Critique My CV Please

Associate
GD,

Having to apply for placements for next year so I am asking around for advice on what to chop and change on my CV.

It is not finished yet, still need to add to tech skills, but fire away.

FtNPF.jpg

2ppgW.jpg

Thanks

Soldato
The reference at the end doesnt make sense, provide contact details so they can follow it up themselves :)

Not saying you did but you COULD, have made that up.

Associate
OP
The reference at the end doesnt make sense, provide contact details so they can follow it up themselves :)

Not saying you did but you COULD, have made that up.

I have blurred out the officers name and badge number, but Ill add a contact number for that station.

Thanks

Soldato
On first glimps it seems very general, i.e. it is not job specific which it needs to be. On my CV's instead of Personal Profile I have Objective, here I have said a small amount about myself and why I want that job/what I aim to acheive from it. I also have a section titled Relevent Experence, this is self explanatory. Pretty much every sentence on my CV relates to the specific job I am aplying to and no two of my CVs are the same, even if aplying for the same job at two different places. Oh and there is no need for references, references for a CV are a given & will be asked for at a later date.

The above does work, in my last job I was the only one out of 30 people who were employed that did not get interviewed, they rang up and said I have a job :D

Last edited:
Associate
OP
On first glimps it seems very general, i.e. it is not job specific which it needs to be. On my CV's instead of Personal Profile I have Objective, here I have said a small amount about myself and why I want that job/what I aim to acheive from it. I also have a section titled Relevent Experence, this is self explanatory. Every sentence on my CV relates to the specific job I am aplying to and no two of my CVs are the same, even if aplying for the same job at two different places. Oh and there is no need for references, references for a CV are a given & will be asked for at a leter date.

The above does work, in my last job I was the only one out of 30 people who were employed that did not get interviewed, they rang up and said I have a job :D

Would the personalisation for the job not be included in the covering letter which of course is very personalised to you and the job you are applying for?

Soldato
Would the personalisation for the job not be included in the covering letter which of course is very personalised to you and the job you are applying for?

If they want a covering letter then yes but you still want the CV to specifically relate to the job. I have never used a covering letter.

Associate
Expand on qualifications\technical skills, it looks a bit light. Give what level of knowledge you have in said languages\OS' something along the lines of:

"Operating Systems:
Windows Operating Systems XP through 7 to an adept level of installing, troubleshooting and automation level
Linux (Debian based) intermediate troubleshooting, configuration and administration

Languages
PHP skilled blah blah blah
Java high level of debugging blah blah, programming buzz words here"

Associate
OP
Expand on qualifications\technical skills, it looks a bit light. Give what level of knowledge you have in said languages\OS' something along the lines of:

"Operating Systems:
Windows Operating Systems XP through 7 to an adept level of installing, troubleshooting and automation level
Linux (Debian based) intermediate troubleshooting, configuration and administration

Languages
PHP skilled blah blah blah
Java high level of debugging blah blah, programming buzz words here"

Will put the info in thanks, my only problem is lacking in space to do so.

Soldato
my opinion:
personal profile : too long,lose a sentence at least.

tech skills: whats your experience of these? I tend to look unfavorably on applicants that just list stuff without saying what they can do? If i asked you to program an app in Java would you be able to do it? As from your description you seem to have more skills then some of my tech guys that have been doing this for years!

employment: that is really wordy, try putting it into a few manageable bullet points.

Interest and hobbies: Id lose it, don't care much for those.

References : lose the quote.

you should keep your cv to 2 pages max, if I have 100s of these to go through i'm literally scanning for good juicy information to place you in a 'good' pile for further examination/culling. 9/10 times an extra page means fluff I care very little about.

Is this an IT job your going for? Education is great and all but experience accounts for so much more (bet they dont teach you that at uni) you need to play up your IT ambassador role more and play down the fact that you worked in a pub/bar/strip club. ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
Try to only include stuff which is relevant to the job. The CV should be fairly straight forward and easy to pick out the key skills required for the role. IMO there's too much info there. A lot of what's in your CV can go in the cover letter. Make sure you don't repeat what is in your cover letter though.

My CV is only one page but it has all the necessary info. It's the cover letter which 'sells' me.

I agree with the others regarding the reference. Just write 'References available on request' or something similar.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
One of my concerns is when listing proficiency of a skill. say expert, intermediate, novice.

I am by no means an expert yet, but far higher in some areas then my peers.

So if in reality I think I am intermediate at say HTML, but out do my peers by a long stride, would I put it as expert for the amount of years I have had experience with?

Soldato
One of my concerns is when listing proficiency of a skill. say expert, intermediate, novice.

I am by no means an expert yet, but far higher in some areas then my peers.

So if in reality I think I am intermediate at say HTML, but out do my peers by a long stride, would I put it as expert for the amount of years I have had experience with?

Why use those terms then? Say above average or just that you are more experienced than your current peers?

Soldato
The Part about languages... You should add : C, C#, C++, Haskall and paskall to all that, i say this because after your degree you should have a grasp on all 5 of the above.

Associate
Nice presentation.

I despise these generic and meaningless profile statements but as everyone has one you cannot really go without.

I would probably remove the reference 'snippet' at the end, and just put 'Personal and professional references available upon request' or something similar.

Are you a 1st or 2nd year? If 2nd I would slip in your predicted overall grade somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom