Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Guys, can you give me any tips on new wheels for my CX bike?

Mine have gone out of true already and I've had the bike about 2mths (15st of awesomeness bouncing over potholes...).

I'm not going to buy straight away, because I'll give it a couple of re-truing cycles first and get some wear out of the hubs but eventually I'll be after some decent ones. My current set are 24 spoke front and 32 spoke rear, DT Axis 1.0. I'm running 32mm tyres at the mo and don't see me changing that much unless it's for narrower ones if I know I'm doing a race on pristine tarmac or something.

Obviously lighter ones would be better but I value strength over weight.

Caporegime
Im a bit thick here, those lenses look cool

i wear Glasses (tried contacts and i hated them) so what are they exactly? A while ago i was looking for sunglasses that people wear when they cycle but i cant wear any :(

I have, amongst my several pairs of glasses/sunglasses (being married to an optician has its perks :p) a rather lovely pair of Uvex glasses, with reactive lenses that are hydrophobic and anti-reflection coated. I won't mention what they cost but you don't need to go uber expensive. Why can't you wear them?

Soldato
Im a bit thick here, those lenses look cool

i wear Glasses (tried contacts and i hated them) so what are they exactly? A while ago i was looking for sunglasses that people wear when they cycle but i cant wear any :(

How do you mean you can't wear any? I never cycle without eye protection now, it's just not worth the risk of losing an eye from some debris flying up.

Since I don't want to use contacts and I cannot afford laser eye surgery the cheapest option was Rx inserts which you can see on the top of the case in my photo. The much more expensive option is where they directly glaze the lens with your prescription, but I don't think the inserts are that bad.

There are cheaper options for the actual glasses, but the Vortex lens is photochromatic, hydrophobic, anti-reflective and anti-scratch.

Soldato
These would let you see at your prescription while protecting your eyes from debris and sunlight.

I went for the photochromatic lens so I didn't have to worry about switching lenses for different conditions. These lighten or darken depending on the amount of light so they work well in cloudy/dull light right up to very sunny. At night I'd use the completely clear lens though.

The Rx insert does have a bit of fisheye effect going on due to them being more curved than normal glasses, but it's not really a problem compared to not being able to see very far at all without them.

Associate
Could you not get some of the sports over glasses to wear, I know a few guys who I play basketball with have these. In the winter I'd have clear lenses over sunglasses as they don't make it look more dreary lol

Caporegime
Well, that was disappointing. Set off for a ride and got about 2 minutes from home when I realised the back tyre was flat. Walked the bike home and took the wheel off and checked it all. No sign of anything in the tyre or tube and the tube was staying up when I pumped it up. I think it's the valve that's a bit wonky and knackered, rather than the tube, so I may have to replace it anyway. I've put it all back together and I'll see how it is tomorrow.

Still, it's all good practise. I've not changed a tube in years and not done one on that bike at all, so probably worth having a go at home rather than my first time being by the roadside in the pouring rain 10 miles from home.

And yes, it'll also teach me to give the tyres a proper check before setting off in the future!

Soldato
Don't know if they're any good, but it's £335 here:
http://www.freeborn.co.uk/elite-qubo-wireless-digital-trainer

Just had a chat with my Step Dad (about turbo trainers) who is a professional swimming coach and has family members who are keen cyclists are and some of which are proffesionals (retired now) and he said to me the best thing to do first is try out rollers and the fixed ones, but he seems to think the rollers are much better becuase they are true to road and will give you more confidence and balance and teqnique

so the first thing i will do now is try and find a shop that will let me try out both, ive emailed the shop where i got my bike from as I think they probabally will.

and when i do get one, hes going to help me with my training, cant wait!

Ah, I paid £180 IIRC a couple of months ago - but this was more trade price. I was looking at the rollers but went for the trainer out of ease and comfort really. Takes a few seconds to clip it in and can get going - handy to keep the bike stored in the garage too :p

I also want it for fitness more than anything, so don't wanna be worrying about falling on my face while using the rollers :D

Underboss
Ah, I paid £180 IIRC a couple of months ago - but this was more trade price. I was looking at the rollers but went for the trainer out of ease and comfort really. Takes a few seconds to clip it in and can get going - handy to keep the bike stored in the garage too :p

I also want it for fitness more than anything, so don't wanna be worrying about falling on my face while using the rollers :D

i thought about falling off, but you will soon get ued them !

but i havent got the luxery(spelling?) as i have to lock up thhe bike outside the shed every night and put the tainer in the bedroom, also id have to keep changing the skewer, but i thought about getting another wheel but i dont want to keep adjusting the deralier all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom