Spec me: nuclear themed films!

Soldato
OP
Wow thanks guys!

22 really useful replies in 90 minutes, you've outdone yourselves! :D

No-one derided me for not seeing Mad Max yet either...we're definitely not in GD anymore! ;)

I'm going to sift through each one, some I've seen before but have forgotten about such as The Sum of All Fears, really keen to watch them again!

Thanks for the link simulatorman, that's a genius idea, good old Wikipedia!

Some chortles as well...Back to the Future! :D

I watched Akira years ago and couldn't make much sense of it then....I read the graphic novel only a few weeks ago...couldn't make much more sense of that either...just...bonkers!

Keep any suggestions coming, there's been several mentions that aren't on the Wiki list!

Soldato
The Bed Sitting Room. It is a 1970's satire on a post nuclear war britain which stars the likes of Peter Cook, Dudley Moore, Arthur Lowe etc. I saw this again recently and had forgottom how utterly bleak the films story actually was, despite all these comedy heroes playing the characters.

Soldato
By Dawns Early Light - (1990) (TV) More at IMDbPro »

"The crew of a nuclear bomber attack the Soviet Union while the President of the United States tries desperately to regain control of his military after his helicopter crashes during a limited nuclear exchange in this film with a scenario similar to _Fail Safe_ and _Dr. Strangelove_. Originally a made for cable movie, it concentrates on the relationship between a veteran pilot and his female co-pilot and the president's attempt to wrest control away from a war-mongering successor."

Loved it as a kid, it's Powers Booth, Rebecca De Mornay and James Earl Jones etc, Not bad!

Soldato
OP

"The crew of a nuclear bomber attack the Soviet Union while the President of the United States tries desperately to regain control of his military after his helicopter crashes during a limited nuclear exchange in this film with a scenario similar to _Fail Safe_ and _Dr. Strangelove_. Originally a made for cable movie, it concentrates on the relationship between a veteran pilot and his female co-pilot and the president's attempt to wrest control away from a war-mongering successor."

Loved it as a kid, it's Powers Booth, Rebecca De Mornay and James Earl Jones etc, Not bad!

I don't care how good or bad it is, if it's got James Earl Jones in it, it's a must watch!

Thanks for the tip! :)

Associate
I'm most interested in the procedures and preparation, huge bunkers in the hillside (vaults Fallout fans :D) to the different Defcon stages, authorisation codes etc., all the way up to the aftermath.

I know it's already been mentioned but if you like all that stuff then you'll love The Sum of all Fears. I think it's based on a Clancy book and there's a good dollop of CIA agents, meetings with deep-voiced men, Neo-Nazis, the President walking very fast with aides telling him they have no idea what's going on etc. It's also plain ol' enjoyable thriller. Report back when you've watched it. :)

Soldato
OP
I know it's already been mentioned but if you like all that stuff then you'll love The Sum of all Fears. I think it's based on a Clancy book and there's a good dollop of CIA agents, meetings with deep-voiced men, Neo-Nazis, the President walking very fast with aides telling him they have no idea what's going on etc. It's also plain ol' enjoyable thriller. Report back when you've watched it. :)

:D:D:D Why hasn't Family Guy done a montage of this like they do with the 80s montages???

Last edited:
Associate

This film is awesome. Get on it OP.

Back
Top Bottom