Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I know it's been asked on here a bit, but could someone link me to a good rear bike light I could clip to my saddle bag?

I use a Smart R1 Lunar;

8136527049_e8fc583538_c.jpg

Yeah, but I want MOAR!! Plus, I mix it with milk anyway..

Chocolate milkshake!!

Soldato
Anyone, ahem, got any actually suggestions? My torq recovery stuff has just ran out, but it was expensive and tasted foul, I'm just after a carb/protein drink I can use when I haven't got time to make proper food after exercise..

Soldato
What a day! Had a crap start to my Monday morning at work then on the way to Glasgow I decided to hit a pothole at 25mph-ish in the dark. Nearly snapped my wrists and blew out both tubes.

Rear wheel has a massive bend to the braking surface but managed to get going again with about 40psi in the tyres. Then after following a chap on a mtb with a alfine hub(he could shift like **** on it!) my back one went again in the city centre.

Train home and MTB to work tomorrow :(. Never ending money pit this biking chat.

Soldato
[DOD]Asprilla;23061908 said:
Recovery Drink

It hydrates better than water and even has minor pain relieving qualities.

Haha, i dont know if you're joking or not, but i remember reading a research paper once that suggests beer is actually a very good recovery drink (but any more than 1 bottle and it has the opposite effect)

Soldato
[DOD]Asprilla;23061928 said:
You need to keep them in pairs, otherwise they get depressed and throw themselves under traffic.

Good lights, poor mount.

Most folks swear by the Smart 1/2 watt ones.

I've never had any problems but have heard of others having those problems - is the issue with the seat post mount rather than the clip on the light itself? Mine just clips onto the saddlebag (much like Shimmyhill's photo).

Man of Honour
Anyone, ahem, got any actually suggestions? My torq recovery stuff has just ran out, but it was expensive and tasted foul, I'm just after a carb/protein drink I can use when I haven't got time to make proper food after exercise..

There was a documentary on the other week about sports food myths where the 'Flying Scotsman' Graeme Obree gave his secret out of what he eat during his training.
I forgot what he had but it was something like a lemon curd sandwich,

Soldato
Maybe I'll just have some pre-cooked standby meat and caked instead, sounds much nicer! I don't need it as much as I did when I was doing properly long rides, but it'd be nice to have some in for when I crawl through the door on a Sunday morning after killing myself on some local hills..

This looks pretty good actually - http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/sports-nutrition-recovery-drink-recipe-41261

Last edited:
Associate
I only ever use recovery drinks after a big sportive where I'm absolutely knackered.

After my Sunday spin I generally just have a good meal with some carbs to replenish the energy levels.... and maybe some cake!

When you're on the road make sure you're getting a bit of energy into you along the way. If you wait till you're hungry then it's too late. Personally I like the Nature Valley bars - easy to eat on the move.

Soldato

Just buy some whey protein, (50 quid for 5kg from myprotein) and some dextrose and your be set for about a year mate!

Soldato
Also, im ordering a new frame online, my Canyon and Boardman are both Medium, im not sure what size that is tho? 49/52/54/56/58/61cm? also, this is a china frame and im not sure what bb to go for, they are if i want english bb or a bb30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom