Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
this. the best you can get is £140 i believe atm once cashback has been issued.

Better than the 200+ I paid, without cashback...:mad: But hey it's Brazil after all...

Got mine stacked up with, 8GB non-ecc (for now) 2 x 1TB WD-green, 1 Seagate 250GB and a geforce 8400...

This things is deadly silent, I only know it's on because of the lovely blue light that pierces my eyes when I sleep :D

Last edited:
Associate
Anyone using Serviio?

My system does not go into hibernate (my settings are to spin down disks after 15 minutes, hibernate after 30) when Serviio is running even when I am not streaming anything, and I have configured Serviio to not search for anything over the internet. Any workaround for this?

Associate
Anyone using Serviio?

My system does not go into hibernate (my settings are to spin down disks after 15 minutes, hibernate after 30) when Serviio is running even when I am not streaming anything, and I have configured Serviio to not search for anything over the internet. Any workaround for this?

I'm running Serviio under WHS 2011 :)

Does hibernate work okay when Serviio isn't running? If not check the gfx drivers are installed okay as they can prevent hibernation.

If it does work, have a look at the library update timer - iirc by default it's set to scan for changes every 5 mins, so chances are it'll almost always be scanning. I set my interval to 60 mins.

NB: I'm also using the Lights-Out add-in to manage hibernation when the server isn't 'needed'.

Soldato
you can put 3tb drives into the system yes.

I have done a bit of research and found that windows 7 + seatools will make them usable. How do i go about raiding them though? Will the hardware raid built into the N40L be able to recognise them after they've been formatted or will i need to rely on some form of software solution?

I've never used raid before, ever, so this is very much new ground to me.

Soldato
its all in the bios and then in the screen after you have enabled raid still in pre- os boot. its really simple.

you cant have them as boot btw.

Ah ok, i did enable Raid in the Bios when i first set up the server. So it should just be able to raid up the two 3tb drives without issue as i'm using the pre installed 250gb drive as the OS drive.

Cheers.

Associate
I'm running Serviio under WHS 2011 :)

Does hibernate work okay when Serviio isn't running? If not check the gfx drivers are installed okay as they can prevent hibernation.

If it does work, have a look at the library update timer - iirc by default it's set to scan for changes every 5 mins, so chances are it'll almost always be scanning. I set my interval to 60 mins.

NB: I'm also using the Lights-Out add-in to manage hibernation when the server isn't 'needed'.

Thanks for your reply, managed to fix it by exiting the console :D I have mine set to not update/search for anything automatically as I'm only using it to stream to my TV. Some files stutter during playback so may just add a graphics card and install xbmc/mediaportal and run a hdmi cable to the tv instead

Associate
Any ideas how to get the smart data working on them? I cant seem to get mine to work for my hard drives.
(Hard Disk Sentinel)
34hwiev.png

Associate
Haha it's all good! Ubuntu's all loaded up and working - then hit a brick wall...my wireless dongle has died! Guess I'll have to hardwire it for now! Planning on using it as a PC for a little while whilst I get everything on there done - then I'll be converting it to a server as it's intended to be :)

Soldato
Not sure on the best way to organise mine...

Looking at using it as a Desktop/NAS/HTPC simultaneously...

Key points are having access to all media on my Samsung 32" & 46" TV's via WIFI (for now - will hard wire CAT 5/6 later)

Currently got two 1TB WD-greens in non-RAID but I guess to Raid them I need to have one or both empty??? to mirror them, if so then I may wait untill I have two more and do raid 0+1 if I can...

Also can Windows run from a USB pendrive?

I need sound and that is where I'm a little lost, do I get a USB sound box or pci-e?
and I'm thinking of putting a USB WIFI 300mb dongo to go with a new router... thinking along the lines of the Cisco-Linksys E2500 or E3200, USB is appealinng but the price is not plus I'm not sure if it's worth going Gbit just yet, as nothing else will be cabled and the router will be WIFI bridging to my crappy Motorola cable modem....

So many things to think of. I may even start a new thread....

Associate
Hi guys. I have a problem that I'm guessing others here are likely to have encountered.

I connected an external USB drive to my MicroServer the other day. The next time I restarted the machine, it failed to boot. When I connected my monitor, I could see that it was failing to find a boot drive. So I went into the BIOS to see what was up. It had replaced the 1st boot choice (which was HDD5, installed in the ODD bay) with the USB drive (which isn't a boot drive). And there was no way to change it back. It was as though the USB drive was hiding the real boot drive.

I disconnected the USB drive, rebooted back into the BIOS, and then I was able to select the proper boot drive and get back into my OS (WHS 2011).

Obviously, I need to be able to restart the machine without disconnecting the USB drive every time. (It may even restart itself overnight, after automatic updates.) How can I prevent this switching of the boot priority when the USB drive is connected?

Thanks!

Associate
I'm going to answer my own question, because it wasn't as mysterious as I first thought. ;)

You first have to select the priority within each category of device: hard drives, removable drives, etc. Once you've done that, you can select, e.g., "hard drives first, then network, then removable drives".

So I've now set my boot drive to be the only item in the boot priority list. Although I've left "USB boot priority" as high, which I think should allow me to boot from USB when necessary.

Back
Top Bottom