Microsoft Surface RT Priced

Soldato
If it makes people feel any better im messing around with Xbox music at the moment and I've been forced to sit through that bloody Life of Pi trailer three times. That plays perfectly :p

Man of Honour
Does it look any good. I was going to read the book. But not ly reading the book spoils the film. Usually better. To watch the film, then read the book.

Soldato
[RXP]Andy;23075437 said:
One question about the about the Surface, has anyone tried to use Sky Go online? If so does it work?

I don't have the means to try, but I just went to their landing page and it told me to install flash player. So.... maybe not.

Soldato
Well thats good, spoke to the bank and cant see why the card is not being processed, no reason for it. Other than the fraud peoplel saying "yes, their site is crap and doesnt update quickly" lol

Soldato
Does it look any good. I was going to read the book. But not ly reading the book spoils the film. Usually better. To watch the film, then read the book.

The trailer looks alright. Doesn't look like a film for everybody though I get the impression its a fantasy/adventure type. Could be great or could be just weird.

Soldato
Played with a friends in work today and it was pretty nice. The screen sometimes looks sharp and other times looks less sharp, kinda weird. Text is usually fine but some other bits can looks a bit lower res compared to the ipad3. There's seemed to be a bit of ghosting as well when just scrolling the desktop side to side.

Apparently the metro versions of some of the office apps like onenote are way less useful than the fallback full fat versions which is a bit of a shame, it's about the only reason my friends has to drop back to desktop with it so far. Cut the rope was dropping frames, there's some frame dropping just in normal animations as well, hopefully stuff they can optimize out.

I'm going to take in the ipad3 to see how things look side by side.

Associate
[RXP]Andy;23075437 said:
One question about the about the Surface, has anyone tried to use Sky Go online? If so does it work?

First thing I tried with mine there and it doesn't work sadly. Kinda odd its not on the whitelist.

Soldato
The one we ordered for testing at work arrived yesterday.

I was really excited about this tablet but I am not really sold on it, I'll write down a few things I have noticed, both good and bad.

The screen is lovely, the resolution is fine, viewing angles are good.

Lots of the functions seem a little clunky, maybe it's because I am not aware of the gestures.

There is definitely slowdown, apps can take a while to load up. Cut the rope had slowdown, it shouldn't the specs are more than enough to cope so I think it might be sorted with an update.

I have had the keyboard not pickup on multiple occasions when it is connected.

That's about it for now, I'll be playing with it for this week so will maybe come in and update this, or change my mind on things.

I'm not giving up on it, I want to like it I'm just not sure it would replace my Android tablet just yet, maybe the 2nd revision of it would.

Associate
anyone tried the surface rt yet? if so how is it?

There's a few of us on here now that have our hands on one. My personal views are that so far its fantastic, once I got the hang of the gestures and learnt where things are I can see myself using this a lot.

Just waiting on something like VLC to finish it off nicely.

Associate
Anyone had any success with streaming from DLNA servers? I've tried that Multimedia 8 to playback, but no content found either on my WSE2012 server or DVBLink server.

There is a DVBLink app, but it's very early days (lip sync issues and it's picking up the narrative audio stream with no way to change), but at least that's streaming so I have my live SkyHD, just the rest of my media now...

Associate
Last edited:
Soldato
We compared an ipad3 to a surface rt in work today. The screen on the ipad is nicer, it's higher res and shows, colours are more vibrant and seems to have more contrast as well. The surface screen looks a bit muted beside it.

Screen size though the surface is bigger and 16:9 so it gives much bigger viewable area in videos. Youtube will full screen on the surface while having to use safari on the ipad it always has the top bar so there's inches of difference.

Sound, the surface has more mid and bass (well it's not exactly much bass) while the ipad has better treble so really depends on what you like really. Surface speakers are in a better position and kicks out stereo sound but at lower volumes. The ipad speaker is in a really bad location where it's often muffled by hand position and also it's just mono.

The touch keyboard dock is really cool, it even has a trackpad and windows rt allows a mouse pointer to display giving more control than possible with an ipad. Still think I prefer the software keyboard on the ipad compared to the software keyboard on the surface but that's probably just being familiar with it.

One thing that really shows though, the IOS home screen is really really old and boring feeling now, they need to do something about this. The surface live tiles and scrolling tiles/background add a really nice touch.

Back
Top Bottom