Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Thanks for that, I'd rather be able to see than adhere to inane rules.

Contacts and laser eye surgery are not options so I don't see anything wrong with cycling glasses with prescription lens.

was more to do with them being prescription glasses with clip on covers, may as well just get covers and save yourself the money
if you want real prescription sunglasses then you need the lenses made properly.

Soldato
so how do you lot deal with rain? im thinking of picking a hybrid bike soon for 18mile/day commute :) my bmx won't cut this time - no mudguards + 2x the distance 5x days a week will not be OK for my back even tho im young :)

Soldato
general opinion seems to be mudguards and wicking/quick drying material for your clothes are the best way
cheap waterproof tops make you sweat/boil etc
you're going to get wet, the important bit is trying to stay warm!

Soldato
I guess you mean the "direct glaze" type which are just the one piece prescription lenses. Unfortunately, these are mega expensive.:(

Price has increased massively in the last few years. Oakley have seen the Mamils coming. My prescription Flak Jackets were £200 three years ago. I chipped one of the lenses at a triathlon and got a quote this summer for a reglaze and it was £400. I can live with the chip.

Soldato
What I'm after is a relatively cheap solution that allows me to have cycling-style frames with lenses in my prescription and interchangeable tints for different conditions. Those £90 ones seem to match that criteria, but there doesn't seem to be much else out there without forking out several hundred pounds. Even then, I'd just have a single tint and have to spend additional £££ for another tint in my prescription.

Soldato
Just looking over my stats and I've ridden 599.5 miles in the last month. Averaging 121 non commuting miles per week for the year so far :)

Soldato
Have only managed 3777 miles to date this year and have only crept over the 500 mark in March and June. This month looks good with 142 miles already and no plans not to ride.

November will be crap as I'm moving house and December is always low mileage what with Xmas and much drinking. I won't see 5000 this year.

Soldato
Most of my cycling is commuting, the only downside of young children is that it's hard to justify disappearing between 7 an 2 at the weekend and being too knackered to do anything once you get back. I generally only get extra laps of Richmond Park as part of the commute, or events that I've signed up for.

Last year I managed 7500 miles and 6500 in 2010.

This year will be my lowest mileage in a few years.

Associate
so how do you lot deal with rain?

I think the general consensus is exactly that. Just deal with it.

If it's raining you're going to get wet, and wet and cool is better than wet and too warm. Wear overshoes though because wet feet suck. Most of the water that gets your bottom half is what comes up off the floor anyway rather than from what's rained on you.

All I do apart from wear overshoes is carry a cheap waterproof jacket in my bag for when the really torrential stuff comes down.

Soldato
I made the mistake of going out for a ride this morning in shorts and normal socks and shoes. Within 45 minutes, my feet were completely numb, so I conceded defeat and headed home. Summer is well and truly over now, guys; time to break out the leg warmers and overshoes *sigh*

Associate
stevo and chasser, what bike sizes do you guys have? just wondering becuase im in oxfordshire too

I know you said medium stevo, is that a 54cm?

According to this:

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb...ite.3.blue.white.silver/11832/56799/#geometry

Its a 50cm frame..

Here's another set of Giant size charts that shows how a Giant sized frame compares to other size frames:

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/technology/compactroad/57/

All very confusing, hence why I gave up trying to pick a bike online and went to a shop to try some bikes :)

Caporegime
[DOD]Asprilla;22913715 said:
Most of my cycling is commuting, the only downside of young children is that it's hard to justify disappearing between 7 an 2 at the weekend and being too knackered to do anything once you get back. I generally only get extra laps of Richmond Park as part of the commute, or events that I've signed up for.

Last year I managed 7500 miles and 6500 in 2010.

This year will be my lowest mileage in a few years.

I'm at 759 miles for the year on Strava, and that'll be a bit short because I only started using it part way into my cycling and my phone battery routinely dies before my rides are done. I'm averaging about 60-70 miles a week at present, so I think I should make it to upwards of 1200 by the end of the year, allowing for inclement weather in the depths of winter. It's not much by your standards, but not bad for my first half year or so!

All leisure cycling btw - no commuting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom