BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
My friend has one on order, I am looking forward to borrowing it ! The 30k price is a bit miss leading by the time you add a few options it is not far off 35k. I am curious to what price Audi are going to charge for the new S3 they can't really price it much higher.

The new S3 is the equivalent of £31K in Germany, so I would expect it to be close to that.

Soldato
To be fair my 335i "feels" slow compared my 182. Obviously it isn't, it just gets up to speed with an absolute minimum of fuss and in my opinion can feel a bit sterile at times.

Soldato
Went in a friends 335d and was pushing silly speeds in no time , but felt completely uninvolved , was quite impressed by the noise it made for a diesel though, so yes it did feel slow it certainly wasn't.

Associate
There is a lot included for your £30k. The leather, xenons and M brakes are worth £2.5k. Auto wipers only costs about £125, spec driver and interior comfort packs gives you parking sensors and other nice kit.

discounts up to 10% are available if your prepared to haggle at BMW levels

admittedly the standard extras draw you in, but allow for parking sensors adaptive lights, lumbar support and a black panel display [all of which should be standard IMO] or you'll be kicking yourself

Last edited:
Soldato
Just found out that both of my rear 19" 225s are cracked!!

Apparently they have to do some kind of "run out" test, if they pass the test then chances are they will replace them under warranty, if they fail looks like I'll have to find the £££ for two new rear wheels!!

Anybody know if there is a "guide" to how to deal with BMW in this regard as I believe this is a very common fault

Soldato
zipit.gif

(Headrat, if you want some help/advice, drop me an email :) )

Soldato
Can someone persuade me not to purchase an E46 320d M Sport?

I am really, really indecisive about what car to buy.... only the above car seems to tick all the boxes (bar potential reliability).

Associate
Just found out that both of my rear 19" 225s are cracked!!

Apparently they have to do some kind of "run out" test, if they pass the test then chances are they will replace them under warranty, if they fail looks like I'll have to find the £££ for two new rear wheels!!

Anybody know if there is a "guide" to how to deal with BMW in this regard as I believe this is a very common fault

What were your tell-tale signs that they were cracked? Or was it during a tyre change/inspection that the cracks were discovered?

I have the same 225's, tyre pressures remain constant atm, just worried that mine could have a crack as my roads are shocking! Guess its a matter of time.

Last edited:
Soldato
This is a 320d, of course it's going to make dag dag sounds, I'm well aware of that :( needs must though.

A Golf TDi will make similar dags.

Man of Honour
Can someone persuade me not to purchase an E46 320d M Sport?

Yes, unless you want a Touring you'll find it almost impossible to find one unless you mean a Sport ;)

I am really, really indecisive about what car to buy.... only the above car seems to tick all the boxes (bar potential reliability).

If you can afford to run an old BMW you can afford not to worry about mpgz to the extent that you buy a 320d. I'm not really sure what the point in 320d's is now - they work well as a nearly new eco-purchase for company car drivers etc but once they get to the age of needing ££££ suspension refreshes and turbo rebuilds etc etc why bother? Might as well just go for the 330i, at least then you get a great BMW engine for your BMW costs.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;22923089 said:
If you can afford to run an old BMW you can afford not to worry about mpgz to the extent that you buy a 320d. I'm not really sure what the point in 320d's is now - they work well as a nearly new eco-purchase for company car drivers etc but once they get to the age of needing ££££ suspension refreshes and turbo rebuilds etc etc why bother? Might as well just go for the 330i, at least then you get a great BMW engine for your BMW costs.

Does the 330i run on normal unleaded petrol?

If I can achieve around 35mpg on a 30 mile 99% motorway journey (1% dually) then I think I will be persuaded.

Soldato
Thread needs more pics so here's a couple of my M3 Evo Convertible after a bit of polish and wax.

Some nice options, heated seats, auto climate with auto recirc, mtech steering wheel, HK speakers.

Great for these sunny evenings.

m3frontcorner.jpg

interiorfu.jpg

Soldato
Lovely E36 there! Do want!

[TW]Fox;22923136 said:
It can, yes, though Super is only 5p a litre more.

Well the only issue I see is that my current car will be very similar to the 330i (hence wanted a derv to bring fuel costs down) except it already has the bushes and preventative maintenance already completed.

So a move to the petrol BMW would not be financially motivated. Then again, I should take on board that a move to a derv BMW would not really be all that financially sound either.

I guess it just comes down to the fact that cheap, reliable motoring with luxuries (such as climate and cruise) doesn't exist - well there is the Jetta but I think that uses the later PD engine and also the interior is a million miles away from BMW.

Soldato
Lovely E36 there! Do want!

Well the only issue I see is that my current car will be very similar to the 330i (hence wanted a derv to bring fuel costs down) except it already has the bushes and preventative maintenance already completed.

So a move to the petrol BMW would not be financially motivated. Then again, I should take on board that a move to a derv BMW would not really be all that financially sound either.

I guess it just comes down to the fact that cheap, reliable motoring with luxuries (such as climate and cruise) doesn't exist - well there is the Jetta but I think that uses the later PD engine and also the interior is a million miles away from BMW.

*If* your definition of luxuries is limited to Climate Control & Cruise Control, then you ought to have plenty of choice... A Mk3 Mondeo Ghia X (for example) will not offer a premium badge or an RWD driving experience, but it'll do cheap reliable motoring with (some) luxuries...

What are you running atm?

At first glance, the idea of trading in a looked after ~330i for an unknown ~320d smacks of moving money out of the "fuel expense" column, into the "looking after all over again" column, with little real net benefit tbh...

Soldato
*If* your definition of luxuries is limited to Climate Control & Cruise Control, then you ought to have plenty of choice... A Mk3 Mondeo Ghia X (for example) will not offer a premium badge or an RWD driving experience, but it'll do cheap reliable motoring with (some) luxuries...

What are you running atm?

At first glance, the idea of trading in a looked after ~330i for an unknown ~320d smacks of moving money out of the "fuel expense" column, into the "looking after all over again" column, with little real net benefit tbh...

Luxuries compared to what I have at the moment - S14a, what it lacks in luxury it makes up for in other departments.

The Mondeo Ghia X is an option I've considered but it doesn't appear to be all that more fuel efficient than the BMW?

I don't mind paying for repairs, I'd just rather not be left at the side of the road or be needing repairs every month.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom