IOS6 HAS IT WIPED ALL?

Associate
IOS6 has wiped everything - my sister distraight cos all her baby's photos etc are gone [as are all contacts etc but these can gradually be rer-collected]. I know nothing about ipads and am not a techie - just give it to me straight - HAS SHE LOST EVRYTHING - FOR GOOD?

Soldato
If she didn't back it up then she may well have done. They might be saved on her photostream though? Depending on when she took them.

Associate
OP
Thanks folks. Am still trying to coordinate your replies etc and await her text replies. can pigeons and Box Brownies ever have been this much bother?

Associate
OP
Ok - she didn't back anything up in any of your above suggested places - so resigned to losing it all. Thanks once again for trying to offer ideas. x

Soldato
What phone is it?

If it's an iPhone 4 (not 4S or 5) she MAY be able to rescue the photos. Google "Dr.Fone", download the trial and see what it finds.

For the curious, it uses the iPhones DFU mode to upload a custom firmare image to the iPhone memory, which then runs a scan on the entire filesystem. No need to jailbreak or similar. I was quite impressed when I gave it a go.

edit: or a 3GS

Soldato
Doesnt iTunes automatically create a backup before installing a new iOS so u can revert if there is a problem with the install?

Look in - C:\Users\YOURNAMEHERE\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup - check the date/time of the latest file in there, if she thinks it is from before she backed up the phone then make a copy of that file and save it to Desktop for safe keeping. Next boot up iTunes, right click on the iPhone in the left menu and select "restore from backup", should give a list of backup files to choose from (these are the ones stored in that backup folder).

Good luck.

Last edited:
Soldato
We updated the phone and the pad, i wasnt aware of any auto sync backup with the pad. Nothing was removed by apps for youtube and some other bits and bobs.
The phone i think did attempt to auto sync backup before installation.

I must admit that with apple and two devices I often worry that not everything is being backed up, as they dont use a conventional folder structure its almost impossible to browse and check, especially if you want to keep two separate types of photos on the phone and the pad and keep them separate.
Still dislike this with apple products.

Soldato
Just FYI in case you thought it was a problem with the iO6 install, YouTube was removed because it is owned by Google and Apple did not renew the licence with them so you have to download the YouTube app from the App store separately.

Soldato
^ !

happened to mine as well. i didnt really mind as i had backed up my photos really recently to my laptop + also using photo stream. i was more annoyed about my contacts. but then realised good old iCloud had my back

Man of Honour
Get her to turn on photo stream and set it up on her computer as well.
Mind boggles why people have special photos on phone and no backups. What was she going to do if she broke/lost or phone was stolen.

Soldato
I can understand her plight I am now lost in photos photostreams and backups.

I have 2 ipods, 2 iphones in my family and 3 differernt accounts and it's a complete mess. Everytime I sync I get photostream folders everywhere on my harddrive also for some reason my videos taken with my ipod dissappear every so often :(

I updated my ipod and phone directly from the devices did they back up? Who knows?

I rarely plug my phone into my pc as it seems to wipe my podcast choices and sync back to when I last plugged it in which can be months before. Same with purchased music it syncs and since the new album I bought on the phone wasn't ticked it wipes it from the phone when I sync unless i note down all my purchases on a bit of paper and then go through my album/artist list manually ticking the boxes. Why can't it leave purchased music on the phone when syncing?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom