US election 2012

Caporegime
Because the US election system sucks or at least the people behind don't know what they want any more, at least certainly no perseverance to obtain it anyway.

Soldato
OP
Florida votes counted have passed fifty per cent, and it's an absolute deadlock.

Yep - it's certainly tight! Obama has been (very slightly) ahead for quite a while now though.

It was always going to be close in Florida to be honest... If the polls were to be believed it was the only state that has been truly "too close to call" for the past week or so. I really expected Romney to edge it in the end, but I'm not so sure now!

Caporegime
Are people seriously staying up for for this vanity contest?

I realise it may be somewhat exciting, but the results are the same either way, a huge fist up the proverbial shaft.

Caporegime
Huff. Post has ~17k in it to Obama with 57%, while CNN has 74% in, with ~16k more to Obama. Florida is going to take a while longer yet! I want sleep!

Soldato
There's going to be a legal challenge to whatever the result is. We won't know what the actual result is for a long while (days, not hours), and then add on the legal shenanigans.

Soldato
Seems the Republicans will take both the House and the Senate. Can't see Obama being able to do much. If Romney can get the popular vote the Republicans can pretty much govern with or without the presidency.

Caporegime
Why are Ohio and Florida so important? Is it just because they have been known to vote for candidates rather than just Republican or Democrat?

Each State get a number based on population.

California gets 55 v Vermont of 3 because California has more people. So more weight goes towards it.

Winner takes all, majority wins.

So even if 49% of people vote for the other guy, tough.

Some States are biased towards one side and one the other.

Typically rural areas votes Republicans, middle age, white middle class americans typically, Texas.

Where cities population generally votes democrats - New York.

Generally, even before Obama, Blacks and Latino votes democrats. It was the democrats after all who brought in the Civil Rights Bill for equal rights for blacks. Even Clinton and Kerry over 80% of the black votes, it has little to do with Obama being black getting the black votes.

Therefore the demographic of the people in that state does have a huge impact and influence on the result.

There is also the ID criteria, you need an ID to vote, and the US has no ID system and a lot of people don't even have Passport. So it is down to having a driving licence and that normally translate to having a car and that means a lot of poor americans don't have (1 in 6 is under the poverty line), so you can argue the voting system is biased against the poor.

Then you have States that is flips between each side historically, it is these states that matters the most.

You need 270 votes in total to get in the white house.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom