BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Associate
You'll be able to get FTTP sometime next year if you're willing to swallow a somewhat large installation fee.

Oh, that's interesting. Has it been confirmed how large is large yet? With crostalk I'm down to about 60/20 now, so it depends how much...

aln

aln

Associate
Oh, that's interesting. Has it been confirmed how large is large yet? With crostalk I'm down to about 60/20 now, so it depends how much...

No. Rumour is it'll be a bespoke fee based on a quote you'll recieve after you ask. Some suspect that means "if you need to ask, you can't afford it", but it might just be that they're willing to be fair to people who live 2 meter from a their cab.

Associate
anyone here manage to get fastpath back on the line when you have been switched to interleaving
getting 14ms to bbc.co.uk

5ms in Counter-Strike servers so not really a big deal but still :)

are bt done with testing 30a profile wonder how long we will have to wait for it

Last edited:
Associate
Maybe soon we will be talking about GB instead of MB speeds ;/

Imagine a world where you can download 20 full-length movies in a second. Well, that's a reality a team of scientists based in Bangor, Wales are fighting for. They are researching ways of cramming more data down fiber-optic cables and negating "dispersion" (the deterioration of data when carried over longer distances at increased rates). Previous attempts to solve the issue have focused on more fibers, more lasers and other signal-boosting techniques. The team in Bangor are focusing their attention on existing Optical Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing technology. By developing a method to convert data into electrical waves, and then into optical data, which can be decoded at the either end with their proprietary system. While the 20Gbps speeds they are working with are far from unheard of, the key is making them practical and accessible to consumers, without expensive new infrastructure. The next steps are to look at ways of commercializing the technique, but the scientists think there's still potential for improvement, believing speeds of up to 40Gbps being possible, meaning fast connections that can multitask.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-20183914

Associate
Modem dropped the connection last night randomly.

Welcome to my world, lol. This happens to me on a pretty frequent basis and it's so aggravating ;_;, I'm glad I'm not the only one now though! xD

Has anyone been noticing performance/speed drops as of recently? I've gone from like 50mb/13mb to around 25mb/10mb, also my ping has increased from 15-17 to about 60'ish.

Nothing has changed which is why I'm slightly concerned.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
anyone here manage to get fastpath back on the line when you have been switched to interleaving
getting 14ms to bbc.co.uk

5ms in Counter-Strike servers so not really a big deal but still :)

You're not interleaved if you're getting 5ms.

Man of Honour
Welcome to my world, lol. This happens to me on a pretty frequent basis and it's so aggravating ;_;, I'm glad I'm not the only one now though! xD

Has anyone been noticing performance/speed drops as of recently? I've gone from like 50mb/13mb to around 25mb/10mb, also my ping has increased from 15-17 to about 60'ish.

Nothing has changed which is why I'm slightly concerned.
Only happens once a month or so. Was at 2am, so no biggy. Speeds as good as ever.

Associate
You're not interleaved if you're getting 5ms.

I'm getting 5ms to bbc.co.uk when I'm on fasth path and i can see interleaving is on
when i check the modem stats

maybe the game reports wrong steam servers say 15ms before i join in game
5ms-10ms in game

Last edited:
Soldato
Tested it again today after getting into work. Most servers seem to be between 130-170 then I got this.
2292153195.png

Associate
its been 2 weeks now and my speeds have dropped from 71mb to 61mb and still a upload speed of 16mb. was getting 15ms ping on the speed tests but now its more 25-30ms

Associate
Moving house in 3 weeks, been told by Sky that i can get Sky Fibre Unlimited.

Are sky the best provider to go for when it comes to FTTC? im currently on there ADSL and probably try and get the FTTC upgrade during the move process.

Soldato
Ive just purchased bt infinity for home.

With recently getting wooden flooring in I laid a cable down in the gap at the walls now sealed for my billion 7800n and found an end compatible for it and a power plug that matched billions output and soldered then heat shrinked the ends it works woo. This is because the plug is a few metres away and I wanted the router as close to the master as possible. Now with BT coming in with the infinity modem I was hoping if someone could post a picture of the plugs output and end so I can dig a compatable plug and end out in preparation for it.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom