*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I find myself asking 'Why does a company and project of this standing need to resort to Kickstarter to gets funds?' What do the publishers know that we don't that means they've been reluctant to invest in his studio?

It's entirely understandable for small independent outfits with new ideas etc. but something like this - it amazes me that they couldn't get funding via normal routes?

Or could it just be as simple as doing it this way means there are no proper shareholders to divy the profits out to, so they keep all the proceeds themselves?

It's certainly enough to make me think twice about it.

Associate
I find myself asking 'Why does a company and project of this standing need to resort to Kickstarter to gets funds?' What do the publishers know that we don't that means they've been reluctant to invest in his studio?

It's entirely understandable for small independent outfits with new ideas etc. but something like this - it amazes me that they couldn't get funding via normal routes?

Or could it just be as simple as doing it this way means there are no proper shareholders to divy the profits out to, so they keep all the proceeds themselves?

It's certainly enough to make me think twice about it.

Read up about the FFE debacle, basically Gametek wanted to release before Braben wanted to and it was a buggy mess as a result. IIRC it even ended up in the courts...

Maybe he doesn't want it constrained by a publisher pushing for dates, and wants to get it right. Maybe publishers don't want to fund games like this - from Star Citizen "The traditional publishers don’t believe in PC or Space Sims. Venture Capitalists only want to back mobile or social gaming startups".

So maybe it's a combination of all that...I don't care as long as it's delivered and it lives up to the Elite name.

Soldato
If you want to make a real game for pc gamers, then don't involve the publishers!

Crowd sourced funding is a surefire way of getting funding, and seeing how many people would be interested.

I see no issues about this source of funding. I get a game, they get the money. They have total control over the game developement.

Soldato
As Braben says about the original Elite.

"Right at the start, Ian and I took that risk when making the first “Elite” amidst cries that it needed three lives and a score – but we took the risk that others wanted what we wanted – and the result was a great success."

I'm quite happy to keep the publishers out of it and let him make the game that he wants. It worked out quite well for the original.

Soldato
I do think the kickstarter page needs some concept art, wallpapers, maybe a teaser video or at least a little more info. I'm not sure the entire project can be funded by old timers like myself who played the original and are pledging on that basis. The project needs to get gamers interested who have maybe heard the name but never played any of the original games.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I do think the kickstarter page needs some concept art, wallpapers, maybe a teaser video or at least a little more info. I'm not sure the entire project can be funded by old timers like myself who played the original and are pledging on that basis. The project needs to get gamers interested who have maybe heard the name but never played any of the original games.

Have to agree. I've pledged £20 not so much on the basis I believe that they can produce the game I'd want tho it would be nice if they did manage it but as I had a lot of fun playing the original and off the back of elite came a lot of games like eve online that I've spent a lot of time playing that are heavily influenced by it and I think the UK games industry has a lot of talent and needs better investment/funding (and management).

Associate
I spent many hours on the original BBC version and got to Elite status after months of play. Its still in its box in my cupboard, although the bbc is long gone,

For nostalgias sake, theres an open source version of Elite for Mac OSX, Linux and Windows. http://www.oolite.org/ . It runs pretty well, more like Frontier, which I also have stashed away.

Soldato
Going to hit £200,000 just shortly, not bad for just over a day and a half. It will be interesting to see if they can keep up the momentum.

Associate
Can someone tell me this!

Is the Money taken now out your account or after the 60 days???? When the goal is either reached or not???

As we have seen with Dice and EA they simply wanted to have BF3 out as quick as they could and ended up with a game they should be ashamed off with all its bugs, and worse tried to con everyone to pay more through Downloadable content to finish the game.

So in essence I’m happy if the game was finished when it was ready and not rushed to meet a deadline that some office guy dreamed up to fit in a larger schedule.

Man of Honour
Going to hit £200,000 just shortly, not bad for just over a day and a half. It will be interesting to see if they can keep up the momentum.

Over 200K now - If everyone who'd retweeted etc. had pledged it would already be 1/3rd of the way there.

Associate
Cheers for the info lads. i should really read dam pages :o sorry found the info at the side after I read on here.
If this project is successfully funded, your card will be charged on Friday Jan 4, 7:00pm EST, along with all the other backers of this project.;)

4,275 Backers
£203,053 Pledged of £1,250,000 goal
59 Days to go

Last edited:
Associate
They need a Facebook page as well! Be good if a few of the lads that stream games like DayZ and gets subs put some Money back into the industry!

Last edited:
Soldato
I would absolutely love to contribute towards funding this as Elite is one of my all time favourite games. However, with no screenshots, video or even any concept art I'm struggling to justify putting my cash down. Doesn't look like there has been any work done so far at all to me :(

Associate
Pledge £5,000 or more
5 backers Sold out
Dinner with myself and the key team members in Cambridge, Have a central star system named* after you, plus all rewards above.
Estimated delivery: Mar 2014

1.2 million? Are there enough 80s kids to remember their games?
Aye but now we have the Money to back him!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom