Best replacement start menu for Windows 8

Permabanned
I just tried ext7forwin8 and it works great. It adds the windows 7 explorer to windows 8 and still has all the windows 8 features. Perfect.

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/35189-Windows-7-explorer-for-Windows-8

It is also free. Compared to the new release from the same dev which is now $3. Ill never pay for a start menu but he did a great job. I might actually consider moving now that the metro is removed for good.

Associate
OP
groen,

Do you have any screenshots of the before/after of a number of places where there are changes? Start bar included! I'm trying to work out, start bar aside, what visual elements would change as a result of explorer changing.

I still think that StartIsBack is a better solution for me but I'd still like to see what Ex7ForWin8 has to offer. Clearly MS are never going to drop Metro now and therefore removing it entirely does not seem like a great idea to me (I understand the changes can be reverted but then you lose the start menu!) so having a solution where you boot into the desktop and have a start menu back but can load Metro and the corresonding apps seems like a good compromise. Especially considering that with StartIsBack *only* Metro apps show in Metro, therefore it creates a nice division between the desktop (for 'serious' use) and Metro for full-screen simplified applications.

Soldato
After trying out a few I found Start8 to be best for me, but haven't tried StarIsBack yet, may give that a go after the trial ends.

I did try Win 8 without the start button for a week but I got fed up after a while :(.

Associate
OP
After trying out a few I found Start8 to be best for me, but haven't tried StarIsBack yet, may give that a go after the trial ends.

I did try Win 8 without the start button for a week but I got fed up after a while :(.

If I could persuade you to give StartIsBack a go sooner rather than later I'd be really interested to hear your opinion compared to Start8! :)

Associate
OP
I'm being sent a replacement laptop where Windows 7 was not an option (original laptop had Win7 installed but that specification is no longer available). I've considering reinstalling Win7 on it but I do not have a license and from what I can see Win8 plus a start bar give me the best combination... The advantages of the latest OS, the Metro features for use 'if' I ever have the need and still as productive (my only issue with Win8 having looked in the lack of start menu and booting into Metro).

Soldato
I find it surprising that people cant live without the Start Menu? I never used it in all previous versions of Windows. I also hardly use the Metro UI, and im spending 98% of my time in Desktop mode. The only time i use Metro UI is, when i boot up, checking IM messages and Mail through out the day.

I mainly upgraded for the performance and tweaks, though i must admit, if desktop mode wasn't available, then i 100% wouldn't of upgraded.

Soldato
I have been a big critic of the new Metro UI as many will see if they view my other posts on the subject HERE

However, contrary to what some posters assert i.e. I don't like change, that is not true, though it has to be for the better.

I won't however be going back to the old style "start button". I tried it then thought "no" this is silly, stick with it and try to adapt, so I uninstalled Start8 and I'm now back with Metro.

The thing is, Windows is no longer my OS of choice as I have an iMac which I use for most tasks, though I have 8 running as a VM, 8 on a Laptop and XP at work. I will therefore for better or worse stick with the Metro UI and learn to get on with it.

Soldato
After using Windows 8 since official launch I tried start is back today and whilst it's a perfect replacement to the start menu I've actually gotten so use to how Windows 8 does things that it just felt weird using the old start menu.

Associate
OP
Thanks for all of the opinions. Having considered the options I think as it stands I'll be giving StartIsBack a go when the machine arrives. I had a quick play with Win8 in a store yesterday and, sure it is not even time to really get a feel for it let alone give it a chance, I really want to avoid Metro. Having said that, removing it entirely does not seem a good idea.

For me it still seems the options come down to Start8 and StartIsBack and the fact that StartIsBack is a more tightly integrated solution makes more sense. I also like the idea that it makes the Metro launcher only show Metro apps. Seems a good wall to seperate the experience and unless I hear any game changing feedback I'll be giving it a go soon! :)

Thanks again!

Soldato
tbh I really don't see the point in changing back to a start menu.

99% of the time u can stay in desktop mode. you can put all your most used programs / games on your desktop or even customize the start screen to have all your most used programs / games then with 2 clicks you've opened a program or game, in fact that's less clicks than using a start menu which needs 3 or 4 clicks

example... using a start menu you'd click start then point to all programs then u may need to click the slider up/down then click on I.E steam folder so it drops down the list then click steam to start it... so that's 4 clicks

using metro, from the desktop go to bottom left and click then move your mouse fully right or left to slide right or left then click on the program or game u want to start.. so that's 2 clicks

Last edited:
Soldato
I installed Windows 8 on Sunday, first thing I did prior to installing was check out the Start menu apps, however, after installing Windows 8, I want to resist using one, the poster above was correct when they mentioned really the fact you spend most time on the desktop, so if everything is there ,you have no need to actually worry about a start menu, let's face it, you have about 5-20 items on the start menu, just create shortcuts instead!
If you don't like lots of shortcuts creating desktop/taskbar clutter, then simply pin the shortcuts to the live screen - a click in the bottom left corner takes you to the 'new start menu' and your pinned programs are there! It's actually quicker than the previous start menu once you have customised it how you want.

The only thing I am debating is the whole Mail thing, I use Outlook 2010 for my work email, but I have a couple of hotmail accounts as well that I used to use Windows Live Mail with - I don't put them in Outlook as prefer to keep it separate from business email.

I am trying to like the Windows 8 built in mail client, but the fact I cannot seem to find a way to pin it to the start menu / run it in full screen on 2nd monitor, means I will probably revert back to Live Mail for now.

Back
Top Bottom