How much rent is reasonable?

Associate
I paid 40% of my wages whilst I was living at home and working, but when I was looking for a house it turned out they had saved half of that in a high interest account for me.

It paid a lot towards my down payment on my house.

I plan to do the same for my son, but he's a few years to go yet as he's only 7 months!

Caporegime
£100 month to cover share of bills e.t.c, i dont think so. Our food bill for 4 is about £250 a month so theres £75 each but the kids eat more than we do, breakfast, lunch and dinner, i just have dinner/tea.
50% of income may seem harsh but theres folks out there needing more than 100% just to live/get by.

just because other people are poor doesn't mean the OP needs to be... also your figures are slightly wrong

perhpas he should break down the actual costs of food, bills rather than going with the arbitrary £200 a month - I still think some sort of deal where he pays less during the apprentice and more when he qualifies would be more beneficial

Don
just because other people are poor doesn't mean the OP needs to be... also your figures are slightly wrong

perhpas he should break down the actual costs of food, bills rather than going with the arbitrary £200 a month - I still think some sort of deal where he pays less during the apprentice and more when he qualifies would be more beneficial
It doesn't really matter how much it costs if his parents can afford it without his money. I suspect his parents will be putting this money aside for him, rather than spending it themselves, certainly if they are good parents I would expect them to be doing that without his suggestion.

Soldato
Well let's get the obvious out of the way - that's blatantly an illegal wage so why are you posting like you are going to tolerate something so ridiculous?

Edit - oh an apprentaship. Pffft it's such a miserably low wage, slave labour :(

minimum wage should be minimum wage.

not less for being under 21 or this or that?

minimum = minimum surely ?

Soldato
£200 a month is excessive for a £400 a month wage.

People bringing value you in to it shouldn't be, because he's living with his family.

He'd probably be better off not working, than giving up 150 hours a month for £200.

It'd make more sense if your mum just said that instead of giving her rent, she took £200 a month off you and saved it up for you for your future.

Associate
50% of his wage is in no way excessive. He is living at home so it can be assumed that this will also include all bills, food , cleaning, ironing, cooking, Pretty good deal I would say.

Soldato
Just pay her the money and stop questioning it.

£200 will not even cover the cost of you living, she could easily charge more and it'd still be reasonable. Welcome to adult life.

I'd hazard that she's probably given up a huge portion of her life for you, the least you can do is help pay your way so she can start doing things for herself.

/thread

Soldato

£200 will not even cover the cost of you living, she could easily charge more and it'd still be reasonable. Welcome to adult life.

I'd hazard that she's probably given up a huge portion of her life for you, the least you can do is help pay your way so she can start doing things for herself.

/thread

Him being there has hardly caused his parents to live in poverty it seems. Annual holidays and new cars doesn't scream that they need the money to me. Parents are there to help make your adult life as easy as possible as well as the usual clothe, feed and provide shelter. I think £100 rent and the promise of saving £100 a month or depositing £100 of the £200 rent in a saving account would be much better for both parties involved. If they do this by the time he's earning a decent wage he could have a fair amount saved up to be able to afford to move into his own place earlier than if they're taking £200 a month leaving him less to save and him being there longer.

Soldato
I personally think it's a bit mean of your mum seeing as you're an apprentice and apprentices earn, as you know, **** all, but then we need to consider your mum's situation. Is she skint?

If she needs the money to house, feed and look after you, it's fair. If she doesn't, it's a little bit mean but it's her house, so it's her decision to make.

On the other hand, with my debts and whatnot I don't see much more than £200 a month to spare, now I'm finally almost paid up and moving out early next year, I don't suppose I'll even have that. So... it's not so bad.

In short, if you can negotiate one good steak and chips dinner per week for that, take the deal. If you can't... take the deal.

Soldato
Oh lawd.

Oh lawd, again.

To be completely blunt about it, that sort of thinking is complete rubbish. His parents CHOSE to have him.

no

Back
Top Bottom