*** The Official Samsung Galaxy Note II Thread ***

Associate

I've always used QuickOffice, but admittedly I can't remember for the life of me the extent of its functionality.

Quick question to the Note 2 owners who have rooted; are the ROMs out atm creating a worthwhile difference in Battery life and performance? And is TouchWiz worth getting rid of in favour of stock Jellybean?

Permabanned
I'm most certainly not a fanboy. I've never owned a htc or a samsung. Finally changing phones after owning an iPhone 4 32GB for 2 years. Can't stand it and really want to change. Just saying.... and the screen is much better on the HTC, battery life is questionable though. If a nexus version was to come out that would mean great support + updates. I'll wait a month and decide to get a HTC if the HTC 5 Nexus is actually real+ released on the 5th of November, or to just get a Note 2 even though It'll feel outdated very soon due to the old A9 architecture, and the mail 400 gpu.

Have you actually used a Note 2 or Butterfly?

Soldato
Highly unlikely... The ONLY version that T-mobile are selling directly is the LTE version.

Regarding T-mobile, if the phones are not being shipped out by the 22nd (i.e. Monday), then I'm cancelling my order and going elsewhere. I don't really need LTE.

I got the old "stock is in and is shipping this afternoon" BS again yesterday evening. Yet, shock and horror, no shipping notification today.

I agree completely.

Just to clarify.

I was trying to determine if he has a Note 2 via T Mobile, I’m awaiting a Note 2 from T Mobile, but it’s on a 3G contract (I know the phone itself will be LTE), just trying to establish if T Mobile have actually shipped any Note 2s.

Cheers

Soldato
fuming.com

just spoke to orange and they told me that because i am still in my contract i cannot get any loyalty discount (for this phone or any other)

i told them i was happy to pay to buy out the rest of my contract, but she said it didnt matter even if i do that i do not get my loyalty discount for another 2 months

so even if i pay to end my contract there was nothing she could do and admited they had lots of people leave orange because of this

Associate
O2 on contract, but chuck away the contract sim, then after a month just buy out the contract.

£200 handset
£10.50 x 24 (It's actually £13.50 but cancel the data bolt on which is £3)

£50 cashback via quidco
Total: £402

I purchased my original Note and S3 this way. It works. Just speak to an advisor online via the site first to confirm you can cancel the data bolt on, but I've never had an issue with it.

this handset is now £399 as far as i can tell.

Associate
Well, rang Samsung uk to try and retain some sanity. The lady seemed knowledgeable and told me Samsung had released it on the 15th and she doesn't know why tmobile dont have the lte version yet and that it ccould be a problem with their distributor.

I then asked her to confirm the model number of the lte. After holding she replied in the phonetic alphabet GT-N7100. The saga continues

Order now cancelled so it should become instantly available to you all now. Sods law

Last edited:
Soldato
I use Office Suite Pro. It cost a tenner but will do proper MS office files, xlsx, docx and powerpoint. Bought it 12 months back for my tab and it is superb on the note.

Another app I picked up for 25p in the recent sale!

this handset is now £399 as far as i can tell.

Doesn't surprise me, you have to get in fast because they realise pretty quickly what people are doing. Absolute bargain though for those that got it ordered in time, and going by my previous experience I think there is zero chance you will find a similar offer anywhere else.

Associate
Strange priorities. The screen and CPU aren't going to run rings around it when its dead after a few hours because the battery is woefully insufficient.

Not sure about anyone else but I like my devices to be well rounded. No point having an OMG screen and POWAH!! If it doesnt last a day.

I understand what you mean about longevity, we all want our devices to go on as long as possible, for most people seeing out 18 and 24 month contracts, but given how much you can feasibly do on a phone, barring a huge change in mobile use in the next two years, does anyone honestly see the Note2 falling short?

Thanks for your reply, I guess you are right, but I'm just that sort of person who would prefer the faster processor even if I don't really notice it. I'll wait until the 29TH since google are supposedly having a press conference-live stream on youtube..... And it's android 5th Birthday so they're releasing 5 new nexus devices.
Probably the LG Optimus Nexus
A couple of new tablets
Maybe a 5 Inch HTC One X 5 Nexus(pretty much same spec as the butterfly)
And possibly a phone from asus/sony/samsung that might be around 4"

I would love to have a nexus phone, those updates, pure android.......and great support. If the HTC One X 5 nexus is a reality, I hope it either has a large battery, or a removable one, also I hope it keeps the micro sd card slot + possibly a better camera. That would be awesome. Just waiting now to see, and then will decide after that date what I'll pick.

