US election 2012

Soldato
OP
Seems the Republicans will take both the House and the Senate. Can't see Obama being able to do much. If Romney can get the popular vote the Republicans can pretty much govern with or without the presidency.

The house was pretty much a foregone conclusion, but as far as I can see, the senate race is going reasonably well for the Democrats? They've gained two seats already, and seem to be on course to maintain their majority.

Man of Honour
Piers Morgan said on twitter that CNN predictions suggest that they'll both stay as they are.

edit:

Piers Morgan ‏@piersmorgan
On current CNN projections....House will stay Republican, Senate will stay Democrat. Whoever's President will have a tough old time again.

Soldato
The house was pretty much a foregone conclusion, but as far as I can see, the senate race is going reasonably well for the Democrats? They've gained two seats already, and seem to be on course to maintain their majority.
It's not certain, but the Dems are still likely to maintain their Senate majority. Anyone that says it is unlikely isn't looking at the numbers.

Soldato
OP
Florida is tight as a ducks ****!

The lead is swinging from one candidate to the other by margins of around 1000 votes.

Virginia is a surprise... I thought that it would go to Obama with a slim margin, but with over 50% of the votes in he's trailing by 4 points. Not looking promising for the president there. Of course, if he wins Florida than Virginia doesn't matter in the slightest.

Soldato
Colorado is looking promising for Obama though which is good.

If he can get Colorado and Ohio I reckon he probably doesn't need Florida.

CANDIDATES
Obama
(Incumbent)
Romney
VOTES
VOTES %
50%
49%
Est. 84% in

Obama is definitely improving on Florida.

kd

Last edited:
Soldato
We also have First-past-the-post voting in the UK, so it isn't just a weird American thing. Although we don't block MP seats together.

Soldato
CNN showing 30k margin Florida, so getting bigger. 1% margin with fewer votes to go is pretty large.

edit:

20k now, it looks like they update in weird blocks. I guess precinct vote distributions vary a lot within the state.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Colorado is looking promising for Obama though which is good.

If he can get Colorado and Ohio I reckon he probably doesn't need Florida.

kd

Colorado and Ohio would almost certainly do it for Obama. New Hampshire is looking like a dead cert as well, though it's only worth 4 electoral votes so probably won't make a difference.

Back
Top Bottom