SETI@Home & Projects News Vol. 185 5th October to 12th October 2012

Soldato
OP
Nice to have you back T'Bag :D

I'm just doing my bit for DC Vault atm and then a little Folding - but I'll be back on SETI soon - I have yet to get to No1 :D

Welcome back Tony.

Finally got another 470 for my second rig and my RAC is back up to 100k. I feel proud of myself even if Mr Loudbob's morning flatulence crunches more than both my rigs put together :D

Good to be back .... well it was then it was not now its ok again, lots of hardware under the bridge last few days i may be skint but i could use my rma gubbins to put a deposit on a house :D

Wonder if the new lunatics optimised app is any closer to release what say you Mr Loudbob sah? :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Put me down as a member of the single PC fraternity please Mr Toxic sah. I've fired up the ol' GTS250 again for the cause after starving it for a while, so it's now hungrily chomping on its favourite food :)

Associate
cpartcert1.php

:D

Still on a single pc. :)

Soldato
OP
ooooh i badly want to dip me toes into the 6 series look forward to this :)

Ahemm!

New king of the hill, many conratulations Mr Reaver sah adjectives fail me (am also luminous green with envy)

Associate
Congrats ReaVer......

You deserve it :D

I just had an email confirming that a replacement GTX570 Classified is on it's way (should be here by end of week) - along with the replacement GTX460 (so I should be able to sell the two 460's too) - might even look at selling the 480's so that I can replace them with something a little more kind to my lectric bill ;).

I think you'll be safe at the top - at least until the opt apps arrive (no new news on that I'm afraid :()

Soldato
That's a hoooooge tiffy derv, congrats! :cool:

Now then. My humble GTS250 apparently didn't appreciate being brought out of retirement and has gone on strike... permanently. I therefore need a replacement - one that's not too power-hungry and can run SETI. Am thinking of a GT560Ti, but any better suggestions would be welcomed :)

Associate
560ti (448 core) would be a good choice although a 6 series might be better on the ol' leccy bill. A couple of 690s should do it :D

Soldato
I think two 690s might be a bit optimistic given my present (im)pecuniary situation - however awesome that would be :D

Thanks for the advice derv - the 6xx series really surprised me with their wattage figures so will go for one of those. Would a 640 or 650 (650Ti at a push, but that's right at the upper end of my budget) be of much use do you know?

Associate
Until the new optimised apps come out (might be a while...) the 5 series cards seem to be performing better than the 6 series for SETI. Is your rig purely for SETI or will you be gaming on it?

Associate
I'll second the 560ti. Not sure what your budget is but the last couple have sold on MM for around £110 I think.

Back
Top Bottom