Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Well it's the start of the new Audax season. Kicked it off with a 100km/65mile Tasty Cheddar run.

I was dropping people like flies until I came across an orange jacket in the distance who took me far longer than I expected to catch and when I did I got absolutely schooled. This guy was at least 60 and riding a brompton with drop bars no less. Not only did he stick to me like glue for the next 15 miles he took me a couple of times and it wasn't until we hit a long 18% grade hill that I actually dropped him. I then spent the next 10 miles or so looking over my shoulder fully expecting to see him in the distance gaining on me :)

Was a good day for a ride, shame about all the rain last night though came across so many flooded fords, the deepest was almost knee height :o merino socks saved me again from having miserable wet feet though. But good start to the new season.

Associate
Probably a spot.

Or an ingrown hair. I used to get loads of them before getting padded shorts.

I've just got back from my longest ever ride. 37miles. Probably quite short to some but I felt it towards the end. I also ended up doing half of it with a creaky crank which after diverting to two different bike shops (the ride was originally supposed to be 30m) I found out is probably a dodgy cartridge bearing. This is after one of them disassembling, greasing and reassembling the crank.

Yay.

Soldato
Mate, if you're near Carterton pop into Giles Cycles as they stock most of the Giant range. Very helpful people and they will let you test ride the bikes.
The Giant Defy Advanced 3 a nice bike, was above my price range (I bought a Defy Composite 3) The Focus is nice also, but you really need to try a bike if you're going to spend that amount of £ on it.

Agreed, they are a nice bunch in there. They've got a few Felts on display as well. Don't buy from them though, quite expensive.

Associate
got another 45 in today. quite windy on the way back though.

how do i stop the part which an spd cleat bolts in to stop rattling in my she as i use a look cleat?

Underboss
Hey guys

from work i went to Giles Cycles in Carterton (somebody recomended me to try it on this thread)

and well, i think it went well, I told them what i was after and told them what ive been told about sizing and he measured my inside leg and asked how tall i was etc and he got out a calculator and according to him i should be riding on a 51cm frame (probabally a medium/large but he didnt have any bikes that size for me to test it on, i am 6'2 with an inside leg of 31 and bikes shop told me to sit on the bike and and it the hood position, and the lower handlebars etc the front hub should be in a particular place to the handle bars (eye sight or not in-sight etc) but that is wrong according to Giles Cycles ,evans and my local store put me on a 59/60cm and said they fit, but in Giles he said its too big as my arms are out sretched and my shoulder blades ar "open" so for long rides it would be horrible, but he said your legs would be fine though, but that wont be your problem.

So i would say he knows what hes talking about, the boss is on holiday at the mo, but apparently hes about the same size as me and rides a large frame i think he said, and he said i could test ride his, so im going back on Tuesday afterwork to test and get sized up

What do you think guys? is he right or wrong?

Also he said he can get test bikes within 3 days !!! and can get most Giant Defy's instock very quickly!

Soldato
I'd be confused if I was you as well. You have a long body and short legs so I would have thought that reach would have been the last of your problems.

Finding a bike that fits can be a very tricky business. I'm 5'9" with a 33" inside leg so finding a frame for me can be a nightmare.

Soldato
A 51cm is pretty small but it depends how they measure. If the top tube is similar to that of a 58cm then fair enough.

I'd have thought a 58cm bike would be better for your standover and maybe a longer stem for reach.

Associate
I've just weighed myself for the first time in 3 months. I've dropped from 12st10lb to 12st exactly. Yay cycling.

Nice one. I'm trying to shift a bit of weight but because of the odd sweet binge I'm holding at 15st at the moment. It's not all fat though.

I could probably drop a good 3st and be at my ideal weight if I could just lay off the chocolate.

A 51cm is pretty small but it depends how they measure. If the top tube is similar to that of a 58cm then fair enough.

I'd have thought a 58cm bike would be better for your standover and maybe a longer stem for reach.

Yeah that does seem a bit weird. I'm 5'9 with dinky legs and I'm on a 54.

Associate
hmm, very confusing, damien whats your inside leg?

sounds like i might need a 56/58 then you recon?

Can't remember exactly but I think it was around 29-30" when I was sizing myself up for mine. My size 54 CX bike is a hair too small on the standover (the top tube cups the unmentionables when I've got no shoes on) but is ok on the reach. The geometry might be slightly different on mine though. I'm no expert.

Associate
Hey guys

from work i went to Giles Cycles in Carterton (somebody recomended me to try it on this thread)

and well, i think it went well, I told them what i was after and told them what ive been told about sizing and he measured my inside leg and asked how tall i was etc and he got out a calculator and according to him i should be riding on a 51cm frame (probabally a medium/large but he didnt have any bikes that size for me to test it on, i am 6'2 with an inside leg of 31 and bikes shop told me to sit on the bike and and it the hood position, and the lower handlebars etc the front hub should be in a particular place to the handle bars (eye sight or not in-sight etc) but that is wrong according to Giles Cycles ,evans and my local store put me on a 59/60cm and said they fit, but in Giles he said its too big as my arms are out sretched and my shoulder blades ar "open" so for long rides it would be horrible, but he said your legs would be fine though, but that wont be your problem.

So i would say he knows what hes talking about, the boss is on holiday at the mo, but apparently hes about the same size as me and rides a large frame i think he said, and he said i could test ride his, so im going back on Tuesday afterwork to test and get sized up

What do you think guys? is he right or wrong?

Also he said he can get test bikes within 3 days !!! and can get most Giant Defy's instock very quickly!

I'm pretty sure Giant measure thier farnes different from most manufacturers (or at least that is what I was told) I'm 5'10" and the meduim Giant frame fits me spot on:

http://www.giant-road-bike.com/index.php/bike-fitting-issues/

Frame size was a worry for me before I bought my bike, so I went to a shop and tried some bikes. I liked the feel of the Giant Composite frame and the bike felt really nice to ride (still does, done a 34 mile ride today furthest i've ever ridden)

End of the day, try the frame he says and see how it feels riding it, then decide :)

Soldato
You can't take anything seriously in GD. It's just a mud slinging fest :)

My Trek is on it's last legs to the point replacing the worn parts it would probably be cheaper to buy a new bike so what CX bikes are people using or rating?

Soldato
I'm 5'10 and have short 30" inside leg and also find it difficult to find a frame that fits.

One of my bikes is a giant large frame which I think works out at ~57 in normal size, and it fits alight as it gives me enough room in the upper body I just had to flip and slam the stem to get my bum a bit more in the air as I obviously can't get the seat too high so get the bars as low as they go.

Luckily it also has a sloping top tube which gives my junk clearance, just.

Last edited:
Underboss
I'm pretty sure Giant measure thier farnes different from most manufacturers (or at least that is what I was told) I'm 5'10" and the meduim Giant frame fits me spot on:

http://www.giant-road-bike.com/index.php/bike-fitting-issues/

Frame size was a worry for me before I bought my bike, so I went to a shop and tried some bikes. I liked the feel of the Giant Composite frame and the bike felt really nice to ride (still does, done a 34 mile ride today furthest i've ever ridden)

End of the day, try the frame he says and see how it feels riding it, then decide :)

I am hopeing that when i test ride the Managers bike on Tuesday, and getting more advice from him, "hopefully" comming out of that shop i will have a better idea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom