Just got a shock from the mains...

Soldato
A proper bolt sends you into a sort of shock. It's a horrible feeling. Last serious one I had kept me quiet and withdrawn for a few days.

Man of Honour
I touched a 13 amp fuse once when I plugged the plug into a socket. Was probably 12 (LOL, Hi I'm 12 and what is this springs to mind :D).

Anyway, the feeling was quite weird, I remember it, there was no pain - just a sudden few seconds of intense buzzing flowing through my arm and once I let go I stood there for a few seconds wondering what just happened :confused:

Man of Honour
I was once thrown across the kitchen by an electric shock. It wasn't pleasant but I'm still alive so I'm sure you'll be fine :)

wnb

wnb

Soldato
I once got a shock from a PSU, man that hurt it basically made me do a star jump. Ended up with a bit of whip lash.

Soldato
At work at got a shock from a kettle lead going to one of the monitors in our ICT suite due to one of the lovely kids cutting through it with a ruler.

Was a nasty jolt and had black marks my hand, I think from the melted rubber but all was fine 5-10mins later.

Permabanned
AC tends to throw you off.

No it doesn't.
AC is more likely to freeze your muscles, DC is more likely to jolt your hand away. You are far more likely to die from AC.

I've been frozen for a few seconds with AC (horrible experience) and had multiple shocks from 10Kv (just painful but OK)

Last edited:
Associate
No it doesn't, stop posting if you don't know what you are talking about.
AC is more likely to freeze your muscles, DC is more likely to jolt your hand away. You are far more likely to die from AC.

I've been frozen for a few seconds with AC (horrible experience) and had multiple shocks from 10Kv (just painful but OK)

I got told at school that an ac current will pulse your muscles due to it constantly alternating, where as dc will cause your muscles to be in one place due to it being constant.

Hmm anyone have a definitive answer?

Man of Honour
[Darkend]Viper;23014346 said:
I got told at school that an ac current will pulse your muscles due to it constantly alternating, where as dc will cause your muscles to be in one place due to it being constant.

Hmm anyone have a definitive answer?

I'm pretty sure you are correct rather than bitslice.

Soldato
No it doesn't.

DC is much more dangerous than AC under circumstances.

AC has a higher risk of stopping your heart than DC though.

If both have high enough current etc, doesn't matter which it is, your dead.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I'm pretty sure you are correct rather than bitslice.
As I've experienced both effects then I'm going by my exposure to HV and AC circuits.

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/chpt_3/2.html
How AC affects the body depends largely on frequency. Low-frequency (50- to 60-Hz) AC is used in US (60 Hz) and European (50 Hz) households; it can be more dangerous than high-frequency AC and is 3 to 5 times more dangerous than DC of the same voltage and amperage. Low-frequency AC produces extended muscle contraction (tetany), which may freeze the hand to the current's source, prolonging exposure. DC is most likely to cause a single convulsive contraction, which often forces the victim away from the current's source.

Technically if you were to grasp a DC line then your hand would contract onto it, however in practice you are more likely to be touching it with a finger or probe, in which case you would be jolted back a few feet.
Equally sometimes you get jolted by AC, but if your body is balanced when you touch it, it is just as likely that you be frozen to the spot and your finger remains touching the wire.

Most people's accidental contact with electricity will be exposed contacts poked at with a screwdriver, nobody is going to casually grasp a high voltage DC line with their hand unless this is some industrial plant or something.

Back
Top Bottom