• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Micro-stutter Gone with RadeonPro

Soldato
OP
Is everyone looking at something different? The article clearly shows microstutter still being a much bigger issue on CF than SLI.

Not with RadeonPro.

"Aside from a few dropped frames and a handful of spikes when the test changes scenes, our dual-Tahiti card enjoys much smoother sailing. In fact, the end result is often better than what you'd see from a single graphics card, with virtually no micro-stuttering left.

The RadeonPro software is more complicated to use than Nvidia's hardware-based solution because you have to manually create a new profile for each and every game. But the results speak for themselves. This is nothing short of a revelation for the folks who pin the scalability of their gaming machines on multi-GPU configurations, but hate the idea of micro-stuttering. John Mautari, the utility's developer, deserves big thanks from the crew at AMD, to be certain. "

Caporegime
That is a big deal. AMD just landed another right hook square on Nvidia's jaw :D

Lol, careful or Jokester will unleash the pain!

Not with RadeonPro.

"Aside from a few dropped frames and a handful of spikes when the test changes scenes, our dual-Tahiti card enjoys much smoother sailing. In fact, the end result is often better than what you'd see from a single graphics card, with virtually no micro-stuttering left.

The RadeonPro software is more complicated to use than Nvidia's hardware-based solution because you have to manually create a new profile for each and every game. But the results speak for themselves. This is nothing short of a revelation for the folks who pin the scalability of their gaming machines on multi-GPU configurations, but hate the idea of micro-stuttering. John Mautari, the utility's developer, deserves big thanks from the crew at AMD, to be certain. "

Better than single card levels?

I might have to try it out myself. :D

EDIT

Theres no dynamic frame rate control on my version of radeonpro. :(

Last edited:
Man of Honour
All they have done is traded microstutter with input latency - in any situation where you can find out the average sustainable framerate before hand and then clip the framerate to that you will almost eliminate microstutter with any setup but potentially and as in the case here they've traded it for what will be a fairly large increase in average input latency. Going from a mildly spiky but fairly precise feel to a smoother but swimmy/rubber bandy feel.

You can do this with an nVidia card using nvidia inspector its generally not desireable.

Theres a lot of misunderstanding in that article - adaptive vsync isn't primarily there to reduce or eliminate microstutter - vsync on its own does that anyway in a lot of situations by forcing more regular frame output - its there to offset the effect when with vsync on you get massive steps up and down in the framerate and the knock on effect that has to input latency.

EDIT: Ignoring the RadeonPro bit its hard to tell which is actually better out of those 2 solutions - the AMD one has lower average frame latency but larger variation while the nVidia one will feel smoother its got a bit higher average frame latency - from a guess with adaptive vsync on is going to produce the best overall results but I'd rather some minor microstutter and more precise overall feel for most multiplayer games.

Last edited:
Caporegime
All they have done is traded microstutter with input latency - in any situation where you can find out the average sustainable framerate before hand and then clip the framerate to that you will almost eliminate microstutter with any setup but potentially and as in the case here they've traded it for what will be a fairly large increase in average input latency. Going from a mildly spiky but fairly precise feel to a smoother but swimmy/rubber bandy feel.

You can do this with an nVidia card using nvidia inspector its generally not desireable.

Theres a lot of misunderstanding in that article - adaptive vsync isn't primarily there to reduce or eliminate microstutter - vsync on its own does that anyway in a lot of situations by forcing more regular frame output - its there to offset the effect when with vsync on you get massive steps up and down in the framerate and the knock on effect that has to input latency.

EDIT: Ignoring the RadeonPro bit its hard to tell which is actually better out of those 2 solutions - the AMD one has lower average frame latency but larger variation while the nVidia one will feel smoother its got a bit higher average frame latency - from a guess with adaptive vsync on is going to produce the best overall results but I'd rather some minor microstutter and more precise overall feel for most multiplayer games.

Furry muff, i wont bother then. :)

Man of Honour
No harm trying it for yourself - some people may even prefer it - I don't reccomend it personally especially if your into online FPS gaming but it may work better for some games than others.

Back
Top Bottom