Insurance provider changing policy without consent...

Soldato
So I got in today from work, and have a lovely letter from Admiral sitting on my desk.

Letter claims I didn't disclose vehicle mods on my car... that's strange, because I don't have any :rolleyes:

Apparently I made an online quote (which I did) after I had bought my insurance. This online quote was just to see how much a new exhaust/air filter would be, I decided not to do it right now and wait a few months...

Admiral however decided it would be best to apply those modifications to my policy, without having them on my car - GO ADMIRAL.

Upon phoning them, I'm told I have to take it to a garage to get written proof it's not modified. I stated it's their assumption, so I will happily do it if they pay for Fuel + Labour time as it's a 350Z not a 60MPG car. They also said this was required to validate my policy against a claim... so how can I drive it to a garage if my policy isn't "valid" at present? :p

They have said they cannot pay for that, I have 1 day left (tomorrow) when I can cancel my policy within 14 days... what would you do?

Soldato
OP
They were cheaper by like £20... thing is I may be selling at the end of next month due to a move. But obviously don't want it uninsured.

They said if I phoned tomorrow, they could cancel policy, refund half the month and no admin charge... I however would like to win as it's not my screw up, so may threaten ombudsman etc.

Had to speak to India tonight, so may call sales (UK based) and work from there tomorrow.

Soldato
Up until 2 weeks ago i worked for direct line (moved due to crappy shifts and a 50odd mile round commute) and i know if we had tried to pull that one on a customer we would have backed down pretty damn quick in the event of a complaint being logged.

If you'd got me on the phone i would have bent over backwards to have your costs covered on that one, or better still to have the whole thing dropped with a few quid compensation thrown in for our **** up.

Does this mean if you do a quote for a Ferrari F40 they would change your policy to that car for you, or if you do a quote at a high risk address they would change your address to that one, or a quote for 90k miles a year etc.....

Phone them when their UK staff are available but don't go mental at them & they will be more helpful, what they have done is a load of crap to be honest & I don't see how they have a leg to stand on.

Soldato
Skeeter had this recently didn't he? Did a speculative quote on something (under a different name etc. too) and then they just applied it to his policy and started charging him for it.

Soldato
OP
I'm inclined to claim a data protection breach tbh... taking an enquiry I've submitted via a 3rd party WITH NO PROOF WHO IS MAKING THE SUBMISSION and applying it to a policy validated to be MINE is pretty messed up.

I'm all for information sharing, but what has happened is just scary. Worst of all while doing these "mod" checks, I stuck two turbos and a supercharger on it too... if they picked up that my policy would be above 10 grand. As I'm paying by direct debit that would have been 20 grand a year £1600 a month deducted and I would be screwed.

Really not happy at the moment, nothing at all wrong with me speculating what a mod will cost, and using that to aid my decision making without being scrutinised for doing research.

Soldato
I'm inclined to claim a data protection breach tbh... taking an enquiry I've submitted via a 3rd party WITH NO PROOF WHO IS MAKING THE SUBMISSION and applying it to a policy validated to be MINE is pretty messed up.

I'm all for information sharing, but what has happened is just scary. Worst of all while doing these "mod" checks, I stuck two turbos and a supercharger on it too... if they picked up that my policy would be above 10 grand. As I'm paying by direct debit that would have been 20 grand a year £1600 a month deducted and I would be screwed.

Really not happy at the moment, nothing at all wrong with me speculating what a mod will cost, and using that to aid my decision making without being scrutinised for doing research.

Don't back down, fight them. I'd be writing a formal, concise letter to their complaints department with your (valid IMHO) points. Given the time frame could you fax them the letter?

Soldato
OP
What is to stop someone here getting my reg off the motors forum lol, hell I could shove Naths supra in, know his name... and say he's got mental mods...

It is quite scary.

Someone at a call centre tomorrow is going to have a pretty ****** day.

P.s. Nath I'd never really do that to you, just an example :D

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'd be mighty pee'd off if they did this to me!

If its not too much hassle, I'd be sorely tempted to involve the ombudsman, the M.D. of the company, any motoring press thats willing to listen and somebody like BBC watchdog.

Sounds like a right **** take!

Give 'em hell, & expect a climbdown.

And then still tell the cheeky ****'s where to go!

Soldato
I had the exact thing with Admiral, they took funds off my card as well that could have caused issues.

Before I went with them I ran quotes on a comparison site with and without mods I had planned to get a rough idea who to go with. Took out an insurance policy for my unmodded car but got a letter 2 weeks stating my car *must* have mods and they have saved me the trouble and added them to my policy for £££.

Rang em up and told them exactly what I thought of that and they removed them there and then. The only written proof was me sending them an email saying that the car isn't modded and has never been modified whilst I had the policy with themselves.

Needless to say I binned them off after the year.

Soldato
I'm gonna have fun with this. I think I'll get speculative quotes for all my neighbours on their cars but declare that they have loads of mods.

What a load of rubbish. Plenty of people get quotes for mods that they don't have so that they can see whether it's going to put their insurance up or not.

Soldato
OP
Plan of action tomorrow...

1. Put the problem to them
2. Try make them remove it
3. Throw some legal entities around
4. Explain all the calls thus far have been recorded and will be sent to FOS and Watchdog. Can't use them in court without their permission, but hey they most likely won't like that I have people recorded :D
5. Cancel policy
6. Formal complaint in writing :)

Only way I won't cancel the policy now is with a 10-15% discount on my policy for stress I've had go through from their threatening letters ^^

Soldato
4. Explain all the calls thus far have been recorded and will be sent to FOS and Watchdog. Can't use them in court without their permission, but hey they most likely won't like that I have people recorded :D

They record them anyway, i used to get told "i'm recording this" all the time and my response would just be "so are we".

They are definately in the wrong here, as someone else pointed out for all they know someone else did the quote. Surely for them to then use that quote to alter your policy is a breach of dpa. I'd be wanting money off them tbh or take the issue further.

Back
Top Bottom