Power Supply - Please Help! (Quick Question)

Associate
Hi all

I'm about to install a new PSU as I need more power.

I've taken some photographs of the inside of the PC to see what goes where, and I'm pretty sure that the PSU is only connected to the mobo in two places: the 24 Pin ATX port and the 8 Pin 12v port (although the connector only has 4 pins).

Does this sound correct, just the two wires?

There is also F_Panel and F_Audio - Are these front panel and front audio?
If so, I take it I leave these. Is that correct?

Any help would be wonderful!

Best

AD

Associate
Yes - almost.

You will have those two main cables to the motherboard. You may have a cable to your graphics card. (Only if graphics card is posh and expensive). You will have cables to your hard disk and DVD writer.

Main key - count the number of cables you unplug, and make sure you plug just as many cables back in. :)

You have done it the correct way - photographs help to take away the guess work. Identify all of the cables on the new PSU before you plug it in. That also allows you a bit of planning as to which cables reach where, and where to tidy away the spares.

As to those front panel cables - yes, you have probably got those right. Best to leave those alone if you are not sure and everything is working. Sounds to me like these are the headphone socket on the front of your case.

Associate
Also:
If your motherboard has a 8 pin socket, but your PSU only has a 4pin, you might want to get a 4pin to 8pin extension cable.....it will improve board stability and they are cheap enough to get....

Back
Top Bottom