Virus? My computer was locked apprently by West Yorkshire Police! Pic inlcuded

Soldato
Loads of infections these days are an absolute pain to get rid of. I had a google hijack recently on my laptop and it took ages to remove, it instantly deleted any anti malware software.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Its just one file that runs on start up. Go in Safe Mode then use msconfig to find where it is located to delete it. Then run full AV scan but I've not had one yet which has had anything else on there.

These threats are often combined with root kits. The ransonware is often only one part of the equation.

Associate
Anyone else having problems solving this issue ?

Im trying to sort a family members laptop with the virus on and I can choose to boot in all the various safe modes, but its not booting up in safe mode. I can manage to do it just about in "Safe mode with Networking" and i see the safe mode boarder with the messages on but then its almost as if the virus overlaps it and I cant access anythink else

Soldato
GRRRRRRRRR my nobbler of a father in law has just paid a pc shop in cambridge £100 deposit to remove this virus and another nearly £100 for 'better security'.

He panicked when he saw the message and didn't even bother asking anyone :mad:

Nice way to rip off a 75 year old!

Urgh, that made me die a little inside. Name and shame these pieces of **** already.

Caporegime
Also I just read that newer variants are disabling the VSS service so you can't use system restore on those.

How is a machine infected with this? Is it an exploit in Java or Flash?

Soldato
A friend of one of our office managers had this the other day and I took a look for them. Very easy to remove -- boot into Safe Mode, check msconfig startup items and you'll find the executable involved. The one I saw just had random letters and numbers for a name.

Strip it out of there, delete the executable (and folder it's in), restart and run a full scan with your antivirus/antimalware to be sure.

Associate
I'm using Avast, its a bit annoying though.

Its far too over protective, it keeps terminating GAMES for example.

Also I have to endure "Avast Virus Database has been Updated" said in a robotic american female voice on every startup (and occasionally at random intervals).

I know this is an older post but Avast does have a silent mode. It's been a while since I've been gaming, but I don't recall it ever having terminated a game, now that I've said this if I start playing a few more games it'll probably zap every one of them.

Associate
Seen this malware twice this past week, once at work and another on a friend's laptop.

Both time's sorted it out by booting into safe mode (without networking) and then installing malwarebytes program and then copying the definitions file and config folder from another PC into the correct location on the infected PC.

Associate
OP
Lol I remember creating this post! BIG LOL at my typos, massage hehe :p. And how can people say 'how could you fall for a scam like this'? There are a lot of people who would believe this scam e.g. elderly people maybe. Not everyone understands computers like you do.

Soldato
Had this happen to me the other week..... ***** annoying as I was only telling someone the day before I haven't had anything like that happen to me in a long time.

Back
Top Bottom