The PCB is ~£75+VAT
Gas valve ~£105+VAT

Same parts for the Vailliant ecotec plus 824 are

pcb ~£157
fan ~£160
gas valve ~£133

Rough guide...

Associate
Worcester/Bosch - fantastic after sales service - had a problem with ours (which is many years old, not long back) mate of mine who is a British Gas Installer told me that it would cost a fortune for them to repair but to ring Worcester up and they have a fixed price cost of £150 and will replace up to 3 parts (irrespective of the cost of those parts)

Rang and came next day replaced 3 main parts and boiler back to normal. Would defiantly buy another without question, in fact my mate said that because he does the annual service on it each year if anyone asks him what boiler he would recommend it is always Bosch.

HTH

Soldato
Regular flushing of the system should not be required if it's water tight and has had an inhibitor injected. Anyone telling you that is simply selling you snake oil, much like anual services are not really necessary just a nice earner for the gas man to come out and spend 20 minutes doing very little.

Associate
I bought an ATAG, it's been great.

Very good warranty (parts and labour covered) and you don't have to get them installed by an "approved" fitter.

My plumber was very impressed with it and he fits Bosch's all day long

Soldato
OP
Gah lol still not 100% sure. I was leaning towards the bosch because of the great customer service. But then the guy doing it is an approved fitter for Vaillant so maybe thinking about the Vaillant.

My place only has 7 rads and is a mid terraced 3 bed. The old Ariston is a 23kw with a flow rate of around 12 (this is what the other plumbers I had in said after measuring it from the tap anyway). Hence why I was a little unsure about going for the Vaillant at flow rate of 9.

Daff Duck the problem you had with your bosch was this when it was out of warranty? As this would probably sway me if they did that out of warranty.

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
Regular flushing of the system should not be required if it's water tight and has had an inhibitor injected. Anyone telling you that is simply selling you snake oil, much like anual services are not really necessary just a nice earner for the gas man to come out and spend 20 minutes doing very little.

If the system has been treated right from the get go, then yes you dont need to flush every year, i'd still flush everytime i'd replace the inhibitor, its just good practise.Prevention is better than cure imo.

Associate
Our 32 year old Thorn EMI Olympic 38/50B is still going strong but the missus says we need to replace it. We have the hot water tank setup with immersion switch.

What's the best Vaillant or Bosch model to replace it with? Our pipes are all sludged-up and the water is black (probably never been flushed), it's a bit noisey as well. Will the radiators be ok to keep?

Soldato
Our 32 year old Thorn EMI Olympic 38/50B is still going strong but the missus says we need to replace it. We have the hot water tank setup with immersion switch.

What's the best Vaillant or Bosch model to replace it with? Our pipes are all sludged-up and the water is black (probably never been flushed), it's a bit noisey as well. Will the radiators be ok to keep?

When I installed my new boiler I replaced all the pipes and radiators at the same time.
Out of interest why are you replacing it? Old boilers have a lot fewer parts so less to go wrong, obviously they're not as efficient though.

Associate
Usual story, every year it's serviced, engineer huffs & puffs - oh parts are getting rare for this one blah blah. This time it was you are wasting £35 out of every £100 you spend on gas!

Efficiency, parts & noise are the key reasons. Don't know if I can face replacing all the pipes & rads as well :eek:

We've also been told that flushing the system would probably break the whole thing. Personally, I thing this is a job people don't like to do.

Soldato
bosch worcester 24i junior greenstar is what I just had installed in my flat I rent out, heating said Vaillant are easier to work on?

The Bosch did a sterling job on heating the rads (also new) quickly and the water was always hot within seconds, not noisy at all

Soldato
If you can afford a Vaillant then go for one of those, you will not regret it. Have it fitted by someone approved to get your 5year warranty. Their models through the range will give 9.4l/min to 15.2l/min flow at Δ35C

If you cannot afford a Vaillant then go for a Worcester Bosch, an approved fitter can fit one suitable to YOUR needs with 7yrs warranty. (We fit a lot at the moment because of this!).

Only on CDI and SI range,

I'd go for a viessmann better than both boilers IMO

Hahahahaha...Yeah whatever, have you seen how badly they are designed! I went to Viessmann, so we could become approved fitters, for their 5yr warranty. Spent most of the day with the other guys taking the pee out of the various design flaws in their boilers.... Ive been repairing boilers for 15yrs and they would certainly not be in my top 10 of boiler choices... Just because you havent had any problems with yours, doesnt make it a good boiler!

AFK_Matrix

I cant imagine a 23KW Ariston, would ever come near 12l/min....Not unless the temp increase was down at 25-30C!

Just my opinion :)

Mick

Associate
I've had 2 quotes from 2 boiler companies recently, do these prices sound ok? The prices are to replace my current boiler with a new one. I've also added British Gas which I won't be using.

British Gas - worcester bosch 30si (£2800)
Company B - worcester bosch 30si (£1600)
Company C - worcester bosch 28ij (£1850) / worcester bosch 29cdi (£2100)

Back
Top Bottom