Iphone 5 camera issues

Soldato
To be honest, I've seen this with other digital cameras and phones. Seems like Apple bashing for the sake of it to me?

Certainly not had the problem with mine when it's been sunny.

Soldato
OP
Well, apparently the iphone 4 didn't suffer from it.

From what I've read it could be a UV problem with the new sapphire crystal lens which is to blame for this anomaly

Last edited:
Associate
Well, apparently the iphone 4 didn't suffer from it.

From what I've read it could be a UV problem with the new sapphire crystal lens which is to blame for this anomaly

The purple haze can be found on the 4S and other smartphones that don't use sapphire crystal.

This is a common issue with a lot of camera phones.

GeX

GeX

Soldato
It seems to be more prominent on the iPhone5 than on other comparable devices. I see the same issue on my cheapy 808 keyring cameras, but I've not seen it on a smartphone camera for a long time.

I think the big issue here is that the iPhone4s doesn't do it in shot for shot comparisons - so why does the iPhone5? It doesn't matter what is causing, it simply shouldn't do it!

Soldato
I've just been looking through some photos, and there's a few I took a couple of months back with my iPhone 4 in similar conditions (bright light just out of the camera's field of view) and the purple haze was there (albeit to a lesser extent).

Soldato
In Apple's defence they are kind of right, but the problem is they will never admit that it is worse than the previous iPhone. It may well be that the iPhone 5 is more susceptible to this kind of flaring.

It's generally not a good idea to point any camera into the light source for this reason, and people pay a lot of money for lenses that handle the conditions better. You can't really expect a cheap camera to be brilliant with this, although I suppose you could argue it should be at least as good as the model it replaced.

Soldato
It is a strange issue, and it has been put down to a range of reasons, from the sapphire lens cover all the way to ISP portion of the SoC fine tuning the image slightly when the photo is taken.

A lot of websites are using this to their advantage to get mass hits, which is quite sad I find. I only know of one person with a i5 and I did mess about with the camera just outside work but that was perfectly fine. My iPhone 4 certainly never had such issues. Apple are certainly doing themselves no favours with the "You're holding it wrong" speech yet again - if they really did state that.

Soldato
Quite an odd design flaw, you would have expected them to catch this during testing.

NB: Is "your holding it wrong" their default response to any reporting of design/manufacturing issues now? :p

Soldato
It's almost certainly an optical issue - design, materials, coating etc. Pointing the camera into bright light is going to mess up your auto exposure anyway so just don't do it.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

When glass is of an exceptional optical quality, you get interference banding known as brewster's fringes under certain lighting conditions.

I wouldn't mind betting that this purple problem is a hardware one, but then, this is complete speculation.. just going from what I know.. glass.

Back
Top Bottom