Have you ever been haunted by a memory?

Soldato
Long story cut short .....

About three months ago I was in hospital on a life support machine for around three days. I had stopped breathing when I was out one night on the peev and was found by a passer by lying somewhere (I have no idea where). He had heard my phone ringing and I'm assuming he took it out of my pocket to answer it. It was my girlfriend who was on the other end looking for me as I hadn't returned home.
As far as I'm aware I had to be resuscitated a couple of times and there was a good chance that if I survived I could end up with brain damage.
I have no memory of anything for the time that I was in the hospital apart from waking up for what only seemed like a couple of seconds and finding tubes in my arms.

I can deal with what happened and I feel extremely lucky to be here but I can't get it out of my head about the guy who saved my life by simply answering my phone. I have no idea who he was or where he lives. When I walk about the town center I'm always wondering if it was the guy at the bus stop or the guy crossing the road. Would he recognise me again? Does he even know that he saved my life?
I've often thought about trying to find out who he was by contacting the hospital or the police but I wonder if I could actually handle knowing him (if that makes sense).

A part of me is thinking that I'll never be able to stop thinking about it even if I did find out who he was. :(

Soldato
OP
First, have you spoken to a professional?

You could start a Facebook page looking for this kind stranger, check with hospital to see if he left his details perhaps?

Yeah I have spoken to a professional about it Raymond. It's not as if it keeps me awake at night or anything, I reckon I would just turn into a big blubbering mess if I met him face to face :o

A part of me thinks that it's best not knowing the details of that night and another part thinks that it would offer some kind of closure on the whole thing. :)

Mat

Mat

Soldato
I would definitely want to find out who it was so I could thank him personally! No question about it!

Associate
Up until about 4 or 5 years after my Dad passed away I had a memory that "haunted" me. It was a matter or hours before he died and he was lying in the bed at the hospice and my Mum was dampening his mouth with something the nurse gave her. I can remember him trying to say "help me" but it was very quiet and croaky sounding, I hate to think what was going through his mind at that time.

It has just passed 9 years since he died and thankfully this thought no longer enters my thoughts on a regular basis.

Nothing as serious as the OP but I ended up in hospital via ambulance many years ago due to a drug 'episode' and got thrown out (not violent, just told I wasn't allowed to wait until morning on the hospital grounds), I had no money, no phone, and just shoes, jeans, and a thin t-shirt, out on the streets in the middle of night, freezing cold, raining down cats dogs I wondered the streets looking for shelter, I curled up in a shop dooryway arms tucked inside my t-shirt, next thing I knew I got woken up in the morning by a man placing £5 in my hand saying "buy some food", seriously, I don't think that man could ever know how important that £5 meant to me at the time, that bought me a bus ticket home which was 20 miles away.

To add to that that bus I grabbed to get home was also a 'school run' bus, an old western national double decker, it was so full of kids that we all had to exit the bus so it could make it up a steep hill on the way home, completely out of my head I was asked to guide the kids safety up the hill on the verge and get back on the bus at the top, that was seriously a crazy 24 hours of my life.

If I could meet that than man who thought I was homeless and gave me that fiver I would hug him and buy him a very nice gift.

Don
I can remember the last time I saw my grandad the day that he died, he said goodbye to me with a look I will never forget, didnt think too much about it at the time, but now I just wish that I have spent more time in the morning with him, but I was too busy and late, regret that so much...

Stelly

Last edited:
Don
I would definitely want to find out who it was so I could thank him personally! No question about it!

This.

You're tracking him down for a good reason, I'd imagine he's probably feeling worse than you are, worrying if you're still alive!

I'd want to thank him in person

Soldato
OP
I think I have to track him down after reading some of the replies on here. I guess I'm trying to cover everything up with smoke and mirrors. Just thinking about it gives me the shivers.

When I told my doctor about this he said that someone was looking out for me that night. He's not a spiritual person but didn't rule out that everything happens for a reason. He told me that there must be a reason as to why I'm still here and to make the most of it :D

Back
Top Bottom