Car doesn't quite feel right

Soldato
I've noticed my car feels like it's occasionally holding back when accelerating and a tad jumpy. Could this be a fuel blockage? Alternatively, could it be the turbo? If the turbo was on its way out and decided to suddenly conk out on me, will the car still function as a normal diesel car, ie, I can still drive it? My feeling is it's more of a fuel blockage, or perhaps to do with the glow plugs? It's a peugeot 307 HDi turbo diesel 2 litre. I've also been riding the clutch a bit. Could that make the clutch not release fully and affect the gears not being fully engaged?

edit: I just gave it a run around the block having let the engine go cold for an hour and a half and it seems fine. Maybe I'm imagining it or maybe it's when the engine gets warm.

Last edited:
Soldato
When turbos go they tend to whine, burn oil and chuck a load of it out the back so if you've none of that its unlikely. What's more likely is a sensor / boost leak or inlet valve control etc - if it keeps doing it stick a code reader on it, if that comes up with nothing check all pipes etc.

Soldato
Get the EGR valve checked, it's probably beginning to clog up.
If you leave it too long you'll have a nice "depollution system faulty" warning message come up on the centre console. :D

You might get away with using a special decarbonising spray that you blow in the intake while it's running but this only does half a job really.

Other than that, if you haven't serviced it regularly it could be as simple as a bit of water getting sucked up from the bottom of the fuel filter.

Last edited:
Soldato
Does it have a Diesel Particle Filter? I get very similar symptoms to this when my car (a diesel BMW) is doing a DPF regeneration. This would also explain why it only happens when warm, as DPF regen only happens when the car reaches operating temperature.

You could try taking it on a long motorway run and see if it helps.

Soldato
If the revs bounce, and the car feels jerky when under a constant load, I reckon it could be things like a dirty maf sensor misreading air flow, dirty throttle body. Or it could be things like a vacuum leak in your inlet manifold somewhere, or a boost leak.

Do you hear a noticable whooshing noise when the turbo boost comes in? Is the rpm steady at idle?

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the input guys, lots to consider. Nope, not noticed any noises. It's extremely minor and occasional at the moment, but could be any of the things suggested, perhaps even a fuel filter? Hoping it's not fuel pump. It's serviced regularly. As far as riding the clutch, I never used to, but for some reason have been doing it recently and I'm making a conscious effort not to now. I'll try the clutch thing in 5th.

Soldato
I would start with a good quality in tank diesel treatment (forte etc.), replace the air and fuel filters, carry out a oil and filter with engine flush and treatment followed by a spirited drive.

If that doesn't help get it on a diagnostics machine.

Also stop riding the clutch you wont like the bill.

Soldato
OP
Had a right bloody scare this morning on my way to work. Half way through my journey the engine icon came on and stayed on my dashboard. :(
I was like, no way, this is no time for the engine to **** up on me. Feeling stressed, I pulled over and wondered if I should turn the engine off, but what if it didn't start again. There were no symptoms showing other than it doing what I described yesterday, but that was hardly at all. So I carried on. Then I came to one of those police gatherings where they pull you over to do routine checks. Great time to delay people, on their way to work instead of in the evening :rolleyes:

I said I daren't turn the engine off and the copper said it's ok to leave it running. Kept me waiting a few minutes then let me go. Got to work ok, an hour early, phew! Lucky I gave myself enough time. On my way home, no engine icon, but still some stuttering, more noticeable in 2nd and 3rd. I rang my mechanic and should be driving over to him later and he's got diagnostics equipment. I wonder what the hell is going on with the engine icon and the stuttering.

Soldato
You're worrying over what's probably nothing - all that light means is an engine management issue, could be somethign like a sensor or even emissions (egr) related. You already know something isn't quite right so i'd avoid driving it particularly long distances but otherwise just get hte code read and take it from there.

Soldato
OP
Yeah, I think my mechanic mentioned about finding a fault code. I hope I am worrying over nothing, because I have three gigs this weekend and need the car to be reliable (as it's always been to be honest). It's just that when I see an engine management light, I always fear it's something serious.

Soldato
OP
Best case it only costs you the labour to clean out and gaskets to fix, probably less than 50 quid

Well unfortunately, my mechanic couldn't pull a fault code from my car. He plugged in several different portable machines into a socket under the steering wheel and none of them got a working link. One started scanning but never got past 5%.
I'll have to take it to a garage tomorrow to get them to try and get a fault code. I think it's about £80 just to do that.

Back
Top Bottom