My Surface for Windows RT Review

Soldato
I did plan to write a short review of the Surface but as it turns out I found myself with a lot to say – some of which I’ve not read in other reviews. I know some people are still on the fence about it so maybe this review could help out.

I plan to spend some more time with the software side of things, and that will form part two of the review. But hardware is hardware and two days is enough really to get forming some opinions.

So here we go. Excuse the dust on some of the pictures. Dark electronics and laundry day don't mix. :o

Hardware

surface_1.png

Materials & Build Quality

The fit and finish on the Surface is superb. If there is a mark or blemish on mine then I haven’t found it yet. It is rigid and there is no flex or play in it at all. You could probably bat tennis balls with this thing all day and it would be fine. I can’t find a single dodgy seam or gob of glue anywhere. You pay for premium and you get premium.

The VaporMg material is very smooth and, to be honest, makes a nice change from aluminium. It feels slightly more grippy than the iPad.

The Windows key on the bezel is a capacitive button that gives a short, sharp vibration when pressed. I’m finding I don’t really use it that often, preferring to swipe in from the right edge. The volume rocker is sturdy and the ports accommodate their various devices and accessories nicely (no forcing in USB sticks that I’ve experienced on a few cheaper devices for example)

The screen is edge to edge Gorilla glass and there are thankfully no dead pixels on my Surface. I’ll talk more about the screen next.

surface_2.png

The Screen

I’m an amateur photographer so naturally I should be more discerning than most when it comes to image quality and I’m happy to say that the Surface has a very good screen. Is it the best in its class? No. You should all know by now that this is the minimum resolution for full Metro-style Windows compatibility - and minimum is perhaps a good word to describe it. I’ll leave it at that.

The good news is that pixels aren’t everything. The contrast is punchy and the viewing angles are superb. The colours are also very accurate – I compared images side by side with my calibrated Dell IPS monitor and there was little between them.

If you are a stickler for pixels then you are not going to be blown away by the screen. Otherwise, if you can adjust your expectations and appreciate its other qualities I can see most people being more than happy with it.

surface_5.png

The Touch Cover

My first impressions were, “ok, this is weird” and, “wow, this little track pad is great”. And to some extent, this is still true. It apparently takes 4 or 5 days to get comfortable with the Touch Cover and I think that is a reasonable statement.

If the keyboard is a big deal to you however, then just go straight for the Type cover. As nice and surprisingly good as the Touch cover is, if you want speed and accuracy you need proper keys. That said if you just need to knuckle down on a document every now and again then save your money and get a full sized USB keyboard. It works a charm. Hooray for Windows (and a USB port).

So what about the whole “click in” thing? It works great. If you hold the Surface and the cover in line with each other most of the time you’ll get a sort of two-stage attachment – the first being magnetic, and then as you fold the device toward you it will fidget and the mechanical connection will snap into place. You’re really best off holding the cover somewhat perpendicular to the Surface, and then it will snap straight into place 99% of the time. And yes you can dangle the Surface on the strength of the magnets.

My only niggling worry is that since the magnets are quite strong (you do have to want to pull it apart) I hope the covers don’t experience any significant wear. Unless you’re ambidextrous you’re almost certainly going to be pulling it from the same corner every time. Only time will tell how the material stands up.

surface_4.png

The Kickstand

Microsoft went to great lengths to communicate the fabulous sound and “visceral feeling” of the kickstand. It should open and close like an executive car door – to paraphrase some spiel I heard.

It doesn’t. The kickstand is way too thin to generate any sort of resounding “thunk” as you open and close it. If you rattle your fingernails against an empty soup can – that’s the sort of tactile feel you get. It is not a big deal but Panos Panay waxed so lyrical about it I couldn’t help but be a little bit disappointed. This is the reality: it folds away with a nice flippity click rather than a thunkity clunk.

Due to the razor slim profile of the kickstand it isn’t very comfortable to balance on your lap if you’re wearing shorts. This isn’t much of a problem though, since you won’t be using the Touch Cover in this position (trust me on that) you just fold it back underneath the Surface and let the bottom edge of the kickstand rest on that. It works surprisingly well and I already miss not being able to do this with the iPad.

I should perhaps point out that although I’ve been a bit negative about it – the kickstand is fine. Actually it’s more than fine – it’s good. There must be some sort of spring mechanism in there because at the extremities of travel it does confidently snap into place. The angle is good too. For a fixed position they really had to get it right, and I think they have. It’s a good feature.

For reference, that is a 10 pence piece stacked against the stand in the picture above. It's super thin.

surface_3.png

That power connector thingy

At first, I thought it was ok. But it’s not. It’s rubbish. No, it’s not unusable, but it is way more fickle than it should be. You’re never quite confident of the connection which means having a quick peek at your lock screen to assure yourself that it’s charging. It does have a dim little light on the top of the connector but it’s next to useless unless you’re in the dark.

Considering the amount of time they spent poring over the details of this product it’s a little bit bizarre. Although to be fair, that in itself should tell you about the standard of the rest of the device. The power connector is by far the outlier and will almost certainly be revised in the next version.

In my opinion they need to take a look at Apple’s MagSafe connector and also their battery indicator lights on the side of their MacBooks. A similar implementation would be great on the next Surface.

The Cameras

I won’t spend much time on the cameras except to say that these are video cameras. I did consider posting some samples, but decided against it. This is not a still camera. How ridiculous do iPad users look holding their gadget aloft snapping photos? Now image a Touch or Type cover flapping away underneath like some high tech tackle. It’s insane so I’m not even going to encourage it.

The Speakers

Spectacularly average. I don’t think they are quite as good as the iPad3 speakers (for comparison) but there really isn’t much between them. They serve a purpose. If you are listening to music or watching a film you’re going to use an external source or headphones anyway. I have a cheap pair of Sennheiser cans and they sound awesome – and freakin’ loud. I don’t know if the scale is somewhat off but at just 20% volume it is loud enough and subjectively equivalent to 50-60% volume on the iPad.

---

So, as stated I'm going to leave it a few days to spend some more time with the software and finish off the review. I've had inconsistent experiences so we'll see what happens.

Cheers

Update #1 03.11.12

Battery Life

The battery life on the Surface RT is great. If you want objective tests then you can find them on sites like Anandtech who have far more sophisticated setups and processes than I do. I can give you my subjective analysis though – which is that it easily passes the threshold at which you don’t really have to worry about it.

As a typical example, I took the Surface off charge yesterday afternoon at maybe 75%. I then did a few video tests which included watching most of the James Bond Top Gear episode and then after that left it downloading a HD film off the Xbox marketplace. A little while later I watched the movie (1 hours 30 minutes) and then left the device alone in the evening and overnight. This morning I opened it up, checked the news etc. and I had 37% charge remaining. If you’re worried about Windows being a big drain on the battery, don’t be. It isn’t.

On top of that, the Surface charges very quickly. From 0 to 50% in about an hour, which, if you’re coming from glacially slow iPad3 like I am, is just fantastic.

A couple of posters have suggested in the comments that the power cable is too short. This may be true for some but for me, and I suspect for most people, it won’t be an issue. My initial reaction when I unboxed it was completely indifferent. It didn’t strike me as being anything out of the ordinary. I compared it with the iPad equivalent and the Surface cable is in fact longer. Additionally, since it charges so quickly I think the instances in which you’re tethered to the wall while the Surface is in use will be few and far between. Your mileage may vary, of course.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Usability Experiences

The Metro battery life indicator needs more detail

As far as I can tell, the little battery indicator graphic is all you get - and I want a percentage readout. Currently the only way to get this is by dipping into the desktop and clicking on the icon in the system tray. It’s a pain for me, frankly.

I miss having a visible clock

There isn’t a global indicator of time in Windows RT except for the overlay you see when you invoke the charms. It’s not a big deal but it would be nice to at least have the option to add it to the Start screen. I know you can download a clock app but to me that’s overkill for such a little feature and I’d rather you didn’t have to.

The Touch cover just works

Sometimes the best technology is invisible to the user and the accelerometer in the Touch cover is a great example of that. The cover has pretty much been permanently attached to the Surface since I got it and during that time I haven’t entered a single accidental key press. That to me is just amazing. It works brilliantly.

Cover takes precedence over the on screen keyboard… sometimes to my annoyance

If you pick up your Surface and flip open the cover you can find yourself in a situation where you expect the on screen keyboard to appear... but it doesn’t. You see, the touch cover is the higher priority input, but sometimes it’s just quicker and easier to use the screen - for example the login process. You do get used to it and now it’s just a reminder to fully fold the cover back, but it is an example of when multiple inputs can sometimes clash.

Lock screen can sometimes flicker, ungraceful brightness adjustment and very occasional audio distortion

This is nit-picking a little but they do detract from the experience. I’ve seen the lock screen blip into view for a fraction of a second right after I’ve logged in and a couple of times the audio has, for want of a better phrase, “crapped out” on me. Nothing a quick app restart hasn’t cured though.

The brightness thing is a little harder to describe. Imagine luminosity as a person who travels up and down an escalator from high intensity to low intensity. Most of the time you will get a silky smooth transition. Occasionally though, it’s almost as if the escalator suddenly stops and the luminosity falls A over T down the remaining steps. Or up. Either way you get a very jerky graduation and it doesn’t look great.

A widescreen format is not so bad after all

One of my huge concerns that existed way back before the Surface was even announced was that Windows was quite obviously and unashamedly a widescreen format operating system. My fear was that, although this was great for video content, it would seriously hobble any Windows device as a web browser – which of course are almost universally delivered in a vertical scrolling format.

I am extremely happy to say that my fear was unfounded. The Surface works very well as a web browser. The “chromeless” IE10 has obviously been designed with maximizing vertical space for content in mind - and it does help.

I will say that given the higher resolution, the 4:3 format and predominantly vertical orientation the 3rd generation iPad it IS the better all-round web browser but the Surface compares very well. And also has a Flash plugin.

By the Power of Windows

A tablet running Windows (RT) can feel a bit like wielding a double edged sword. The real problem is it actually messes with your expectations, and as such the operating system can feel powerful one minute and then frustratingly limited the next.

It can support multiple users… that’s good! But you’re sharing a tiny amount of storage… that’s bad.

It has Office… that’s good! But it’s a non-commercial license… that’s bad.

It has a desktop… that’s good! But it can’t run any other Win32 applications… that’s bad.

Yes, some of those tasty Windows sprinkles do in fact contain potassium benzoate. But let’s be fair - it’s better than no sprinkles at all. Being able to successfully jam a USB stick into your tablet – even a Bitlocker encrypted volume – makes a refreshing change.

If you check the Windows RT device compatibility website there are tens of thousands of devices listed as working. Everything from media streamers to cameras and game controllers to printers.

It all boils down to how you look at it. If compatibility is a deal breaker then Windows 8 is the better option. But you can’t deny that even this “limited” range of tens of thousands of compatible devices is a major perk for RT owners compared with other systems. It could quite easily be the difference between having to buy a new printer or not.

Performance

IMG_4468.jpg

(the above image is a low shutter speed photo - the jitter isn't even close to looking that bad!!)

A lot has been said and speculated about the performance of the Surface RT. It’s true that the device can sometimes perform inconsistently, and most people infer from this that the hardware is underpowered.

However, I don’t think this is an altogether satisfying explanation. The key word is inconsistent. I put forward the notion that this is a compound issue that starts with Windows RT being essentially version 1.0 and is exaggerated by apps in the store that haven’t been tested on this class of device.

Let’s begin with the idea that Windows RT is in a slightly rougher state than Microsoft would let us believe. A good place to start would be a comparison with other hardware. I’ve been running Windows 8 since the preview versions on an old (and frankly obsolete) tablet based on an Intel Pineview N450 single core Atom processor with integrated graphics. This runs the full fat desktop version of the OS unbelievably well. I can flip through a bunch of open apps no problem and there is barely a hint of slowdown.

The Surface RT on the other hand drops animations after just 4 or 5 flips of the left edge UI, and if you exit one of the larger and more demanding apps (a game for example) even the Start screen itself can be a bit jittery for a few seconds. I’m not buying that the hardware is struggling.

Another red flag that I picked up on in the months since the Surface announcement was the fact that, during most of that time, Windows RT was something of a mystery. It was only during the last few weeks before launch day that people actually started getting their hands on hardware running Windows RT. Before that, Microsoft had been extremely cagey about letting people try out Windows RT devices.

Unlike Windows Phone 8, Windows RT already had a clearly defined feature list, so the most obvious reason for keeping hands off is surely because they were still working on performance issues? That’s what my money is on.

graphics_comparison.png

Above are two screenshots from games running on Windows RT. On the left is Dodo GoGo and on the right is Hydro Thunder Hurricane.

