iPhone 5, drops signal, No Service...

Associate
i live in Cleethorpes and the other area was just outside it about 15 miles from it. So not a great distance but even when im out side in Cleethorpes i get no issues.

Did a little test yesterday. Was sat in my house and could not send/ receive calls and texts. (data was working perfectly). Went into my garden... no signal change. But i could send/receive calls and texts.

Maybe its the walls in my house, or maybe its interference from something, wireless router for example. (ive tried changing channels and does not work.)

One thing that is strange though, when i scan for a network im shown the list and there are two option for three. 3 and 3G. Now i believe the '3' is a 2g signal. When i connect to this i get no service - 1 bar of signal.

I wondering if the phone is somehow using the 3G signal for data and the 2G signal for voice which would explain why i get great connectivity for data and crappy connectivity for voice and texts.

But i don't even now if thats even possible, how many antennas can this use at once?

EDIT*

Ive ordered a GiffGaff nano sim from that nanogaff project as they don't do nano sims yet.

Im going to test my current sim in my n95 see if its a signal issue, then im going to put the giffgaff sim and use it and see how it goes. If i still get problems then i will have to return the phone.

Last edited:
Associate
I have some good news.

For me it looks like a network signal issue not a phone issue.

Just activated a giffgaff sim and so far its working perfectly in my iPhone (maybe a bit too early to tell yet but so far so good.)

Stuck my Three sim into my old phone, get full 3G signal, but keep getting connection errors.

Associate
OP
Good news. But you're getting 3 signal problems on the old phone? Presume you're using a nano-to-micro sim adapter?

Could the problem be with the new nano SIM cards? I know of others with 3 signal issues, who have replaced nano SIM cards but with no improvements.

Associate
Good news. But you're getting 3 signal problems on the old phone? Presume you're using a nano-to-micro sim adapter?

Could the problem be with the new nano SIM cards? I know of others with 3 signal issues, who have replaced nano SIM cards but with no improvements.

Yea after a few hours of testing I can say that I'm getting the exact same issue on my n95 with this sim. I don't think it's the sim, because I don't have any issues when I'm at work.

Yea I'm using a nano to normal sim adaptor for my old phone.

My guess is the iPhone is using two different antennas for voice and data. When you go to a area with no 2g signal the iPhone isn't switching voice over to 3G. So this issue could be fixed in the next update. You're seeing this issue on three a lot because there 2g network is none existent in most areas.

Soldato
No issues here. I've had No Service happen a couple of times but that's when I've been on the tram to work going through a tunnel or something. Always picks up 3G again pretty fast afterwards. This is on 3 by the way. Tried EE and that was pretty poor near me- stated it was on 3G even though I was getting GPRS speeds :/

EDIT: Scratch that, went to work today and lost signal for a while (more than say a few minutes), so I thought I'd wait until I come back home (where I get 5 bars) to see if it had stuck. It had, and only airplane mode would restore it. Don't remember this happening on my 4S.

Last edited:
Associate
already replaced on of mine for similar fault,

genius guy had it on desk no one holding it i called it on other iPhone 5 and 18 seconds later lost signal etc they replaced it straight away... one of my friends done same as well

Associate
I had this issue on my iPhone 5 on three since release day. Every day it would drop to no signal and not be able to reconnect without me putting it in and out airplane mode. However, over the last week or so it has been able to automatically reconnect after losing signal, has anyone else experienced this? I have not changed anything on the phone or my journey to work where it still loses signal for parts of it, it is just able to reconnect by itself now.

Associate
I've had exactly the same problem on Three with iPhone 5.

So far I've had a new nano sim, a replacement iPhone 5 and now I've updated to 6.01 so hope this will be the end of the problem :(

Associate
Wondering if any of you are having the same symptom with your iPhone 5 since upgrading to iOs 6.01...

1. At work today I've noticed that while 3G is switched on my O2 signal drops to either 1 bar or No Service and it's impossible to make a call. Switching 3G off again resolves the problem and I regain my full O2 signal bar and can make calls.

This second problem existed prior to the iOS 6.01 update..

2. The icon for call forwarding being activated randomly appears (despite call forwarding not having been switched on). This requires either merely accessing the call forwarding settings page, or sometimes having to toggle the setting on then off again.

Associate
OP
I had this issue on my iPhone 5 on three since release day. Every day it would drop to no signal and not be able to reconnect without me putting it in and out airplane mode. However, over the last week or so it has been able to automatically reconnect after losing signal, has anyone else experienced this? I have not changed anything on the phone or my journey to work where it still loses signal for parts of it, it is just able to reconnect by itself now.

Meant to reply before, that my phone has been behaving for the last couple of weeks also. No drop outs and reconnects if it looses signal legitimately. Updated to 6.0.1 anyway, but no noticeable difference.

Xee

Xee

Associate
I am already on 6.0.1 and have noticed the iPhone 5 getting stuck on 'No Service'. Changing to Airplane Mode and back gets it working again. But this is annoying. Think another update is needed.

Soldato
Mine was perfectly fine before apart from usual poor signal at work.

Since ive updated to 6.02, I lose all bars and struggle to get a signal back again. I have to either reset network settings / reset the phone to get it back. So annoying.

Soldato
I'm having it too now, since I did the last update, when I get home it shows no signal, I changed carrier to manually and it searched but didn't find any networks, I never usually have reception issues on any network.

Soldato
Mines been doing this and STILL doing it even with the new firmware. Every time I put it in my pocket I can guarantee when I pull it out it will say No Service. Every time I'm right too. Is ****** stupid. With three too.

Back
Top Bottom