Purple shirt insurance is an absolute joke.

Permabanned
OP
Well any files you didn't back up are gone so there's nothing you can do there, your gf can use uni computers and if you need a laptop to DJ then you've got to think of a way of getting the cash together or put it on the back burner.

I can't put it on the back burner. I've explained to people before, that if I stop now there is no chance I'll be able to continue. It's the one thing in my life that I have been able to do well, and there is more chance of the world being square than me giving that up.

It's just a ridiculous situation. If some **** hadn't stolen it, then I wouldn't be having this problem. As I said, they didn't steal the charger with it. What's the ****ing point.

Permabanned
OP
I'm guessing you didn't do this then...

'You can choose to add cover for individual items such as laptops, mp3 players, bicycles and mobile phones, even when taken outside your home.'

If so then it's a bit naive and you're going to have to suck it up and make do 'till you can buy again. There isn't much else you can do apart from hope the Police can recover it, however if that's looking unlikely then you've just got to find work arounds.

It was the student policy, for 12 pounds a month.

Soldato
Yes, I'm aware that I'm an idiot, and can't prepare very well for stuff.

I just don't know what to do. I've never been in this situation, and I feel like a rabbit in headlights.

That's why we're here. We'll help! Stop assuming that she needs a laptop - she doesn't.
As for the documents and any other files, if they aren't backed up then they're gone. Nothing you can do about that, so stop worrying.

Now, how are we going to replace it all? Well, you need to get some money together. Let's think of the easiest way to get money (legally). Your university will have a hardship fund, I guarantee it. Go to Student Services and enquire about it. At Strathclyde, we filled out a form detailing why we need the money and what we are going to do with it. They'll then make a decision and likely give you some of it, if not all.

What about getting a job? Get regular income, get a student credit card, buy a £500 laptop and make sure you meet the minimum payments each month. OcUK will flame me for this, but you're a student. Debt is part of the game. ;)

Man of Honour
I can't put it on the back burner. I've explained to people before, that if I stop now there is no chance I'll be able to continue. It's the one thing in my life that I have been able to do well, and there is more chance of the world being square than me giving that up.

It's just a ridiculous situation. If some **** hadn't stolen it, then I wouldn't be having this problem. As I said, they didn't steal the charger with it. What's the ****ing point.

Then you've got to find a way of getting some cash together, get a job or a 2nd job or whatever, or a credit card or a loan or see if your parents can help you out.
Also chargers can be picked up for next to nothing, they grabbed the bit that was worth something.

Soldato
It was the student policy, for 12 pounds a month.

That's taken from the Student Policy page, where it explains the features of the insurance and what you can do with the policy, or add to the policy.

One of which is choose to insure individual items outside of the home and if the DJing is important then you should have realised that lugging about an important laptop which aids you in that regard, that it would have been a good idea to have it insured.

Unfortunately you are now in a situation where all you can do is accept what has happened and move forward, attempting to find a work around where possible.

Other than that there isn't anything you can do, really. It is unfortunate and pants that someone nicked it but it happens.

Permabanned
OP
That's why we're here. We'll help! Stop assuming that she needs a laptop - she doesn't.
As for the documents and any other files, if they aren't backed up then they're gone. Nothing you can do about that, so stop worrying.

Now, how are we going to replace it all? Well, you need to get some money together. Let's think of the easiest way to get money (legally). Your university will have a hardship fund, I guarantee it. Go to Student Services and enquire about it. At Strathclyde, we filled out a form detailing why we need the money and what we are going to do with it. They'll then make a decision and likely give you some of it, if not all.

What about getting a job?

There is an access to learning fund, I'll ask about it tomorrow.

I have a job, but it's not enough money to be able to replace a laptop anytime soon.

Thanks for your help mate.

Then you've got to find a way of getting some cash together, get a job or a 2nd job or whatever, or a credit card or a loan or see if your parents can help you out.
Also chargers can be picked up for next to nothing, they grabbed the bit that was worth something.

I don't have time for a second job, I tried that last year and failed the year because I couldn't cope with the workload I was under. Credit card and loan are out of the picture. My mum is on less money than I am, struggling to live in Norwich because my **** of a stepdad took 25k that he in no way deserved off her. My dad is unlikely to help me out because I hardly talk to him.

Associate
I fail to see how the retailer are to blame for a stolen laptop, their insurance doesn't cover theft, so what, it's surely the responsibility of the owner to make sure they are covered for any eventualities. If you'd been misled I would sympathise, however you weren't

As for all the 'Purple Shirt Brigade' are rubbish comments, do Overclockers operate an advice line for customers that is open 365 days of the year, which will guide your silver surfer grandparents how to setup Skype or install a wifi printer? They fulfill a need in the market, get over it.

Man of Honour
There wont be a great deal around at this time of year but if you need quick relatively easy cash get in touch with some local security companies and see if they need stewards for any events it's long hours but you cram it into a couple of days and the pays not terrible.
I made an easy £300 last weekend at an event, it wasn't the most fun I've ever had over a weekend but thats a weeks wages in your back pocket.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Nope. Apparently one of them had been twitter fraped or something, and the other one had just heard a rumour about it so posted up. They are now tracking a 3rd guy.

I think the other 2 are lying but what can I do?

The laptop has basically gone, we can't afford another, which leaves Jenny without anything to do her work on, and leaves me without anything to DJ with. All because some people can't get their own so they steal someone else's.

This is what you get for not sorting it out when you had the chance.

Sorry if people don't agree, but for me, if I knew for definite who had taken it, I would be round there in a flash.

Either that or be out of pocket for a grand, or however much it was. Not a tough choice really.

Permabanned
OP
There wont be a great deal around at this time of year but if you need quick relatively quick cash get in touch with some local security companies and see if they need stewards for any events it's long hours but you cram it into a couple of days and the pays not terrible.
I made an easy £300 last weekend at an event, it wasn't the most fun I've ever had over a weekend but thats a weeks wages in your back pocket.

I'll have a look round, thanks.

This is what you get for not sorting it out when you had the chance.

Sorry if people don't agree, but for me, if I knew for definite who had taken it, I would be round there in a flash.

Either that or be out of pocket for a grand, or however much it was. Not a tough choice really.

As I said, I'll likely be arrested if I sort it out myself.

How's your PC looking spec wise? Could always take the hit, get a netbook like a Sammy N150 Plus, nice and small netbook, easy enough to carry around.

i5 2500k, Maximus 4 gene-z, a few hard drives with stuff like samples for music. I wouldn't be able to raise enough to get a laptop.

Associate
I'm rather confused. What is the issue with the charger? Why would they need to steal it, surely they could just buy one from the bay? Why is a second hand cheapo useable laptop so bad? I'm sure you could pick one up for £100 easy that would do the job for the time being, if one is absolutely necessary.

Permabanned
OP
I'm rather confused. What is the issue with the charger? Why would they need to steal it, surely they could just buy one from the bay? Why is a second hand cheapo useable laptop so bad? I'm sure you could pick one up for £100 easy that would do the job for the time being, if one is absolutely necessary.

We can't afford a second cheapo laptop.

Back
Top Bottom