Hydro Thunder Hurricane is a smooth and enjoyable experience and Dodo GoGo lags like a drunk trying to use a cash machine in the dark. Does that sound like a hardware issue to you? Or maybe that Dodo GoGo hasn’t been tested on Windows RT hardware? It might not come as a surprise that Hydro Thunder Hurricane is a product of Microsoft Studios.

Now that the hardware is out there, these problems should go away. But Microsoft haven’t got anybody but themselves to blame for not getting Windows RT out there sooner for people to test against.

So is this all bad news? No. I don’t think it’s even entirely unexpected news. We’re dealing with a different Hardware Extraction Layer with HAL extensions to even get Windows to work at all on ARM. This is before you even start porting common code. Did you really think this was going to be perfect out of the gate? No chance. It would not surprise me if this was the root cause of some of the odd issues people have been experiencing from sound to wifi and sleep/standby quirks.

The good news is we’re dealing with Microsoft, and not Apple, for software support. The Surface is serviceable with future firmware upgrades and you’ll be able to set your watch by regular monthly updates for Windows. The apps will look after themselves.

The Verdict

6oo10.png

I’m going to give the Surface for Windows RT a harsh score of 6 out of 10.

This is a good tablet, but it isn’t great… at least, not yet.

I’ve been flip-flopping between 6 and 7 for a few days now and what finally settled it was the answer to the question – “would I automatically recommend the Surface RT?” The answer is, unfortunately, no, not without a list of caveats.

I don’t think Windows RT is quite ready. And I’m not talking about the whole Metro vs Desktop experience duality. I’m over that; I’ve been using Windows 8 in its various forms for over a year now. I’m talking about the fact that this – the Surface RT – is first and foremost a device and as such it should behave like one.

And while it does achieve that for the most part you’re frequently reminded of the large portions of this operating system are that deeply rooted in its desktop lineage. If I want to remove a user, it’s a trip to Control Panel. The same if you want to check on the antivirus status. The integrated Flash plugin, even in Metro IE10 mode, makes absolutely no concession for the fact that this is a touch-first device. It’s so infuriating to use sometimes that you will find yourself flipping out the cover just to use the track pad momentarily.

If Microsoft issue a service pack or platform update that decouples the desktop to the point you can truly treat it as optional extra, and also rectifies some of the skittish performance problems and inconsistencies, I would easily revise the final score up to 7. Access to the desktop undoubtedly gives you power – it’s worth keeping around just for full and convenient file system access in my opinion - but visiting desktop land should be on your terms and not because the option simply doesn’t exist in the primary user experience.

And while we’re on the subject of increasing the final score, I would also further increment the tally by 1 once the app ecosystem reaches a level of maturity to the point it is no longer a source of contention. I’m not a big app user but there are gaping holes in even my small collection. Amazon cloud player, Audible etc. and that’s without Facebook and Twitter that are conspicuous by their absence.

Gradually, these problems will be solved – performance tweaks and bug fixes are a nailed on certainty and the app store just needs time to mature. But I can’t give points for stuff that’s in the pipeline and coming soon; I’ve already paid for the device in full and I’m reviewing it today.

And neither can I talk about “time” as a commodity that can be spent without consequence. While the hardware and performance are good enough, they are not stellar. The guts of the Surface are roughly comparable to what the 3rd generation iPad has – what it lacks in pixel pushing power it makes up for with double the RAM. Unfortunately, instead of being comparable, the Surface RT should have been, if anything, slightly ahead of the curve if it wanted to compete over any meaningful length of time in the hardware skirmishes.

The 4th generation iPad is already upon us which leaves the current generation in its dust. Rightly or wrongly people listen to benchmarks, and we all know the Cupertino clan love a good bar graph – especially when their product will paste the competition. And don’t forget, the Surface is running a meatier and much more sophisticated operating system. It is doing more… with less. And as time goes by these differences are going to get more pronounced, not less.

And what about the elephant in the room? The Surface 2. It’s not a great stretch of the imagination to envisage in 12 months the arrival an Atom based, pixel pushing powerhouse with a 1080p screen, NFC, 3G/4G connected Surface with revised hardware (i.e. power connector) and with almost none of the caveats of Windows RT.

