htpc/tablet/media player for mkv?

Associate
I want to have a way to watch mkvs whenever I visit my parents' place.
The only requirements I have are: ability to play mkvs of any kind from an external usb ntfs drive, a way to scroll through a video easily (a mouse?), hdmi output and sub support.
No web browsing is going to be needed but it wouldn't hurt. I dont care about wifi, or gaming at all.

I was thinking about a windows 8 pro tablet, I will want to buy a tablet to use during flights as I am going to be selling my macbook pro (the thing I was using as a media player while I was there, and i was just using it on my holidays) but I think they are going to be pretty expensive, and I think that all rt tablets will not support mkv.
I would rather spend less then, and just buy a cheaper tablet for my inflight needs and ebook reading while at home.

Any suggestions?

Associate
With the windows 8 pro tablet would you not be able to download vlc media player onto it? then play whatever you like?

or use your main computer at home to convert the mkv to a playable format and then put them onto a protable device

Associate
OP
the windows 8 pro tablet is fine with what I want, I am just worried about the price as the rumours place it near the 1000 mark. But other than that it is perfect as its basically windows 8 pro.

For the surface rt tablet:
As for converting, I would be limited as I would have to prepare everything in advance and not just carry some hdds with me. Unless there is an app that would let me stream mkvs from an external hdd then it would be great.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
So the asus eee transformer would be perfect for what I want? It has hdmi and usb input. Shame that the google nexus ones dont have any kind of memory input

Associate
You could consider the kindle fire. it comes with unlimited cloud storage with amazon. upoload all you movies etc to the cloud. then download them as and when you need them. then no need for expansion slots?

Back
Top Bottom