The road to become a programmer

Caporegime
How can I run Python in a similar way to C# in Visual Studio, allowing me to debug and run straight from the program like that? I liked VS for C# as it auto completes stuff and is pretty quick.

You can use an IDE like IDEL but one of the nicest things with python is that it is an interpreted language and has an interactive interface.

Just run the python command line interpreter and code line at a time to see if the code is correct.

The downside in not being a compiled language you likely wont find bugs until that piece of code is run. The upshot of which is is forces you to right test driven code to ensure error free development, cf compiled language where people tend to be happy if it compiles and may not right any test code despite the possibility of a bug being there. Languages like c/c++ are very easy to compile without error but actually have horrible bugs in the code that are hard to see.

i am not sure of the quality of any of the Python IDEs but I don't think that is a big issue since python is such an easy and intuitive langauge anyway.

Soldato
DOn't start with the technology.

Start with what skills are in demand in the workplace and work backwards from there

This, I was very lucky to get a trainee job working on a Oracle Retail implementation (SQL based). I couldn't join 2 tables together in SQL, however I had the right skills and drive. Fast forward a few years and I'm now much advanced in both functional and technical aspects of the system (PL SQL etc)

If you are coding in a language every day, you'll quickly pick it up (think learning French living in France)

Without living and breathing it every day, you'll not pick it up anywhere near as much (Try a home project)

Of course you need a company to take a punt on you :p

Back
Top Bottom