Make no mistake, this is a good tablet. A very good tablet. Even in this rough form, Windows is clearly richer than iOS – it’s great. The Surface brand of tablets, readers and phones will be more than a match for their iOS alternatives over the next decade.

The problem is this particular model is version 1.0 software, running on version 1.0 hardware, from, arguably, a version 1.0 devices and services company.

It’s something of a miracle it’s actually as good as it is… but an oddball nonetheless.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I realy like the look of the charging port, as it means you can still hold and grip the surface to use it whilst charging. Ok I can do that on the ipad, but due to the wire coming out straight, rather than down, you do have to hold it differently. Does it actually charge all time and your just looking due to lack of feedback on connection, or is it not actually attaching correctly?

The speakers also sound very promising, I find the ipad speakers fine, in a silent roo, but in a slightly noisy environment, like a van with the engine on to keep warm. It's far to quiet.

I've also seen a review that's said the touch cover is actually better than the type cover, due to the buttons being so close together, You end up hitting multiple, while on the touch cover, it registers where the pressure is and make far less mistakes.

Last edited:
Associate
Great review, the surface really does seem like terrific hardware. I'm looking forward to hearing your opinions on the RT software.

Associate
Good summary theheyes.

A couple of things I would add...

The power cable is too short. Glaucus you can do as you suggested, but need to be fairly close to a plug...

Theheyes, have you noticed any screen artefacts? Mine had severe corruption after playing Adera for a few hours. Similar problem on a relative's who was just browsing. Might just be drivers...but interesting both Surfaces did a similar thing after a couple of days use...

Also, and maybe you will cover this in software, but on a 32gb model only 15gb is available after installing all the updates not the over 20gb Microsoft stated. In the main won't be a problem short term, but some games are already around 1gb.

Man of Honour
Bit disappointing, especially as its not a USB plug, still hopfully someone will make a longer leap.

I have three metere ipad leads for this reason.

Soldato
OP
Theheyes, have you noticed any screen artefacts? Mine had severe corruption after playing Adera for a few hours. Similar problem on a relative's who was just browsing. Might just be drivers...but interesting both Surfaces did a similar thing after a couple of days use..

Not as such - BUT - I had two tiles disappear and I was trying to figure out whether it was a graphics glitch or not. My Office tiles are at the far end of the Start screen and Powerpoint and Word were missing. I scrolled left and back again and they reappeared. Odd.

This is why I want to spend a few more days on the software because it's a bit more involved. I find Flash player a little inconsistent as well - sometimes it's perfect and others not. I just don't feel like I can make a proper judgement yet.

Soldato
Great write-up thanks for it!

The hardware looks gorgeous, they done a seriously good job with designing this thing. However I'm still not quite sure why they went for the Tegra3 in such a premium priced device.

Having said that Windows8 seems like the best suited OS for a tablet, and I have my sights firmly fixed on the surface pro.

Associate
Not as such - BUT - I had two tiles disappear and I was trying to figure out whether it was a graphics glitch or not. My Office tiles are at the far end of the Start screen and Powerpoint and Word were missing. I scrolled left and back again and they reappeared. Odd.

This is why I want to spend a few more days on the software because it's a bit more involved. I find Flash player a little inconsistent as well - sometimes it's perfect and others not. I just don't feel like I can make a proper judgement yet.

Interesting, I was saving this up for after your software review, but my news app has disappeared. Doesn't appear in all apps or when searching. The store shows it as installed...definitely a glitch as I can't uninstall it yet doesn't exist either!

I don't use flash much so would be interested in what reference files you're using. H.264 content is perfect over the network however.

Soldato
Funny thing about the speakers is at least with this one you can get some USB powered laptop screen and have a nice sounding little system.

Just a thought on another use of a full open USB.

Thanks for the write up.

Associate
I've been spending the last 3-4 months writing a Windows 8 application for the app store, and I can't WAIT to get my hands on a Surface RT to start testing on that.

Great write up - thanks :)

Soldato
I did not bother, I honestly will not be using that enough to warrant the initial outlay, and im willing to bet if I do think about one their will be 3rd parties getting in on making them, so we may see some innovative ideas..IF i do need something, usb, keyboard and mouse mofo! lol

WHo delivers them do we know?

Back
Top Bottom