I guess the Note 2 will have much better battery since it has a 720p screen + I do like the 5.5" size and the s-pen features. The performance on the HTC will be around 75% more in the benchmarks, not 100% since the resolution increase. If you don't believe me, check out the benchmarks of the s4 pro + the andreo 320 vs the Exynos 4 quad + mail 400. I hope the new 5" display is super efficient though, just like the s4 pro.

Just thought I'd post the link

http://blog.laptopmag.com/googles-oct-29th-playground-is-open-event-what-to-expect
http://androidcommunity.com/htc-nexus-5-rumors-skip-over-lg-20121017/

Last edited:
Caporegime
If the HTC butterfly does come as a nexus over here, it will definitely not have a SD slot:

http://www.androidcentral.com/why-nexus-devices-have-no-sd-card

And camera will most likely stay the same (besides the camera on the S/X is already very good anyway)

The display on the X/XL is very power efficient and lasts much longer when web browsing compared to AMOLED phones.

Personally when it comes to screen tech. I love both IPS and SAMOLED for different areas, but for a phone I rather have SAMOLED due to the vibrant colours, blacks and for games, video/cartoon films :p SAMOLED is better amongst the other stuff that duff-man has pointed out. For my PC desktop I rather have my dell U2311H though :p :D

The main thing I notice with S4 chipset on my S compared to the quad exynos in the GS 3 is the snappiness/instant feel and loading apps, game levels, gallery albums etc. quicker. The exynos quad will still be very good in 2 years time, just look at the GS 2, it still keeps up with the S/X and GS 3 overall.

Also 0.5" might not sound like a big difference but it certainly is when you see it in person! The GS 3 screen dwarfs my one S screen and the difference is also 0.5"

Anyway, you can't really judge battery life yet as they could have optimized the screen even more (and supposedly they have) and optimized the software (this plays a very big part too) to be more power efficient and of course the S4 chipset is very power efficient but only if drivers/software optimization is done right, but as we have seen with sense V4+ on the one S and XLregarding that area, it is already very good!

Last edited:
Associate
My quick thoughts on the Nexus line, 5 keeps being mentioned so I think:

1) Nexus 4 - Possibly LG phone,
2) Nexus 5 - Maybe high end 5" phone?
3) Nexus 7 - Obviously 7" tablet,
4) Nexus 10 - High end 10" tablet,
5) Nexus Q

A line up of 5 Nexus products!

:)

Soldato
Thanks for your reply, I guess you are right, but I'm just that sort of person who would prefer the faster processor even if I don't really notice it. I'll wait until the 29TH since google are supposedly having a press conference-live stream on youtube..... And it's android 5th Birthday so they're releasing 5 new nexus devices.
Probably the LG Optimus Nexus
A couple of new tablets
Maybe a 5 Inch HTC One X 5 Nexus(pretty much same spec as the butterfly)
And possibly a phone from asus/sony/samsung that might be around 4"

I would love to have a nexus phone, those updates, pure android.......and great support. If the HTC One X 5 nexus is a reality, I hope it either has a large battery, or a removable one, also I hope it keeps the micro sd card slot + possibly a better camera. That would be awesome. Just waiting now to see, and then will decide after that date what I'll pick.

I guess the Note 2 will have much better battery since it has a 720p screen + I do like the 5.5" size and the s-pen features. The performance on the HTC will be around 75% more in the benchmarks, not 100% since the resolution increase. If you don't believe me, check out the benchmarks of the s4 pro + the andreo 320 vs the Exynos 4 quad + mail 400. I hope the new 5" display is super efficient though, just like the s4 pro.

Just thought I'd post the link

http://blog.laptopmag.com/googles-oct-29th-playground-is-open-event-what-to-expect
http://androidcommunity.com/htc-nexus-5-rumors-skip-over-lg-20121017/

Again, I'd just cite strange priorities. If you don't really notice it, what advantage is it?

I have no reason to doubt you that the benchmarks would be faster, but still, faster in benchmarks and faster in use are two different animals. If you just want to say your phone is technically superior to the competition then it will fill the purpose nicely, but I don't see how that makes it the better day to day device.

Associate
Hmm, I really hope it does have a micro sd card slot. But if it doesn't I'd expect no less than 32GB storage, 64GB would be perfect. If it only has 16GB, then I'll just have to get the Note 2, might keep it for a couple of years too.

Back
Top Bottom