• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Since ATI 12.8 update, PC crashing.

Associate
Not entirely sure where to put this but graphics cards seems the best option.

So my problem is as follows:
- I usually overclock at a safe level for my GPU, it usually sits at 70C at 100% activity when playing Starcraft 2 or Blacklight.
- Since 12.8 ATI update, even if I overclock a small amount, my PC crashes a few minutes later while sitting at around 60-70C while playing modern games.
- Before the update, I was able to overclock to max on my card, 6850HD with CCCenter and not have any problems whatsoever.
- I use a 430W Corsair, even though it's not so great, I have had zero problems since purchasing it regardless of what I do.
- MY CPU temperature is safe and I've cleaned out my PC of dust.

Is this related to the new driver and should I rollback to a previous driver, if so, which one?

Thanks.

Soldato
Rollback to previous stable drivers. I know this is classed as post hoc, but since updating the drivers...and nothing else, the drivers are the cause...rolling back takes a few seconds. If it sorts the problem out - do it.

Associate
I have also had a BSOD since switching to 12.8 :( runs fine in games but 2D acceleration on websites causes display driver to stop responding. Dammit AMD the 12.6 driver I had on before was perfectly stable with no problems whatsoever.

Associate
I had problems too, with FireFox, crashing all the time.

Turned off Hardware acceleration in Options/Advance tab. All sorted now.

Associate
I to had a few problems with 12.8 one being CCC would not accept any kind of overclock i put onto the card. On sunday I went through a full format of the drive and installed windows fresh with a fresh 12.7Beta install as ive found overclocking and stability to be best on 12.7 so far.

Associate
hey,

i always download the drivers from the amd website (ccc) but i only install the drivers. In my amd folder i have 12.4 and 12.6 and if i install the new ones i will also have 12.8. Just wondering if this is ok as i dont know how to remove the older ones

Man of Honour
Not had any crashing issues but do get random intermitant textures poping up with 12.8 & 12.9 beta, once in a blue moon I get them with 12.6 and never get them with 12.4, thats on a 7870 and is definitely a driver issue, I can live with it but it'll put me off and AMD card next time I upgrade!

Associate
Hm, guess i should install the drivers from my XFX's install disc when it comes time to install it in my system. I know i shouldn't technically bother with the driver disc, but it at least gives me something to roll back to if the 12.8 drivers give me trouble.

Associate
As above, I had BSOD and program errors, thought it was my card not being able to overclock as high as I was trying. After getting ram stable my pc is rock solid. :D

Back
Top Bottom