Microsoft Surface RT Priced

Soldato
Well MS have started the advertising blitz today, A giant surface advert all over the front and back of the Metro this morning.

With regards to the unavailability of the surface other than from Ms themselves. I've always assumed this is more of a spec tablet rather than the tablet expected to sell the most, rather like the first two Nexus phones that were only available direct from Google.

"Look how cool the Surface is! But don't buy one. Buy this PoS Acer instead please :)"

How could that fail to work :p TBH I think the Surface is going to do a lot better than Nexus handsets do. Microsoft have almost made it too good, while Nexus handsets are always crippled in some way (usually storage).

Soldato
Look what just Surfaced!

WP_000361.jpg

Soldato
The whole process has been kind of shabby to be honest. I hope lessons are learned. If they want to compete with Apple then they need to improve.

That said, for all we know demand has completely outstripped supply and to be fair they have given us a decent goodwill gesture. It's just the uncertainty we could do without.

Man of Honour
I received mine today, no shipping email, and looking on the Microsoft account it still says 02/11 and in process xD Not going to complain though :p

Now get it booted up, get the updates added and tell us how it handles flash videos and office. As these two have been the concern of lag.

Soldato
Not really, just that quick typers in office had fairly bag lag and that flash videos lagged realy badly.

Maybe try youtube and find a HD flash video.

Just sat and typed a page of gibberish as fast as I could hit the keyboard and no noticeable lag.

Skyfall trailer on YouTube in 1080p had one barely noticeable stutter during a fast tracking shot and was fine in 720p.

Man of Honour
Good news. Wonder if it was updates. Or if certain reviewers were trying to make it lag on purpose.
One of the reviewers had a flash video literally jittering ever other frame.

How you finding it in general?
Did you own ipad or android tablet before? To get a feel of the comparison.

Associate
I just left the Microsoft event tonight.

Windows phone 8 looks fantastic in particular the 920.

But they had ONE surface there. ONE.

It felt fantastic and that touch cover was awesome. You can type with it.

It requires no pressure to type as its touch but that does take about ten seconds to compensate for.

Soldato
Good news. Wonder if it was updates. Or if certain reviewers were trying to make it lag on purpose.
One of the reviewers had a flash video literally jittering ever other frame.

How you finding it in general?
Did you own ipad or android tablet before? To get a feel of the comparison.

I have a Asus TF101 with keyboard dock, Nexus 7 & iPad2 that I use on a regular basis and have tried using the iPad2 & TF101 as laptop replacements with mixed success, they're fine for a bit of email, web browsing, games etc but fall down when it comes to proper work. I've not tried yet but I can see the Surface replacing my laptop when I travel for work.

The Nexus 7 is a completely different form factor and I really like it but use it for totally different things.

I am genuinely impressed with the Surface, it offers an excellent tablet experience in Modern UI and a good work experience (from what I've seen so far) in Desktop mode.

Associate
Got all excited when i saw a shipping email, turns out they have shipped my free copy Windows 8 that i bought with the voucher for late delivery, that's irony for you

Associate
Anandtech's review seems most accurate.

Office is fine once patched to RTM, though you do have to go through the legacy Windows Update. Video playback has been good.

As said in reviews the power connector can be a bit hit and miss.

The touch cover is excellent for what it is, yep you wouldn't want to write a book on it, but it's a lot better than most of the critics are making out.

Just needs to get the decent apps out now.

All in all very happy with it, and just as expected.

Back
Top Bottom