Whats happening to me?

Associate
I call that chronic gaming slump :D

Whenever that happens to me I usually try to change my play style or try out different games that I previously hate / dislike and for some reason it works for me

Permabanned
The Problem is while they look prettier Games just don't have the length or re-playability that the old ones did... I still find myself enjoying Deus Ex, system shock, Baldurs Gate & Halflife whereas I'm getting bored of Bioshock, Skyrim, Dragon age etc...

they don't allow people to make map, mods etc... its all about money now.

Associate
I've experienced the same thing.

I like playing games but few have really grabbed my attention in recent years. Fallout 3 took me two years of on/off gaming to complete. RAGE was the first game in ages I played from start to finish in a few weeks! Last year I had so many games on my pile of "to complete at some point" it was getting silly. I have managed to get through some of them, the most recent being Metro 2033 last night.

Borderlands 2 had me hooked for a couple of hours three nights in a row but my social life is busy and after a few nights off gaming I haven’t gone back to it. I really want to get Dishonored but with so many other games waiting to be finished, can I really justify it? Surely it’ll just get pushed to the side like the rest?

So what’s happening to me? I guess I’m just growing up and finding other things to do with my time.

Then again, I will quite happily sit down with System Shock 2 once a year and play that from start to finish :)

Last edited:
No, I would rather be rekindling my love for games than losing it :(

Dude the fact you're worried tells me the love is still there... as it is with me I'm just praying the developers sort there act out and start making games that have length, plot and playability that I wish to go back to... try replaying some of your older games and see how you feel.

Permabanned
I only ever was a very casual gamer, most games over the last 10 years if i played them it would be for a few hours and then never play it again. Apart from quake live which i still play all the time. cod:waw i played a fair a amount and recently played a lot of d3 and now just bought bf3. For the first time in for as long as i can remember, i have three games that i enjoy playing and i still have cs:s and beta available to play. But recently last 6 months i have been playing more games than i have in the last 5 years. I kind of go through stages where i don't play any games for a while, not even quake live. Then ill start playing again. It just depends on what my social life is like i guess. At the moment i don't have a social life so playing more games :D

Soldato
I fell out of love with games for a few years, now I am back.

CS:GO and Dota2 have rescued me.

Never played a Dota2 style game before, but it's the perfect mix of strategy/rpg type of thing. I love it, shame I suck and the people on this game seem to be the most unforgiving bunch who won't help when someone asks advice, but belittle them for being rubbish :/

Soldato
It's got absolutely nothing to do with age, for those claiming going off games = growing up.

It's just a change of interests.

Wouldn't even call it that, in my case, really.

I don't game anywhere near as much as I used to, and only because I just don't have the time to do it. If I sit down to game, I want to play for 2-3 hours. These days I can't... by the time you're in from work, house cleaned up a little, grab a drink, check emails, make dinner, sort out the dogs and finally collapse on the sofa there's maybe 2-3 hours before bed time again.

In that case, IF I don't have writing to do (which I normally do!) I'll just slap on a movie or some TV shows as you can guarantee the wife will need me to go do something in the middle of it.

Friday nights are about my only gaming time unless I get a sneaky hour in here and there. When there's a high profile new release, I'll probably cane an entire Friday evening/most of Saturday on it as long as she's not too bothered.

Games just continue to pile up. Oh, for those Uni days spent doing nothing but drinking and playing Day of Defeat. :(

Back
Top Bottom