have a young drivers scheme.

;)

Oh and you'll pull.*

*much more than any sporty hatchback, but you probably won't care about that :p

Soldato
I had a mini for a while, if you join a club you can get cheap insurance, I was only 230quid for it!
1.3 in a tiny car is good fun for corners, and they really are a piece of pee to maintain (the one linked above is never a 3.5k car tho!)

not sure I'd recommend one for a boy racer as his first car right enough...

Soldato
You'd be surprised how many people I know sell there cars as soon as they get to 80k and won't touch cars with 100k on the clock, its just stupid cars will run past 200k easily these days its just a question of how well its been maintained, at least it makes it easier to get hold of good cars at reasonable prices after all the clueless people pass buying them because of the digits on the dash :p

Very true, I bought my TT cheap cause the bloke thought it has 'had it'. He thought the whole passengers side HID stuff needed replacing, wiper motor, head gasket, wheel bearing, arb bushes gone and it had just passed 100,000 miles.

Turns out coolant was full of that stop leak stuff (so changed it), so not a blown head gasket. HID bulb was replaced = fully working, tracking needed checking and one of the rear seats was and bit loose causing a knock. The wipers were so old and stiff, it caused one of the wiper arms to come loose a bit.

100,000 an a 1.8t is nothing if it is well maintained, same with any car.

Servicing and good repairs are the key!

Last edited:
Soldato
He's been driving for a year so far in his parents car. Don't know what it is but i'm sure he'll have behaved like a nob in it already and learned how not to go into corners, how bad brakes work from high speed and a basic car control.

Edit: It a fiesta is £2100 then forget the MR2 :D

Missed that bit where he said he'd been driving for a year!

Back
Top Bottom