BOINC won't utilise my GPU. Any ideas?

Caporegime
I have a rig set up to fold 24/7 (with the exception of when I use it for LAN games very very occasionally)

The specs are:

Core 2 Duo E8200 @ 2.66GHz (has overclocking problems that I am trying to remedy) w' Asus Royal Knight

4GB Crucial 1066MHz DDR3

Gigabyte P41T-D3

Asus 8800GTS G80 320MB

The BOINC supported GPU list has my GPU listed, however when I tell BOINC to use the GPU (even when system is active) the GPU remains at around 0% usage as normal whereas the CPU sits at 100%.

Any ideas?

Cheers guys :)

Man of Honour
What project are you running? Not all of them use the GPU and some have very specific requirements as to what GPU they will run on.

Associate
Also check that you have got the speeds of the card rock stable; i know SETI@home has a limit to the number of work units that you are given, and that gets reduced if you keep returning bad wu- and a bad graphics card can return like 20 bad wu's in a blink of an eye if you weren't looking.

Caporegime
OP
I am running Rosetta@Home.

The card is overclocked to 650MHz on the core and 2000MHz on the memory, it is totally stable judging by its performance on MSI Kombuster. Never goes above 84*C on Kombuster using my custom fan profile either.

I tried Folding@Home, that uses the GPU just fine. So for the past little while I have been running Rosetta@Home and Folding@Home at the same time. (Rosetta on CPU, Folding on GPU)

Last edited:
Associate
Rosetta is CPU only. As you have an NVidia card you would get good performance crunching something like SETI.

Back
Top Bottom